1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bilbao

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Sarah JB, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Sarah JB

Sarah JB New Member

Hello all
    I remember when i first walked the Camino I couldn't work out why people kept going back, I'm now planning my third trip in May and just looking for some advice.

Last year I walked with my father from SJPP to Pamplona, we then took the bus back to Biarritz airport.

However I met other travellers that were taking a flight from Bilbao to London and I thought I would look at this option this time, as I remember I really enjoyed the climb when leaving Pamplona through all the wind turbines.

What is my best options to get to Bilbao airport? Are there buses or trains from Puente La Reina or do I have to keep walking to Estella?. It seems there are plenty of bus options from Estella.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for your help again.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Sarah JB

Sarah JB New Member

Just looking into this further it seems if i walk to Estella, the bus to Bilbao airport goes back to Pamplona.

so I'm researching more, but if you know the answer, is it therefore quicker to take the bus :-
    from Pamplona to Bilbao airport or
    Pamplona to Biarritz airport

I took the bus last time from Pamplona to Biarritz and I remember seeing a train station en route which could be an option.

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Sarah, there is a very good website "GoEuro". You enter starting point and destination and travel date, then it will scan for best options for travel by plane, train and bus. I just checked travel from Pamplona and Puete La Reina and there are no options from any of these. There are a few options to take a train from Logrono to Bilbao for only 7 euros. Bob

4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah

Bilbao is a wonderful city to visit however please be warned that the European Rugby Champions Cup final will take place in Bilbao on the 12th of May. Hotel accommodation is already scarce that weekend and prices are through the roof.

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Active Member

From Estella you can bus it to Logrono and then from the same station, bus it to Bilbao. Very pleasant trip and not expensive at all. Ticket office helpful.

The walk from Puente La Reina to Estella not very memorable so you'd not miss it much.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  6. Greg Canning

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Active Member

I'll have to agree with you Greg. I recall the factory but not the smell. I've lost my sense of smell so was saved that.

8. Greg Canning

It was horrendous, I think it was a meat rendering plant...ugh. I liked Estella though, another nice town to visit.

9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Sarah

So – You have found out that Camino Walking is addictive :)

Yes – Bilbao is an excellent choice of an alternative airport to use to pick up a Camino – In have used it myself when I split My Camino Frances at Fromista and returned to continue the second section to Santiago de Compostela, I then returned to Bilbao on the FEVE train all the way along the coast from Ferrol taking two days and it was a wonderful end to the Camino :) – I also used Bilbao when I split my Camino Norte at Santander and flew home to the UK.

Besides busses, trains from Bilbao are a good option if you have time, the route out of Bilbao on the RENFE line is wonderful as it claws its way over the coastal mountain range – a trip you won’t forget in a hurry!!

Bilbao is worth at least one overnight stay, there is loads to see and do including the Guggenheim Museum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guggenheim_Museum_Bilbao and the old cities nightlife is Lively :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Greg Canning and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  10. Sarah JB

Sarah JB New Member

Many thanks for all your help. GoEuro site is not giving times at this time, I will check closer the time. I'm going 23rd May, so I will check the calendar to make sure the rugby has finished although i do love rugby, but maybe not the high costs!!!
    I can't find my notes from the first time i walked the Camino :-( but with your advice on the walk from Puente la Reina to Estella i might just stop at Peuente La Reina and take the bus from there if that is an option.
    Although doing more prep today, i have just realised that after booking the cheap flights out, the disadvantage is i will need to take an EXPENSIVE taxi from the airport to SJPP as Express burricot don't pick up after 6pm.

Greg Canning likes this.
  11. Sarah JB

Sarah JB New Member

Indeed Rob, I totally loved my first experience, since then i have been able to persuade people to come back with me just to walk for a few days... Day one SJPP to Roncesvalles is always my favourite day, even last time when we had six hour of continuous rain and blustery wind and only wearing shorts lol.... hoping for sunshine this year!!!

Greg Canning likes this.
  12. Greg Canning

Hi Sarah

I’ve just had a look at my notes from my first Camino. We walked from St Jean to Puente la Reina. We originally planned to walk to Estella but my friend developed blisters. We got a cab (it was Sunday so no buses) back from Puente la Reina to Pamplona and spent a day there. The next day we got a bus from Pamplona back to Biarritz but it involved a long layover in San Sebastián.

If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Puente la Reina I would highly recommend the Hotel El Cerco. A charming little hotel and very very clean.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  13. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

Home Page:
    Sarah,
    Check out if Uber service is offered in said airport. If you are landing at Biarritz airport, check this web site - http://www.uber-fare-estimator.com/route/7fmd. I think you have to use the web site when most Uber cars are running.