1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits & Bobs

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Covey, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Covey

Covey Active Member

Just a few thoughts on items worth carrying, and those that are not.

Needle & Thread. You need a couple of needles and 2-3m of a strong thread and if your trousers and jackets have lots of buttons, a couple of spare buttons of a suitable size. Needles also do blisters.

Toilet Roll. Start out with a roll and keep 1m folded up in your pocket and the rest in a plastic bag in your pack. Keep it in a plastic bag cos soggy loo roll is no use to anyone!!

Clothes Pegs. You need 6 and make sure they have a strong grip. It can get quite breezy in the afternoons and you don't want to find your laundry in the dirt.

Large Safety Pins. Normally found in baby shops!! and very useful for attaching things like towels to the outside of your pack to dry as you walk. Take 4.

Shower Gel. It is showers only in the albergues and hotels so use shower gel instead of solid soap, less messy and will also do as the soap for hand washing your laundry.

Sun Cream + Hat. As you will be out walking in the sun for 6 - 8 hours a day, high factor cream is essential. On the Camino Frances you only get sunburned on one side! A wide brim hat is essential.

Small Knife. You need a small sharp knife for peeling fruit and if you prepare food for yourself. Most albergues have kitchens and utensils, but few sharp knives! A fork and spoon is useful.

Torch A small torch. The new LED ones are useful but you do not need a searchlight, just enough to find your way from your bunk to the loo!

Mobile Phone Charger There are always Nokia chargers amongst fellow travellers, but not often other makes. The new "universal" USB connection standard will make life easier eventually as it will be useful to have one charger covering mobiles and digital cameras.

Notebook and Biro Surprising how often you want to write your address for a friend and nobody has pen and paper.

Cord A length of strong nylon cord about 3 or 4m capable of acting as boot laces or tying up a damaged pack or attaching items to your pack.

Spare Boot/Shoe Laces A spare pair of laces for your footwear.

Plastic Bags 10 large plastic food/freezer bags from your supermarket. Useful for keeping your loo roll in, or wet clothing etc. I keep my pilgrim and National passports in one in one map pocket, and my wallet in another plastic bag in the other map pocket. If your passports and money are safe and dry, it does not matter what else gets wet!

Medical Kit Ibruprofen, Immodium, some surgical wipes, Compeed, small scissors, band aids all in a small waterproof box. Box of matches

Laundry Soap 2 tablets of laundry soap. Albergues usually provide soap for washing machines, but just in case!!

Leave at Home!! Anything to do with SatNav. Notebook computers. Multiple guide books, cos one is enough! Maps (Just follow the yellow arrows!)
    Tents, Anything that takes your pack over 10kgs. Dogs & Cats. Partners, Lovers and anyone who thinks the Camino is just a gentle ramble through the Spanish countryside.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    ChicagoJenn likes this.
  2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Great list of small essentials that are easy to neglect. Thanks, Covey!

3. Ange

Ange New Member

Am going in two weeks and just sat here racking my brains thinking of what else I might need - what a fantastically useful list to have stumbled upon at this stage - am now just off to buy clothes pegs, a torch and some freezer bags - think I have everything else!
    Ange

4. Covey

Covey Active Member

I usually get my freezer bags in Sainsburys and they are about 12" square with self sealing tops. If you put clothes in them, then leave a small gap when you seal them and squeeze the air out and then close the seal. That reduces the volume considerably!

I put all my clothing in plastic bags and then don't bother to carry a waterproof pack cover.

Another very useful thing is a small net laundry bag with a zip closing. I think ladies often use them to put tights in to wash in a washing machine. I usually have one with all my toiletries in, and another which I use for socks etc if I share a load in a washing machine.

If you don't already have a pair, Crocs are brilliant for when you are not pounding the trail!

5. Orava

Orava Active Member

There are also cheap quick drying (e.g. Tatonka Travel Waistbelt 10€ ish) belts made from webbing that now available with a zippered hidden inner pocket useful to hold emergency money and a maybe a cellotape (durex in Aus?) encapsulated passport photocopy in case disaster strikes.

6. jozero

jozero New Member

I found a great little 20' clothes line made by Sea to Summit that weighs a mere ounce and stuffs into it's own neoprene case with a clip on each end. Fantastic for hanging clothes to dry between bunk beds.

As an add-on to Covey's small knife suggestion, getting one with a built-in corkscrew is handy. Amazing how hard it was to find a corkscrew to buy in Spain and I didn't find screw caps overly abundant yet.

While it's not a 'thing', in addition to putting your passport/wallet in bags, taking a photo of your passport details and credit card numbers and emailing it to yourself is a lifesaver if you lose it or have to 'borrowed' by someone else.

I also added a small container of hand sanitizer in my toilet roll bag. :)

7. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Jozero.

Good idea
    I do that with passport, take a photo of the details and email it to myself......also a photo of my rucksack before it goes on the belt for hold Luggage on the plane....so you can show them exactly what it looks like.

8. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  9. travellin' light

travellin' light Member

My husband cut several round discs from tyre tubing and they made great sink stoppers, (more effective than using a sock) when doing the laundry. We donated a couple en route to grateful recipients.

Patty van Hest likes this.