1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Recommendation: The Roads To Santiago

Discussion in 'Pilgrim Books' started by Wily, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Just refamiliarized myself with Derry Brabbs’ book The Roads to Santiago: The Landscapes and Architecture of the World’s Greatest Pilgrim Route (2008; paperback, 2013). An excellent coffee table-type book full of fabulous photos and the history associated with several of the Camino routes. The first half of Brabbs’ book focuses on routes beginning deep inside France: Le Puy, Vézelay, Chartres, and Arles/Toulouse. The second half is all about the Camino Francés beginning in SJPP and finishing in Santiago. For anyone who has walked the CF, the images are like a homecoming. Traveling across such a diverse and historical landscape, it’s hard to remember all the details of what one sees. The historical and architectural information far exceed what one can find in any guidebook. Step by step, I found it great fun to retrace my pilgrimage through the photos and text offered in The Roads to Santiago. Although it’s a bit expensive ($46 on Amazon), I’m sure your public library can get it through inter-library loan. Buen Camino!

AF2A10C1-D434-47EB-803E-5615E85F792B.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Will see if my library can get it.

Wily likes this.
  3. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Wily.
    I would recommend Field of Stars (Compostela) by Susie Tarver. It's and excellent read, an inspirational book. A story of her journey to Santiago Compostela . Susie brought a tumbled down cottage in France which was located on the ancient pilgrims route to Santiago Compostela. Inquisitiveness, getting the better of her, Susie decided to walk the camino from her cottage on her own to Santiago. The book is full of of, awe, fun, laughter, pain, pitfalls and privations of be she experienced her journey. I

It's available on Amazon £4.99. excellent value for money and a book you will treasure and want to share with others.

Carpe diem

Raymond John

UnkleHammy, Dinah and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Raymond - I’ve got the Tarver book on my bookshelf. Before walking the CF, I read everything I could get my hands on. There were, at the time, a number of excellent publications to read. With all the time most of us spend in preparation for our Camino, these memoire-type reads really help keep the fire burning and the anticipation climbing. Although there are now a number of self-published books about Camino experiences, some of the better ones, like the Tarver book, has been around for a while and are usually attached to a publishing house. So, whether you’re about to walk or have already done so, I completely agree with you that Field of Stars is well worth the read. Buen Camino!

Ginamarie likes this.
  5. Dinah

Dinah Member

I got it and started to read it. Then my trip to the Camino got cancelled due to injured hamstring and it's too hard for me to read Camino books. Estoy tan triste y deprimida. But I like what I did read, and will finish it some day.

Wily likes this.