1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Recommendation: Ultralight Backpacking Tips

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Last spring when I walked the Camino Francés, I carried a 17-18 pound pack following the 10% recommendation. By the time I hit Pamplona, I had already ditched a couple pounds of what I had before leaving considered useful and important "stuff". I still think about a young friend of mine who was carrying with him a 64oz. bottle of body wash! As I plan my Camino Portugués this coming spring, I'm determined that I won't be leaving upstate New York with a backpack weighing more than 12-13 pounds. Yes, even this far out, my quest for "light" or "lighter" has already begun.

I just finished reading Mike Clelland's book Ultralight Backpacking Tips. The author offers 153 amuzing and inexpensive tips for cutting the weight you're carrying in your pack. Although Clelland isn't specifically writing for Camino pilgrims, many of his ideas apply. I'm not ready to sacrific my Opinel knife nor my underwear quite yet as he suggests, but many of the other tips will definitely help me make my weight goal. From clothes, to shoes, to hiking poles and even tooth paste pods, there are enough good ideas in this book to warrant paying $10 for it. You, too, might find it helpful whether you're a Camino veteran or a newbie. "To walk far, carry less."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Ginamarie likes this.