Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Boots/shoes?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kim Federici, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

I have a lovely pair of boots and I hike for 4 hours in them easily and am not dying to get out of them instantly. I have been reading a lot of people talking about using running shoes but I feel I need the ankle support of the boot. I still have a couple of months for training, but is it just personal choice in this matter or is there any other ergonomic reason? I feel like I could go to 6 hours pretty easily, but will take light tevas possibly.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Plenty of people hike in boots, Kim. It sounds like you have a good plan. You won't be the only one, and it's an advantage to walk in shoes you like and that are well-broken in. If you find they become a problem (or if they wear through), there are some places to get new shoes along the way if you really have to. You probably know about blister prevention and foot care. You'll see people hiking in all kinds of things - I walked with someone who walked the entire way in strappy Chacos because she had a bad bunion (she did fine) and saw people walking in flip-flops and slippers on bad-feet-days. I walked two Caminos in hiking shoes (Merrell Siren Sport II's - not really boots, but sturdier than trail runners) and this time am switching to trail runners just because they're so much more cushioned and comfortable. Buen Camino to you!

hindsfeet and RJS like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    As C4S has said, you should walk what your feet are happy in – And it’s a case of different things suite different people :)

I prefer lightweight fabric “Gortex” boots as these keep my feet dry in wet weather (I wear gaiters to stop the rainwater wicking down my socks) but let them breath and therefore stop them getting overly hot and sweaty in hot dry weather – Being as though they are boots, they also give me some ankle support which, personally, I find useful.

Don’t forget to choose a good sock combination as this is also very important – I used to use Bridgedale Liners and Thulo Outers, but I was given some 1.000 Miler socks when I did by Big Camino 3 years ago – I walked 1.000 miles from my home ion Cumbria, NW England to Santiago de Compostela and not a single blister !!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Kim Federici and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Kim - As you'll have seen from a number of threads on this Forum, there are different perspectives on this issue. I think that the bottom line is answering the question of what will work best for your feet? You know your feet best. If you feel that you need ankle support, then boots might be the best way to go. The terrain of the CF is not particularly difficult so one sees a lot of variation in footwear. The low cut hiking shoe and trail running shoes are very popular, but one also sees folks wearing boots. A typical day tends to be between 4-6 hours of walking. Sounds like you're already comfortably at the 4 hour mark. With wanting ankle support and your already established comfort level, it sounds like you have the footwear that will work for you on the Camino. Although I wear Merrell Moab GTXs and am equally comfortable in trail running shoes, my choices are based on my feet and what I know works. They're not necessarily the best choices for you. With that said, I do like having a waterproof shoe and I, too, carry gaiters for those particularly wet days. I've also gone to alternating Injinji toe socks with good quality mid-weight wool socks and I apply Body Glide to my feet every morning. Midway through a day's hike, I change socks. On the Camino, you'll find no topic talked more about than feet. Log as many hours walking, in your boots, with your backpack, as you can before your Camino and you'll be prepared! Buen Camino!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Crepes4Suzette

I might have to try to cut down my knee-high gaiters or get low ones - the knee hi's just feel like big contraptions to me. I'd never heard of gaiters before listening to the Brits talk about wearing them. I wore rain pants the last 2 times, so didn't need the sock protection, but this year might just take gaiters. Unless I decide to go all Clampett-style and wrap plastic bags around my ankles in the rain.....:0)).

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  6. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

7. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I liked some of the other comments on specific as well as successful sock suggestions. Do you have any specific like or dislike for Compeed as a blister treatment...or did you just not need any?

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

Congratulations on the 1,000 mile camino!

9. Crepes4Suzette

It's a pleasure to be of help! I alternate days between Injinjis (love Injinjis) and Thorlos with knee-hi nylons underneath, rolled down, to reduce friction. I couldn't find reasonably priced Compeed substitute here in the U.S. before my first Camino, so used other methods instead. I take - in a small baggie - tiny manicure scissors, a roll of 3M Nexcare's "Absolute" Waterproof, stretchy tape for taping bony or prominent spots preventatively, a needle and thread, a bunch of alcohol prep pads, a little tube of triple antibiotic ointment and about 10 medium bandaids to go over the whole "Spanish Method" of draining blisters and treating them so they don't refill and don't get infected (don't use this method if you are diabetic!). I also take a handful of (weightless) New Zealand hikers' wool, which really helps cushion where needed if needed, for instance in front of toes on days of steep descents. I've heard people say that Compeed is great, but also heard people warn that if you try to pull them off before they come off on their own over time, it's a problem. I actually didn't have any blisters either time, but did have "pinchy toes" when didn't have Injinjis on, and an exacerbated bunion that required some shoe surgery. You are wise to gather information about footcare!

10. Wily

Hey C4S - I carried and used rain pants on my first Camino. Only pulled them out a couple of times. For me, it was like being in a sauna. My hiking shorts/pants were soaked due to the moisure buildup inside while wearing the rain pants.

Only rained hard enough last trip to wear my gaiters once, but they worked like a charm. Check out the Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters by Outdoor Research. Extremely light weight and the fit is excellent for keeping water out. i hot mine on Amazon for anout $24. Even though I may next ditch my poncho, the gaiters will say a part of my kit.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. Wily

Hey C4S- Didn't know it was called the "Spanish Method," but from my experience, that's the way to go. I used Compeed a year ago with terrible results. Liquid built up and caused my blisters to get increasingly larger. Not what any hiker wants. One sees a lot of Compeed sold in Spanish pharmacies, but I'd recommend staying away from it. My wife developed a handful of blisters in Portugal and we treated them the "Spanish" way. Treat them immediately! As you said, drain them and make sure they don't refill. Keep them clean and cover them with a simple paper pharmaceutical tape. Let them air/dry out after your hiking day is completed. By keeping them from refilling snd keeping them small, her blisters were a very minimal distraction on our Camino. We also taped any hotspots just as a precaution. Like you, I, too, use the Injinji toe socks. Because of their design, toes can't rub against one another causing blisters. Anyone who walks a long distance will learn a great deal about foot care. Shoes, socks, foot care, and backpack weight, are all part of the formula when it comes to having a good Camino!

12. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

The suggestion for the 'handful of yarn' made me smile. It sounds so very sensible, and I am a wool-gathering knitter!!! I do feel that the time I have before I start on Sept 3 needs to be used for training more than anything I have done before, just by virtue of my age. I want to seek out the stress points within the points that I might not have felt at earlier times. I have good areas to work on descents around where I live in southern TX so I am focusing my walks on those fairly frequently. The way my boots align my ankles seems to also discipline (align) my knees and hips better too. The delight of the preparation is so much a part of the adventure. I am gifting myself this adventure for my 75th birthday and know it will give me a deeper, richer view of what is still to come for my life. Again,, thanks for your feedback.

13. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks Wily!! I think I'll order some and remember seeing those. They have a certain "cool factor" too....people wearing gaiters always look to me like they know what they're doing and are "real hikers":0))).

14. Crepes4Suzette

What a beautiful post, Kim! You have chosen an excellent time of year to walk. I'm envious of your living in Southern Texas and have relatives in Hideaway Lake outside of Dallas where I take road trips sometimes in the winter. Here's something to know in case you haven't been in Northern Spain in the Fall weather before (and maybe, like me, being someone who prefers warmer weather): The Spanish don't turn heat on until sometime very late in the year. My first Camino was finished in Mid-October in Santiago and along with the rain, I froze for days. Do your best to take whatever will keep your clothes dry and give you enough warmth (e.g. instead of a liner, take a lightweight sleeping bag). I'm so happy for you and hope you continue to enjoy your preparations, and I wish you a wonderful Camino!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  15. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Thank you C4S. The blister monster is my major concern on the Camino. Great info that
    you and Wily offer. I will be putting together that first-aid kit. I am sorry C4S, but I start
    laughing like crazy every time I see you talk about the knee-high nylons underneath,
    ROLLED DOWN!! Ha!!!! Making sure we don't get the visual of you hiking with those
    knee-high nylons hugging your lower leg. Perhaps in a navy blue, or opaque white? Ha!

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  16. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

I thought C4S's original plastic bag idea seemed pretty cool. Sort of 'I'm just beyond cool gear casual/saving plastic, etc. But I am going to check out your lightweights!

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  17. Wily

Hey Kim - A Camino! What a great 75th birthday gift to give yourself!

Let me add support to a few things C4S suggested:

1. Since you'll be walking in Sept/Oct. a sleeping bag is a good idea. You can find very light one-season bags that will do the trick for you. Although many albergues offer blankets, not all do. So, on those chilly nights or after a day of walking in the rain, a sleeping bag is usually most welcoming!

2. Also, with that time of year in mind, think layering. Having layers of clothing allows to you take off or put on depending on the conditions. You should have some great weather then, but you do want to be prepared chilly mornings or rain.

3. There are a number of threads on this Forum regarding what to take on your Camino. My best suggestion is to keep your pack as light as possible. As there is nothing you can't buy in Spain, think of "essentisls" and not about the "what ifs." Carrying a light load will also pay big rewards when it comes to how your body feels. Your hips, knees, legs, and feet will all thank you! Buen Camino!

18. Wily

Hey Kim - On those particularly wet days, a pair of gaiters can really help keep your feet dryer. The Outdoor Research ones I carry add very little weight to my kit, but they're worth their weight in gold in really wet conditions. My wife has the women's version and for both of us, they close up very nicely preventing water from running down the leg or pants and going inside the shoe.

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  19. Crepes4Suzette

LOL!! I should stop trying so hard to pretend I'm not the geek that I kind of am:0)). Maybe I'll take some of those sheer fuschia knee-hi's on the next Camino, NOT roll them down, and remove all doubt!

20. Wily

C4S - You're giving the term "fashionista" a whole new meaning! And, I, for one, will give you full credit for the fuscia knee-hi craze that pilgrims will go wild over after seeing you model them over the Pyrenees!

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  21. Crepes4Suzette

LOLOL! Maybe on a double-dog-dare:0)).

22. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

C4S.....do you need a business partner to get this branded and head to "SHARK TANK"? I think we should make them glow in the dark. The brand- GLOW-WALK. Tag line= light your Way! LOL!!!!!!

23. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Donating Member Donating Member

C2S are these the type of "nylons" you will be wearing? Here is YorkieUltraRunner from last year and this is how he dressed.

20160505_070708.jpg

danvo, hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  24. Crepes4Suzette

That's it exactly, Unkle Hammy! I remember YorkieRunner from last year. He was amazing. I hope he's doing well.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  25. UnkleHammy

He stayed in the same B+B that I did in Saint Jean. We had dinner together and he left the next morning. I haven't heard much from him since then. But he did complete the walk in the low 20s of days.

26. Wily

If I remember correctly, Yorkie completed the CF in 21 days, broken toe and all! Not too shabby! Unklehammy, can we expect to see some photos of you in similar brightly colored socks? You could make the Camino fashion statement before C4S gets a chance to!

27. UnkleHammy

Ladies first!

danvo, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  28. Crepes4Suzette

That's right Wily! He's leaving before I am! Chartreuse DayGlo for yours, UnkleHammy:0))

hindsfeet likes this.
  29. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Member

I have a perfect sort of lightweight "tropical" bag and have used it for transitional season camping. And fortunately living in So TX does lend to layers in the seasons between very hot and pretty chilly. If I wear everything I am taking and crawl into my bag, even if no one turns on the heat, I will live to see the next day.

I am aiming for 13lbs/about 20 kilos and am 130 lbs. I hope to build up a stronger core and upper body (shoulder muscle mass) in my workout plan. Everything drifts south over time and while I want my feeet to get the prime attention, I will work on keeping the bag light. I walk with it now at about 13kilos and I am comfortable after 4 hours of hilly walking. You guys contributions are helping my enthusiasm for the trip exponentially. It is a singular experience truly and I am loving the notion of "refresh" button setting for my ongoing world view through this trip. Thanks for your encouragement.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  30. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

Hi @Kim Federici , As Wily and I mentioned on another Thread,
    A Blister needs to be drained out, if you put a Compeed on, it will seal the blister completely and the fluid will expand the blister, Then, when you take the Compeed off it will reap your soft skin leaving an open wound ,
    Only use Compeed if you are prone to getting blisters in a particular place or to protect bunions, or if you can get to a hotspot really early , other ways stay away from Compeed
    I think everyone have covered Boots or shoes . Sounds to me like you have the correct footwear already !
    Buen Camino

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and Kim Federici like this.