Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Breakfast

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

As I will be there in three weeks maybe I should get used to what to eat for breakfast.
    So what can I expect to get as breakfast .
    I have had years of bacon and eggs with toast. Am I in for a shock .:)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Terry - Getting bacon and eggs might be a stretch! However, the food in Spain is great! Although I can't say I
    had bacon, the Jamon de Iberia is to die for! Typically, I'd enjoy the ham daily, but mostly on a sandwich for lunch. More common for breakfast is finding a cafe/bar serving tortilla de patatas. Think of it more like a fritata of egg and potato usually served at room temperature by the slice. Along with a cafe con leche, it's a very filling breakfast. Most places also had croissants or similar pasteries available. Depending on your morning departure time, you might find yourself walking for an hour or so before stopping for something to eat. At any cafe/bar along The Way, you'll find many of your fellow pilgrims doing the same thing every morning. It may not be the type of breakfast you're use to, but go into it with an open mind and taste buds ready to enjoy some really good food! Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Thank you Wily. Sounds like I can make an early start in the morning dont hang around for their breakfast and get something on the way. This suites me as I am an early riser.

Greg Canning likes this.
  4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

"Room temperature" - really???? I only ever got cold or tepid tortilla but in Pamplona we did find a place where we got ham 'n eggs. Now that was some breakfast. Luckily we had decided to take the morning off for R&R so had time to enjoy it.

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily likes this.
  5. Wily

Hey Greg - Must have been my lucky mornings to get my slices of tortilla at room temperature! Quite delicious!

Have now made the tortilla de patatas at home several times and it's not quite the same, but still very tasty as a meal in itself or to go along with other dishes. Here's a video (in Spanish, but visually easy to follow) of the recipe I used. Buen provecho!

hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  6. Greg Canning

Thanks Wily

Will definitely give it a shot!

Buen Camino

Greg

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Terry, the majority of places (albergues and bar/restaurants) provided a simple breakfast of orange juice, café con leche and toast with butter / jelly or a croissant. The cost was usually around 3 or 4 euros per person. Many restaurants advertise this on a sign at the door or on their window. We experienced price gouging at a few places - the same meal for 7 euros or higher!

A tortilla espanola / de patatas is a good breakfast, but also available for lunch. This usually was offered with a slice of baguette. We sometimes ate at room temperature and many places asked us if we wanted it warmed up in a micro wave.

A real treat if you like hot chocolate is "churros", which is a toasted dough which is dipped into hot chocolate - quite delicious!

Greg Canning likes this.
  8. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hello there now this is one of my interest areas as many of us brits are weaned upon the bacon and eggs from an early age within my generation. As always great accurate info from the many helpful positive posts from forum members. On my first Camino Frances in 2013 I recall getting the Spanish bacon and eggs for breakfast after leaving Cacabelos on the main road before going off road to Villafranca. My anticipation was high but thin streaky very well cooked streaky bacon was all I got but it was good on a Sunday morning and made me miss home for a brief moment !
    Another tip I picked up was to get your Tortilla warmed was to ask "Zesto ding ding por favour !" along with button pressing gestures and smiles often worked !
    If you walk on to Fisterra the café La Frontier opposite the bus station makes the best scrambled eggs on the Camino it's worth the walk there for it ?
    Good luck with the breakfasts but make sure you gets some lunch is hours away.
    Regards dalebob

Greg Canning and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  9. Followtheyellowarrows

Followtheyellowarrows New Member

We sometimes purchased some fruit or yogurt the day before to eat before heading out for the day. Then 5-10 kms in we'd stop for cafe con leche and something small like tortilla, pastry or toast. In a few larger towns we were able to find bacon and eggs but not usually for breakfast as we left early in the morning. At one or two albergues we were served cookies for breakfast... something new for this Canadian!

Greg Canning likes this.
  10. John Hawke

John Hawke New Member

Home Page:
    IMG_1634.JPG

Breakfast at A Calzada on my next to the last day of my Camino

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  11. Wily

Hey John - Love the breakfast beer to wash down the bacon and eggs. The perfect meal! Buen Camino!

12. Greg Canning

That's just so unfair mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

As if there weren't enough incentives to get back on the Camino :))

Buen Camino

Greg

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  13. Mary

Mary Member

We usually ate toast, butter and jelly with Cafe con leche for breakfast. We did however enjoy Eggs, Bacon and Papas (French Fries) at around 11 am or so for lunch! The eggs in Spain are so amazing!!! Dark orange yolks and so flavorful. Much more so than the eggs in the States. We would mix it all together with the papas..soooo good! I remember having that for dinner as well a couple of times too :)

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  14. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

This might be a chance to try something different and call it a part of the "Camino experence"

Greg Canning likes this.
  15. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

During our 2015 camino, we stayed at three different paradors - in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Leon and Villafranca del Bierzo. The cost for a room is a bit expensive, but so luxurious, it's worth the price. The room price included one free drink for my wife and I and breakfast the next morning. The breakfast buffet was fabulous - extending over several tables. I'm not sure if an overnight stay is required or you can just pay for breakfast. It's worth checking out if you want to treat yourself. We're staying at the same paradors for our upcoming camino along with my brother and his wife.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  16. Greg Canning

Hi Bob

I understand there are two paradors in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. We stayed in the one by the main square in March and I have to say we were severely disappointed. There was no soundproofing between rooms and we could hear comings and goings all night including our neighbour having a very excited telephone conversation at 2.30 am!

Maybe we were just unlucky that that there seemed to be a conference crowd or tour staying. They were very noisy and the staff seemed totally disinterested. To be honest we slept better in the albergues and paid far far less. Having said that we hope to stay in the parador in Leon on our next section of the Camino :)

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  17. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Greg, sorry to learn that you did not have a good experience in the parador at Santo Domingo de la Calzada. You are right - maybe there was a big event going on. During our last camino, we were greatly disappointed to learn that a room was not available for us on our preferred night at the parador in Leon. We decided to take our first rest day in Leon and stayed at the municipal albergue. We were pleased that a room was available on the following (Saturday) evening. When we checked in, the parador was jammed with people. We learned that a wedding reception was being held there and most of the rooms had been rented out by guests of the wedding.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Leon parador. There is so much history in that building and the adjacent chapel. My favorite statue of the entire camino is located just outside the parador in the plaza - the bronze statue of the weary pilgrim, sandals off. Really captures the spirit of a tired but dedicated pilgrim.

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  18. Greg Canning

thanks Bob,

I hope to check out the Leon Parador in a few weeks :))) Just starting to plan our Autumn Camino.

Buen Camino

Greg