1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing Your Dog On Camino

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Greg Canning, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

This is a subject that, to say the least, has caused some robust debate. I have two dogs and I have to say that given my experience over the 650kms or so that I have completed I would never bring them. In my view it is too much to ask of our faithful companions. The link below is to an account by a young american girl who brought her dog on the Camino. It is a very honest assessment of their experience and I think it would give anyone contemplating bringing their dog pause for thought.

http://colbymillsaps.com/camino-with-dogs/

Buen Camino

Greg

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg - Completely agree with you regarding giving pause and really thinking about whether the Camino is a place for a dog. I had the pleasure of meeting a beautiful young two-year-old English Setter on my CF. Although Diana did make the entire Camino, there were times when she was visibly suffering and in great pain. Her biggest problem was that her paws were not up to the daily grind of so many kilometers on varied and sometimes tough terrain. Although I’m with my dogs 24/7, putting either of them through an 800 km trek seems unkind. One may not wish to leave them behind, but remember that they can’t understand the experience you’re exposing them to. Good post Greg! Buen Camino!

3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I havd heard that dogs on the PCT have serious problems with the constant rough walking. Most dogs don't walk multiple hours a day.

4. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne Member

Never really thought about how it would treat them wearing booties. Yes they need to sweat and be able to cool themselves. I have came upon many people hiking here in AZ Phoenix area that are so not prepared with their dogs. Many a dog I have given water to from my water bladder mouthpiece which does not bother me at all and they really needed it and then their masters or whatever you want to call them are so amazed that their dog drank from me or did not realize how thirsty their dog was. 1 couple I threatened to call the Sheriff on them I was back to trailhead wanting to stop hotter than the dickens and they were starting and almost 100 degrees out. Just 1 water bottle I followed them took pictures and they finally got disgusted and left. I was glad because I was having a hard time with the heat. Long winded but I really care about the safety of the animals pack horses mules etc. they can not make the decision for themselves like their owners do that is why I will not do Havasupai Falls Up at the Grand Canyon area they work the animals to death I would probably get my you know what kicked for mouthing off. O well my 2 cents worth. Great blog by this lady and hope it opens some eyes!