1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Btw Ad?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by stevelm1, Aug 26, 2015.

1. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    Leslie, Not sure if you noticed, and/or endorse ByTheWay travel. I have not seen anyone do this before. Just curious if them putting an ad on the forum is cool?

2. stevelm1

Home Page:
    Maybe I am just a deranged purist but it looks like this site is starting to get invaded by advertisers posting as pilgrims. Here is the latest one...

Consider Our Plan What Is Alliance In Motion

3. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I don't know, Steve. I think it's very considerate of Leslie to provide so many opportunities for old jossers like myself to meet gorgeous young women. Between 'Date Russian Women' and other 'relationship' sites I think he does a pretty good job. In fact, I'm strongly thinking of ceasing my subscription to the forum because every time I log on all these wonderful invitations disappear!!

4. stevelm1

Home Page:
    Hobbler I am sure Leslie can flip the switch for you if you ask. You can donate and get the ads too!

5. ThirstyEric

ThirstyEric Member

@stevelm1 All forums seem to struggle with fake users signing up for the purpose of pushing commercial posts --- also known as "spam." This forum has less spam than many of them I've joined.

If you see a post that looks like spam, just click the "Report" link at the bottom of the post and enter a reason for reporting the post. It doesn't need to be a long explanation. I usually just type one word --- "spam." You can also use the Report function to report other bad behavior such as profanity or abuse.

The first post you mentioned actually looked like a real person offering a service that might be of interest to some pilgrims and was directly related to Santiago, and a real person actually did reply to comments in the thread. I don't know what the site's policy on such commercial posts is, but I think it's probably fine to report the post and let Leslie or other admins sort it out.

This last post you reported seems like a clear-cut case of spam, and I reported it. There was another similar spam post yesterday that I reported too.

Leslie likes this.
  6. ThirstyEric

ThirstyEric Member

@Hobbler I am now getting ads for Chinese-Lady.com! If you get tired of the Russians, maybe click over and check out the Chinese. Maybe these can all be aggregated together somewhere --- "Date your nation's geopolitical foes!" Lol! The Internet is nuts!

7. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes, we have had more spam this week than usual getting passed the filters.

If you see any, just as Eric suggested hit report and spam and I will deal with.

Sorry hobbler...

And this is much better than the old software. On the old software I moderated all the initial posts of everyone who joined, which meant that there could be quite a few hours between someone posting and it appearing on the forum - not a great user experience.

I don't agree with commercial posts normally either. More so when they don't bother asking me, so that one has been deleted.

I wonder if people would find posts from tour companies etc of use? Any thoughts?

8. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Leslie, I knew it was too good to last!

In relation to tour companies I think a few people using this forum have found them useful. I believe, from my wife's experience, they can suit quite a number of people who wish to do part of the camino but, because of lack of time or physical condition, need the assistance that tour companies provide.

Leslie likes this.
  9. jwmarshall

jwmarshall New Member

Tour companies. I'd prefer not to have try to identify if the post is from a tour company since the content would be commercial (even if cunningly done).
    But there is a value in what they offer. Maybe you could set up a special section for them with the ability to search for the area they are posting about (Frances, Ingles, Portugese etc) and the time of year.
    Or something like that, so the posts don't crowd out the personal comments from the actual participants on the Camino. The comments from real people on the Camino and their experiences are the reason I read the blog.

10. ThirstyEric

ThirstyEric Member

One forum I am on (unrelated to Camino) has a section specifically for vendors. The administrator requires all commercial posts on the forum to be in that section. Also, I think the administrator requires anyone who starts a commercial thread in the forum to be a paid forum sponsor, because the forum is basically acting as a platform for a form of advertising. It may be more of a headache than it is worth, but there may be some services that could be of value to some members. Another option would be to ask anyone who has a commercial message to pay for an actual banner ad.