Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Budgeting

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Colette0131, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Hi,
    Heading out to do my first Camino walking from Porto in April. I have booked accommodation as it seems very busy around Easter. Was trying to work out a food/drink budget and was wondering if anyone could advise?

Thanks

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Colette - I'll be just a couple weeks ahead of you also leaving from Porto. As you have done, I, too, have booked many of my accomodations. I walked the Camino Francés last year on a budget of 30€ a day. When the cost of my albergue is taken out, I easily ate and drank on 20-25€ a day. Breakfast and lunch were always light meals for me. I usually took the Pilgrim's Dinner at either the albergue or a nearby restaurant. The typical dinner cost 10€. Local wine is very cheap; beer just a bit more. If you do any of your own cooking, which I didn't, you can cut your expenses even more. I have to say that, in general, the dinners offered at the albergues were of very good quality and the camaraderie that develops with your fellow pilgrims worth every penny of the cost. Buen Camino!

3. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Hi Wily, thanks for replying you have made me less worried about the budgeting. I don't intend to cook and a budget of 25 euros a day seems fine. I read on a couple of threads that you have to be careful with belongings on the Camino Frances is it safer on the Camino Portugues?

James Orrock and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Hey Colette - Until I walk it, I'm not able to make a comparison. However, regarding the Camino Francés, I would say that, generally speaking, it is quite safe. With that said, I do think being cautious is always the way to go regardless of where you are traveling. I did have a Camino friend have her daypack stolen while relaxing out in a park in Leon and another friend had his camera stolen from his bed in an albergue in Santiago. So, things do happen! The only time that I felt at all uncomfortable was walking some of the alternate routes and not seeing another pilgrim for miles. In general, there are lots of people one can walk with on the CF, but some of the alternate routes don't see many pilgrims. If you were going to take an alternative, I'd suggest you find someone to walk it with. Don't go off the beaten path alone. Otherwise, use good common sense and keep your valuables secured or with you at all times. You'll have a great Camino!

5. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Thanks Wily, Happy travels!

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

There is a closed group, CAMIGAS, on Facebook. It is for females only and it may answer other questions for you.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. Wily

Hey Colette - On the Caminoteca website, I found this COST CALCULATOR that you might find helpful. When I put my rough numbers in from last year, it was pretty spot on. Budgeting isn't rocket science, but the categories on this calculator will give you a good idea of your daily spending depending on your choices. Buen Camino'
    !

8. veworley

veworley New Member

tried to find this on FB...didn't come up. My partner (female) and I begin walking April 30 from St. Jean. Love the info on this forum. Thanks.

9. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Fab Wily I just tried it out and it leaves me with a little emergency cash to spare. Thank you for you help, its really helped.

James Orrock and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I have never tried to join it, maybe a female here has succeeded. If you do succeed please let me know.

11. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

veworley, Maybe try Googling "Camigas Buddy System for Women on Camino" and go from there? It should come up if you search it through your own Facebook account, which you have to have to join. It requires just a quick sign-up. When I log onto Facebook, I'm automatically linked by a shortcut. There are women from all over the world signed up. Maybe try it once more?

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  12. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

I should have said that my accommodation is already sorted so I was focusing on the food/drink budget. The calculator is great and a very worthwhile exercise. Thanks

13. Amys3dogs

Amys3dogs New Member

Dear knowledgeable friends, do you think that it is necessary to book our albergues for our June walk from Porto to Santiago? I was hoping to play it by ear, but I don't want to be foolish and find all of the inexpensive beds taken.

14. Wily

Hey Amy - As I arrive in Porto on Friday, I have my beds reserved for the next two weeks. I know it's early in the walking season, but as I didn't know what to expect, I went ahead and booked our beds and in some cases private rooms in albergues and hostels. Having reservations last year on the CF worked out very well for me. Although there were some albergues that I wouldn't have gotten into, I doubt very much that I would not have gotten a bed somewhere. I still believe that the key is one's early arrival where you plan to stop for the night. If you get in in the early afternoon, at least on the CF, beds were to be found. Knowing how far I intended on walking every day made it easy to plan ahead, make reservations, and then be all set when I reached my destination. For me, reservations eliminated certain stressors. Although I didn't "play it by ear," I also wasn't at all handcuffed by reserving ahead. Remember, too, calling ahead just a day or two may be enough to reserve a bed. Hospitaleros can help you with this. Buen Camino!

15. calowie

calowie Active Member

Amy-Last summer we walked from Porto along the coastal route and then the spiritual variant. We did not book rooms ahead of time and never had a problem. Often in the albergues we knew all 8-10 peregrinos. We were told that the inland route was more crowded and we saw that in Pontevedra, but we did not hear of anyone not finding accommodation.

Amys3dogs, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  16. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

17. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Member

Wiley, looking forward to hearing about your time and experience in Portugal!
    Buen camino!

James Orrock and UnkleHammy like this.
  18. veworley

veworley New Member

Thanks! Got it.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  19. Judy

Judy New Member

If you do a Google search for Facebook Camigas Camino you will come up with several different links. www.caminocomfort.com has an article on the group as well. I had no trouble being accepted into the group.

20. Colette0131

Colette0131 New Member

Update

Hi,

Wanted to thank everyone for their help in this matter. Budgeting went smoothly with the help of the calculator. One thing to note though is that it is very difficult to use credit cards except in the larger hotels and hostels. Most small B&B places and hostels want cash even if you have booked accommodation online with a site such as Booking.com or Hotels.com. This can be the case even with accommodation costing 40 euros a night as in my case in Rubaies they refused to take payment by card and there is no cash machines in the village.
    So as an additional planning can i suggest that you research stops when you can access your bank for access to funds. It wasn't a problem in towns such as Tui, Valence and Barcelos but more difficult at other stops.

Buen camino

Colette

21. Wily

Hey Colette - Glad you had a good trip. We found roughly the same thing on the CP. What I would advise everyone to do, regardless of which Camino it is, is to carry enough cash so if cards aren't accepted then you have plenty of funds to cover your needs. At the albergues and small inns, we, too, had to pay in cash. Therefore, knowing this would be the case, I carried a couple hundred Euro most of the time and regularly replenished my cash so as not to run too low. Your experience in Rubaies doesn't surprise me. Even had there been an ATM, if it were one of the smaller regional banks, your card might not have been accepted. For the most part, the Camino is a cash economy. Your recommendation is a good one for pilgrims to remember. Bom Caminho!