1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bullfights Along The Camino Frances ?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Apr 30, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I spent the spring semester of my junior year of university studies (1978) in Valencia, Spain. During their spring fiesta of "Las Fallas", I attended my first bullfight (called "corrida" in Spanish) and really enjoyed it. A few friends and I travelled to Andalucia during spring break and attended another corrida during Holy Week ("Semana Santa"). Then I attended another in the world famous bullring "Las Ventas". My facinaation continued a few years later when I travelled Spain with my brother. We took a train to Pamplona for the San Fermin festival and watched a bull fight there. Years later my family and I relocated to Geneva, Switzerland and we took three vacations to Spain. We took our kids to a "novillada" (a type of minor league bullfight) in Ronda. Our kids still remember that one of the bullfighters was a woman.

During our first camino frances in 2015 - which began late Sept and lasted through October, we saw posters of bullfights in a few towns that had taken place just a few weeks before. This fall, we are hiking the camino frances again, beginning Sept 8th. I'm wondering whether anyone knows if bullfights will take place in Sept in any of the CF towns we pass through? Gracias! Bob

2. Alberto Basterrechea

Alberto Basterrechea Katia

I am a spanish pilgrim living in Pamplona. I don'nt know of any bullfights taking place in autum but there will probably be some in little villages' fiestas. Just check at every local bar, restaurants, locals you meet on the way and tourist offices

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Gracias, Alberto. Pamplona is one of my favorite cities! My brother and I went to San Fermines in 1981. We enjoyed the fiesta too much and decided not to test our bravery against the bulls for the morning run. During our last camino, I grew a long, grey beard and my wife took a photo of me standing by the statue of "Papa Hemingway" at the bar inside the Café Iruna.

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll be sure to check around and ask about corridas during our camino this fall. Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. MARIAJO

MARIAJO New Member

Hello,

Where do you start the way? Because in September there are bullfights in Valladolid, it is not so fare from Fromista, Carrión de los Condes, in the middle of the way.

Maria

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Maria, we will begin our camino from SJPDP on Sept 8. Our hiking plan has us staying in Fromista on 24 Sept and Carrion de los Condes 25 Sept. Thanks for letting us know about the corridas in Vallodolid. Perhaps other towns will hold bullfights during that timeframe.

Bob

6. MARIAJO

MARIAJO New Member

Hi Bob,
    Yes, there are corridas too in Logroño, about 21st September, but I think it is not good for you because you will be near Burgos.
    I am sorry, if you need more information do not to hesitate with me.

MARIA
    info@viajesmariajo.com
    www.viajesmariajo.com

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Maria, yes, we'll be in Burgos on Sept 21 - so we pass through Logrono seven days earlier. Perhaps other pilgrims can enjoy. I recall corridas start in the afternoon (Hemingway's book "Death in the Afternoon"). So this would allow pilgrims to hike into Logrono and see the corrida if they have time and interest. Thanks again. Bob

8. MARIAJO

MARIAJO New Member

Yes, the corridas usually are at 18:00 hours.
    If anyone need information, I am here.

María
    C/ Juan Ramón Jiménez, 5A, bajo 5
    34001 PALENCIA (SPAIN)
    Tfno: 609 13 34 29 – 979 04 11 07

upload_2017-5-9_16-48-39.jpg

info@viajesmariajo.com

www.viajesmariajo.com

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Maria, my wife and I are walking Camino Frances our third time two months from now. We begin from St Jean on September 20. We will arrive in Logrono Thursday, Sept 26. Do you know if there will be a corrida on that date? And are there other towns along Camino Frances that will have a corrida in late September or the month of October? Gracias ! Bob

10. Alberto Basterrechea

11. Alberto Basterrechea

There are fiestas in Logroño from the 20th to the 27th of september. I suggest you check at the tourist office. Also there are fiestas in Leon mid october

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.