1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calendar Now Live - Let Everyone Know When You are Going on the Camino

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, May 18, 2012.

1. Orava

Orava Active Member

2. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

I am arriving in St.Jean Pied de Port on 8/15/17

Staying in Orisson the first night

I know this is a really stupid question but I am having all kinds of stupid thoughts and doubts prior to leaving, but my question is - is it easy to get to Orisson without getting lost ?

I am sure it is well marked but I see comments by people that seems to indicate it is confusing getting to Orisson.

Wily likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey John - You can't get lost going to Orisson! As you leave SJPP through the Spanish Gate, you take the Napoleon Route up to Orisson and then over the Pyrenees. You'll find that if you just follow the main street, Rue Citadelle, in the old part of the city, it leads you right out of town. Most of the Napoleon Route to Orisson follows a secondary road with a couple of short-cut paths if you choose to take them. There will also be lots of other pilgrims in front and behind you doing the same thing. As Orisson is only 8 km out of SJPP, you can take your time getting there. I'm guessing that you already have a reservation in Orisson as space there is very limited. I'd also recommend reserving ahead in Roncesvalles as well. You are walking at a very busy time and they are not offering as many beds as they did a year ago. Buen Camino!

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/

Greg Canning and John McEvoy like this.
  4. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

John I leave st Jean on the 13th I come from NZ I will leave a breadcrumb trail for you;)
    No thats just my humor. Only one thing you have to do BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. And ask lots of questions.
    I have some one guiding me if you know what I mean that may not be for you but it is for me.
    I am going to do three things every day.
    1 Open hart.
    2 Open mind.
    3 Open map.:p
    Good luck and God bless.
    Terry.

5. Wily

Hey Terry - The Open Map is great! You, John, and the others beginning walking this summer will find that the CF is very well marked. Of course, particularly in the cities, you make make a wrong turn from time to time, but you'll quickly correct your error and be right back on the path. Taking an occasional wrong turn is all part of the Camino experience. If you have a copy of the Brierley guide with maps or another set of maps, you're all set. Follow the yellow arrows and they will take you all the way to Santiago. Buen Camino!

6. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

Thanks so much

I do have reservations in Orisson and Roncesvalles.
    Actually I have them in Zubiri and Pamplona as well. After I will make it up as I go

7. Wily

Hey John - After Pamplona you'll know whether or not reservations ahead will be useful. I found that the hospitaleros were very helpful in calling ahead for me to inquire about reserving a bed. Let me offer you a couple of recommendations on places I stayed at in the first few days after Pamplona. I found them all quite nice and would eagerly stay at any of them again.

Puente La Reina - Albergue Jakue (a really great dinner and breakfast buffet available)

Villatuerta (just before Estella) - Albergue La Casa Magica (nice rooms and one of the best pilgrim dinners that I had on the Camino)

Los Arcos - Albergue Casa de la Abuela (simple but nice albergue right in the center of town; wonderful staff)

There are lots of excellent albergues along The Way. I'm sure you'll find your share of them. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Greg Canning likes this.
  8. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

Thanks

9. traveldipper

traveldipper Member

There Is only one way to get to Orisson as you are committed to going on the route Napoleón over the beautiful Pyrenees mountains. In 2012 you could potentially get lost as there were few signposts about but now as soon as you leave the arch you will see the signs on the road in front of you showing the way. Just make sure you read them as there are two ways to Roncesvalles, Route Napoleón via Orrison, which is well signposted or the low route via Valcarlos. It is a steep walk to Orrison but just when you think you'll never get there, you turn a corner and there it is with a terrace in front full of happy pilgrims. On the way up to Orrison there is a village called Hunto where you can get a drink or a bite to eat by the roadside.

10. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

thank you so much it does ease my mind

11. traveldipper

traveldipper Member

You are welcome and one more thing, though rare, I've known people to be disappointed on getting to Orisson and finding it full up & being sent down to an overflow Albergue so make sure you get there before the stated time, even if you've reserved. Although I haven't stayed there I have been there waiting for a lift back down to St Jean (another way to do it) and seen some who've booked in advance, being unable to stay because they arrived too late so the bed has gone to someone else. Just saying :)

Greg Canning and John McEvoy like this.
  12. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

thanks some of the reviews and responses regarding Orisson make me believe that I must be flexible and just keep my mouth shut on my first stop :)! Probably good humble way to start my Camino for this old Irishman.

Greg Canning likes this.
  13. Wily

Hey John - Standard practice along the Camino appears to be that reserved beds are released by a certain hour if the pilgrim hasn't yet shown up. As I best remember, if you arrive by 4 pm, you shouldn't have a problem. With regards to Orisson, as it is the first stop on the CF, I'd advise leaving by late morning. I'm a strong hiker, but it still took me a full two hours to reach the refuge as it is a steep uphill climb. Better getting there a bit early rather than a bit later.

You'll develop a routine that works for you as you walk. For me, it was getting up early and leaving by 06:30. In May, it was just getting light and it was truly the most peaceful time on the trail. I roughly followed the Brierley stages and was able to arrive at my destination by early afternoon. Folks arriving around 13:00 to 13:30, even without bed reservations, rarely had a problem finding a place to stay. However, as it gets later into the afternoon, the bed scramble begins. Depending on your walking pace, try and finish your day early. You'll then have time to get cleaned up, eat something, relax, and spend time either sightseeing or visiting with other pilgrims or napping. Your routine is one you will miss once your Camino is finished.

Greg Canning likes this.
  14. John McEvoy

John McEvoy Member

thanks I plan on leaving St.Jean around 9 am I think I will take around 4 hours to get to Orisson. your direction definitely alleviates some of my fears :)

Greg Canning likes this.
  15. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

It real simple, find a road that goes straight up with a bunch of hikers on it and just start walking. At the pilgrem office they will give you a map when they stamp your passport.

16. UnkleHammy

I would recommend a stop in Hunto and grab a Coke. It has sugar and water which will make the rest of the day somewhat easier. Orisson isn't disable until you are about 200 meters away on an almost level road.

17. Terry Wilson

That sounds very simply Unkle . So how did that guy get lost in the film then.Tell me that.:p;)

18. UnkleHammy

I would recommend leaving a little earlier so that you can get a shower and a beer or two on the patio.

19. UnkleHammy

Bad weather

20. Terry Wilson

O. OK:) Any way I leave st jean on about the 13/14 Leave NZ this Thursday.

21. UnkleHammy

Have a great trip!

22. Terry Wilson

Has any one found this calendar I have nearly taken the back off the computer but I still can,t find it

23. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Active Member

Same here ... but in it's absence, I'll be doing the first 100km in early Sept.

And talking about computers, you can "walk" the route from SJPP to Pamplona using Google Street View and the Google maps. Helps visually identify any possible issues. For example, there are facilities at Hunto and Orisson but can't see any water stops beyond. Is Orisson the last chance to take on water before Roncevalles?

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  24. Wily

Hey Galloglaigh - An excellent question! You're correct that there aren't facilities after Orisson. On the day I crossed last year, I remember a food truck high up on the mountain selling drinks and snacks. Someone who has crossed more recently this season might confirm whether or not this resource is still there. Because it is a long climb between Orisson to the top and then down to Roncesvalles, I'd suggest you carry a second bottle of water. Rest of the time, you'll find water and services readily accessible every few kilometers. Buen Camino!

25. UnkleHammy

26. UnkleHammy

There is only one place between Orisson and Rochavales for water and that is at about the border between Spain and France at the Fountain of Roland. I skipped it in 2016, got very dehydrated and had to call 112 for an evacuation. (Which went very smoothly. )

27. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Wow, I have been planning my first Camino (April 20th, 2018) for 10 months now. Extremely excited with the prep, gaining so much info, insight and wise advice from everyone on this forum. Thank you! BUT.....something happened today!! I BOOKED MY FLIGHT! Ok, it is probably not that big of an ordeal to most, right? And if I was going to walk the Camino, it was necessary. But just KNOWING, that I am really going now.....somehow affected me in a very AWESOME way! Ha, I sometimes get excited over little things that most people don't. But I don't want to lose that child-like enthusiasm ever! It makes life so much fun. With all of the destruction, disaster, wars and unrest in the world, I am so very thankful for my life and every day that is given to me is such a gift! Buen Camino to all!

Wily and Greg Canning like this.
  28. UnkleHammy

Booking your flight is only one step of several hundred steps required in starting the actual "hike. But, and this is impotent, when you finally decide to REALLY walk, then you are on your own Camino.

From your various posts it is unlikely that you will lose your "child-like enthusiasm.

Buen Camino, especially now that you have fully started your own Camino.

hindsfeet, Wily and Greg Canning like this.
  29. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - Congrats! Taking that step of booking does make the reality of the Camino just that much closer. We did the same thing last week. Two RT tickets to Santiago, Yahoo! Doing it for the third time is exciting as well. I promise you, you won't loose that child-like enthusiasm one bit as you wait for your departure date. In fact, think of it like Christmas. As the time to leave gets closer and closer, your excitement will increase. Don't be surprised if you can't sleep the night before with visions of the Camino dancing in your head. Buen Camino.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  30. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Thanks UncleHammy and Wily......Sheesh, I don't think I have ever been this excited!

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.