1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calendar Now Live - Let Everyone Know When You are Going on the Camino

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, May 18, 2012.

1. Lou Galan

Lou Galan New Member

Hello fellow pilgrims! I will begin my Camino this weekend in SJP. I will arrive on 15 Sept 2017 and begin walking the next morning. I am staying at Hôtel Ramuntcho. If anyone would like to tackle the first day together, please contact me here on the forum.

Jo Waller, Galloglaigh, Wily and 2 others like this.
  2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

I am learning to go with the flow already! After 6 hours waiting at the airport, my international flight was cancelled because of a mechanical issue. There was not one other airline to get me to Paris. :C I leave again tomorrow. One less day in Paris. Can hardly wait to get there!!!

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@hindsfeet this is why you should always have some slack in your schedule. Hope that the rest of your trip runs smoothly.

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  4. hindsfeet

Thanks UnkleHammy, did have some slack. Two days in Paris before the train ride down. But I had to make some kind of reservations in Paris. Lost a day.....it's fine. Looking forward to the future! Firm believer that all things happen for a reason.

5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Arghhhh! Travel in the Age of Maybe-we'll-get-you-there, Maybe we won't!! Similar happened to my sister and I last fall getting to the Portuguese.

I'm sorry, Hindsy. You have a better attitude than I would have. Treat yourself to a Breton crepe or galette in celebration once you get to Montparnasse (along Rue d'Odessa and Rue de Montparnasse), and I hope they rearranged your hotel reservations for you without trouble. We're thinking of you, and post when you can!

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  6. Jo Waller

Jo Waller Member

Good advice
    hi Hindsfeet the advice about scheduling some slack time/rest days is so important. My friends book allowed 30 days whilst my John Brierleybook was 33. Our schedule was too tight and We didn’t rest in Pamplona and pushed on. I was flown back UK by medical insurance unable to walk due to chronic Plantar Fasciitis in both feet and ligament problems with my right ankle. I’m still unable to walk without crutches. Maybe these problems would still have occurred, I don’t know but this wasn’t meant to be my Camino.

I wish you well and just go at your pace, in your own time, it’s your Camino.

7. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Hindsfeet - It was Winston Churchill who said, “Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.” So many things can’t be changed, but we can change our attitude towards them. Frustrating as it is not to be on Paris right now, you’ll be there tomorrow with still so much to enjoy albeit for a bit shorter period of time. Plenty of time to catch these missed moments on your return trip. Buen Camino and take C4S’s advice about treating yourself to as tasty galette once your reach Paris. And remember, that quail in apricot sauce dinner awaits you in SJPP.

8. hindsfeet

Thank you everyone for the kind words! It is 4:00am, and I am more than ready to try again. Yippee!!!!!! Paris or Bust!

9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Good luck Hindsfeet ! Another novelty item to sample in St Jean is "Bob's beer" - sold in most bars and shops.

Bob

10. Wily

Hey Jo - So sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis bringing your Camino to an end. Your post brings to mind several good points. Because we don’t know what could happen when we’re away from home, having travel insurance seems to be a wise investment in case medical evacuation is required. Second, as both you and Unklehammy point out in this thread, build in some rest days on your way to Santiago. Although Pamplona seems early for a break, think about the demand of climbing over the Pyrenees and just getting acclimated to day after day hiking. Break in Pamplona, recharge, and then be ready for the Alto de Perdon and your push on to Burgos. When I return to the CF, I won't walk it as quickly as I did before and I will definitely take a few breaks. Another factor that worked well for us this spring was that we shortened our walking days. With fewer really long days, my wife and I were able to better enjoy our post-walking hours in towns and cities. As there is no one formula for Camino walking, listen to your body and figure out the best strategy for you. As you said Jo, certain problems may still have occurred, but put the odds in your favor. It’s a long trek to Santiago! Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Jo, I'm sorry to hear this. That sounds severe and really painful. I hope you're getting good care and that you can be back to baseline soon.

Wily and Jo Waller like this.
  12. Jo Waller

Jo Waller Member

13. Jo Waller

Jo Waller Member

Thanks Wily, good advice. Next time I’d like to fit in more time for sightseeing and pray for better weather. I don’t mind rain, living in UK, I’m used to it but 5 out of the 6 days!!

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  14. Jo Waller

Jo Waller Member

Pain now under control but not walking unaided, I’ll get there though x

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  15. hindsfeet

Ok; I made it to Paris. I think everyone at the airport thought that I was on drugs. huge smile on my face all the way to my bus. I even said it out loud "I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM IN PARIS". OF COURSE SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME TO KEEP ME GROUNDED. I FELL GETTING OFF THE BUS AND LANDED ON MY LEFT KNEE. OWIE!! I AM SURE ALL WILL BE FINE. JUST TRYING TO GET THIS BRONCHITIS CLEARED UP. I CAN'T BREATHE!! I WANT TO GET TO THE CAMINO. Tomorrow morning I take the train down; yippee!!
    UM.........I ATE TOO MUCH IN PARIS ALREADY!!!

16. Crepes4Suzette

Woohooo! You got there, Hindsy! Go slow and take care, OK?

On our first trip to Paris, once we figured out how to get out of Les Halles, and since it was really early yet, we sat for awhile taking it all in at the Fontaine des Innocents. My husband looked around and said "I can't believe we're in PARIS......is that a Pizza Hut???".

How about those patisseries?:).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Canadian Wander, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  17. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - It IS exciting to be in PARIS. But, take C4S’s advice and go slow and take care, ok? A few bumps getting there, but it’s all part of the journey. Although there should be a dinning car on the train, the Montparnasse station has a number of take out eateries where you can grab a sandwich or pasteries to enjoy on the ride south. Enjoy! Buen Camino Peregrina!

18. Devereaux Young

Devereaux Young Member

Hummm...I'm not seeing the Calendar tab at the top.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.