1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Blogs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lkaussie

lkaussie New Member

I'm loving reading everyone's blogs! Can't wait till our walk is closer and to get one started.

2. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

During my shopping at a sporting goods store today, the clerk told me his sister mails her things by UPS so she doesn't have to hassle with the airport baggage issues and pick up. She has it delivered the day she arrives at her destination. Sounded good but I don't know...I use to work at UPS and know how some people treated the boxes and bags. I am thinking about are my back pack and folding hiking sticks. From reading, I do not get a definite yes or no on the foldable hiking sticks. Also HuskyNerd pointed out if one checks in the backpack that it would be a big inconvenience and weight issue to have one's clasp(s) broken and is not guaranteed not to to be the case in a UPS box. I am putting what I need in the backpack and don't want to lose it to buy more expensive equipment before I start. What to do...anyone with hiking sticks or other items got an answer.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  3. em777

em777 New Member

Home Page:
    I walked the Camino Frances 5 months ago (my first camino) and now I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata next year. I am looking forward to starting my research all over again as I know very little about this route! I had blisters for 31 of the 35 days that I walked, so that just proves, no matter how much you read up or prepare - these things still happen! I am hooked though and can't wait to pack my bags again, I've even convinced my husband to walk the Frances as well! I am looking forward to visiting all the Via de la Plata blogs, my most important mission right now is to establish the time of year to do it. As May is a birthday month for my husband, we are looking at this time of the year at the moment... My blog has a few of my Frances pictures and tales - www.caminosantiago2012.blogspot.com. Buen camino to anyone starting out soon!

4. Aibrean82

Aibrean82 New Member

Home Page:
    So many blogs here that I must read! I did the Camino in 2010, but I still read everything I can find about it! I don't have a blog myself, but I have written two articles that are available online, and I have a third one in the making. The links can be found in my below signature.

Off to check out some blogs now! :cool:

5. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Any advice on what to carry in my First Aid Bag when I do El Camino with my wife ?

6. Green Tortuga

Green Tortuga New Member

Home Page:
    The most likely thing you'll need is a blister kit. Blisters are probably the most common ailment on the trail! If you can handle blisters on the trail, you'll be off to a good start.

-- Ryan

7. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    I have returned from my camino today and have written a blog for each day there.
    Have a read here: davidnoelsmith.wordpress.com

Thanks!

8. Camino Joe

Camino Joe New Member

Home Page:
    Re: Sierra del Perdon / how steep?

Greetings, Pilgrims! I enjoyed immensely my walk along the Camino Frances, from Leon to Santiago, in October/November, 2012, and wrote about it in my blog, On My Way, which can be found at www.caminooct2012.blogspot.com. I welcome all to visit the blog and comment. I'd particularly love to hear from my fellow caminantes who I met along the way. Buen Camino - - Joe

9. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Gotcha bookmarked, Joe Camino, and looking forward to reading your story.

10. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Thanks, Camino Joe, very well put together

11. Say Simba

Say Simba New Member

12. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I walked the camino Frances from St Jean to Muxia and Finisterre April/May 2013 with my daughter. I made a daily report on my blog and hope it might be of interest: http://magwood.wordpress.com

13. Woodswomanwalking

Woodswomanwalking New Member

Fort Collins, Colorado and Cavendish, Vermont
    I leave from Denver to Paris through Iceland on August 28, 2013 (10 days from now!!), and then take a train to SJPP, arriving on August 30. I begin solo on September 1, and have a reservation at Orisson for the first night, as recommended by friends who have completed the walk in the past year. My plan is to go to Santiago, then to Finisterre, Muxia and back to Santiago. 1000 km. total. My website is woodswomanwalking.com and I've been writing on it since soon after I decided to do the walk, more than 18 months ago. Plan to be writing all along the way, so please feel free to "follow" formally if you wish.

Since I have a one-way ticket, I can take time after the walk to revisit some of the towns, and to explore a bit of Portugal before returning home. Perhaps I will be too exhausted to do that, but I can be flexible. My excitement/apprehension/anticipation grows with each day, and I will be very happy to begin in St. Jean Pied-de-Port. But I'm told that one's Camino begins the moment one decides to go.

I know there are many Camino writers, and wish everyone good health and safety on the way.

14. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

So,in a few days time I shall be setting forth from Lisbon on the camino Portuguese. I intend to carry on my blog from where I left off last time on the Camino Frances. So if anyone should by chance find themselves interested ( or of you're an insomniac looking for the cure) please feel free to click on the link below and see how it's going..

Regards,

Steve

15. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Count me in......I am considering the camino Portuguese from Lisbon next spring. I very much enjoyed your blog relating to the CF. Hope all goes well - take it easy!
    buen camino

16. Colin Boylan

Colin Boylan Guest

Daily Camino blog

My wife Mary and I started from St. Jean on 27th May 2013 and finished 2 July 2013 in Santiago. We posted a daily blog on candmcamino.blogspot which might be of interest to anyone thinking of doing a future walk.

17. cw18

cw18 New Member

I'm not heading out until September 2014, but I've just (as in today) started a blog where I intend to keep track of my training for the next 50 weeks - and then to update as I walk (which I'm hoping will be for 8 weeks including some 'off the beaten track' mileage to see places of interest which aren't much of a detour).

Camino Training and Beyond

18. Bozzo

Bozzo Guest

19. Camino Nev

Camino Nev Guest

Hi! Likewise you can follow my blog if you like, which will follow my walk this winter from Prague to Finisterre:
    www.mycaminosantiago.com
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Nev :)

20. HighlandHind

HighlandHind New Member

I kept a journal when I walked the Camino in Sept 2012 and used my notes as the foundation of my blog when I returned. And like so many people writing here, the experience of walking from St Jean to Santiago altered my perspective on just about everything so life still hasn't returned to "normal". My camino experience and ongoing adventures are at

http://highlandhind.wordress.com

21. Barbara Teresa

Barbara Teresa New Member

I am leaving for the Camino in September 2014, from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago. Any advice for me?

22. divinelove59

divinelove59 New Member

23. RoamFarAndWide

RoamFarAndWide New Member

Home Page:
  24. dolan

dolan New Member

25. sean

sean Active Member

Re: Via de la Plata Spring 2014 in Photographs

Hi Dolan,
    Beautiful photographs from your collection. Great to see a Sligo man do well??? Pity about the GAA yesterday. I know how it feels, being originally from Mayo.
    Keep up the good work. Are the photographs slides, or digital?. Excuse my ignorance, I come from a time in the past.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

26. dolan

dolan New Member

Re: Via de la Plata Spring 2014 in Photographs

Thank you Sean, I used a digital nikon d 80 slr which is about entry level professional.

Dolan

27. Hello, All! I've been lurking for a while but this is finally starting to become real to me, sp I finally registered! I'm leaving Aug 25 for the Frances, and I couldn't be more excited. Here's a blog I started, just detailing preparations right now, but Ive noticed it got pretty deep pretty fast ::gulp:: Anyway, I'd love some company on my journey, if you feel drawn to follow along.
    http://seattletosantiago.wordpress.com/

28. HighlandHind

HighlandHind New Member

I can never resist reading about other people's experiences on the Camino so it's probably only fair to offer to share.
    I wrote a blog after my pilgrimage in 2012.
    It's on my website www.highlandhind.wordpress.com
    Hope to complete the adventure by walking to Finisterre later this year.

29. thomr

thomr New Member

My blog's at http://footprintsonthecamino.blogspot.co.uk/ - I'm starting from Porto this weekend and have walked the Frances before so there's information about that route already up along with some history and crafts. Hopefully I'll be adding some stuff on the Way this time as well!

30. Silktea3

Silktea3 New Member

I love your wit! Thanks for writing this blog!!
    We leave on May 17,2014 and I know about the gear purchase. I almost felt guilty about getting all the information from REI then getting stuff 40% cheaper online. Then when I received my REI's dividend coupon and realized how much I really did spend in their store , I don't feel so darn ashamed for saving a few bucks here or there. I am no longer calculating dollars saved but rather thinking in terms of another night in an albergue and/or pilgrim meals, so I've been minding my A's and P's.

Looking forward to reading more!!