1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Day4

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by "The 2 Geordie's", May 3, 2016.

1. "The 2 Geordie's"

"The 2 Geordie's" Active Member

The train from bayonne to st Jan is now 10.10euros each we travelled on the 11.10am
    On route the pilgrims created a brilliant atmosphere excitement and anticipation were in the air
    From the train station to the pilgrims passport building is very easy to find
    On receiving our pilgrims passport we were told 400 passports were issued yesterday and today
    The price is 2euros which is ok , but not like the ques we have seen
    If you are trying to watch your hard earned cash there are 2 supermarkets with in 5mins walk from town centre
    Most of the locals are very helpful. The weather & forecast are warm & sunny for our accent over the Napoleon route into Navvarre.

2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I remember this part so well, the excitement and nervous energy... enjoy every moment, I wish you the same joy my wife and I found on our Camino.

Anja, Mike from Canada and Woodchild like this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    400 passports in two days! It makes me wonder what it is going to be like in June, July and August this year.

The popularity of this route is becoming a good reason to walk many of the other Camino routes.

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  4. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    I'll let everyone know, I begin on June 2nd from St. Jean. It is a bit worrying...

Mike from Canada likes this.
  5. "The 2 Geordie's"

"The 2 Geordie's" Active Member

Buen Camino

6. MaWinMex

MaWinMex New Member

I'm not starting till mid-September. Hope the crush has eased a bit by then. Buen Camino.

BonnyHolland likes this.
  7. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada Member

I'lL be starting May 28-30 not exactly sure the date yet.

Buen Camino!!!

8. WilliamCruz

WilliamCruz New Member

We are starting August 10th - this may seem like a silly question, but is it a holy year this year?

Merilu likes this.
  9. jimjco

jimjco New Member

My wife and I start from SJPP June 3– maybe we'll run into each other. Buen Camino!

10. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

William you are correct this is a Extraordinary Jubilee Holy Year of Devine Mercy when the Holy Door in the cathedral in Santiago will be open.

Buen Camino

11. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    I look forward to it. Thanks!

12. Merilu

Merilu New Member

I start on August 14, 2016. I am happy to know that this is Holy year of Devine Mercy!
    Buen Camino!

13. MMilton

MMilton Guest

I know this is probably not the best place to send a question but it looks like you are the most recent walkers I can find. We are 6 couples from Washington starting the Camino in September and October. We plan to walk at least 100 miles and would like to get the certificate in Santiago. We can not find this answer….can you walk segments of the Camino that add up to 100 miles or must you walk the last 100 miles into Santiago. Your enthusiasm gets us so excited. Thanks for any help.

14. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi MMilton and welcome to the forum

To obtain your Compostela Certificate you Must walk the last 100k (or cycle / travel on horseback the last 200km) into Santiago de Compostela.

The most popular starting point is Sarria, but there are other possibilities such as Baamonde and Ferrol as well as several others

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

15. JillGat

JillGat New Member

I walked through June this year and could almost always guarantee that I'd have the trail to myself by just timing it right, or waiting for others to pass. The "crush" is exaggerated, i think. I occasionally booked ahead at a private albergue if I thought I might arrive late in the day or there was a certain place I really wanted to stay, but generally there was no problem at all finding a bed and often the albergues weren't even full. I think it's a lot harder if you are trying to find beds together as a group as opposed to only needing a single bed.

16. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Walking in late-April through May was a bit of a different experience. The Camino was busy and pilgrim's regularly found albergues full. Almost every albergue I stayed in was full by some time mid- to late-afternoon. So, I don't think the "crush" is exaggerated. It depends on when you walk. Hospitaleros told me that May and September are their busiest months. It sounds like the summer heat knocks down the crowd significantly making beds easier to find which is a good thing.

17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Judging how busy a Camino is going to be in advance is always going to be a bit hit and miss – However, I tend to agree with Wily about May and September being particularly busy months as they are the months either side of the hottest part of the year – But, this isn’t borne out by Camino Statistics which clearly show that more Compostela’s are issued in August compared to any other month (And this has been the case for a number of years !!) http://www.americanpilgrims.org/assets/media/statistics/compostelas_by_month_06-15.pdf

Go Figure !!????

Meanwhile, I will keep “Advising” people who are starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port to book themselves a room there and also Orisson (Unless they are experienced fit walkers) and possibly also Roncesvalles so that they have at least secured beds for their first few nights, then they can see for themselves how busy it is and how the bed situation is panning out – Then they can either book ahead on a day by day basis, or, if it isn’t busy, then just go with the flow.

Best Regards

Rob