1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino De Madrid Information?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ted, May 1, 2018.

1. Ted

Ted Ted Trekking

Hello Camino Freinds,

I am returning to Spain to trek another Camino, after being sidelined due to an injury and then having knee surgery. I am arriving in Madrid on May 9th and haven’t decided which Camino I will walk? Because my knee replacement was only four months ago I am going to be a bit cautious at first and walk a Camino that’s a little more level, but also different, until I get my stride back. I am thinking of starting in Madrid on the Camino de Madrid to Sahagún and then continue on the Francis to Santiago. I known the Madrid is not well know or traveled but I like the thought of something different. Is anyone walking it this month and does anyone have some tips about it?

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Wily, Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Ted - A resource that I have used on the Caminos that I have walked, which has been very useful, is Gronze.com. If you or others are not familiar with it, it gives some basic information on the stages, distances, general map, difficulty level, average walking time, amount of countryside walking, topograpical profile, and a list of albergues and accommodations by town per stage. As you will see on the homepage, you select the Camino that you’re interested in and then pull up the information by stages for that particular Camino. I hope this might be a useful resource for you and other in the planning process. Buen Camino!

Ted and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I haven’t walked The Camino de Madrid, but I have walked quite a few other less trekked Caminos and for these I have gathered a lot of good information from http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/

Unfortunately the site was down just now when I checked, hopefully this is a temporary glitch as this was a really useful resource for both planning as well as walking the less popular routes.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy, Ted and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Ted, there are a few threads posted on this website regarding Camino de Madrid. Also, I checked on Amazon.com and found a kindle version book. Here is book's cover and description. Bob

[​IMG]

This picturesque route from Madrid to Sahagún was created in 1999 when the first guide to the route in Spanish was published by the Asociación de Amigos de los Caminos de Santiago de Madrid.

Since then the route has developed in a number of ways. The waymarking has improved to the extent that walking directions are almost superfluous. The number of albergues has significantly increased, as have hostels and hotels. So has the number of pilgrims - nowadays over 500 pilgrims per year register at the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago, having started in Madrid. Although this number does not take account of the many others who walk part of the route, it remains small in comparison to the Camino Francés.

This edition of the Guide takes account of these changes. This is truly a route where you can simply follow the yellow arrows and therefore walking directions have been kept to a minimum. It is a very picturesque route with much local interest.

UnkleHammy, Ted and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. Ted

Ted Ted Trekking

Thanks Wily, I’ll look it up.

It’s so great to have a website like this for advice and help!

6. Ted

Ted Ted Trekking

Thanks Rob. I think you also gave me good advice when I trekked the VDLP a year and a half ago.

RJS likes this.
  7. Ted

Ted Ted Trekking

Thanks Bob. I did find this book, and what was great about it is that I got it online for my iPad/iPhone Kindle app.

RJS and UnkleHammy like this.