1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino de Plata

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by tjenkins, Dec 8, 2013.

1. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

I want to travel the camino de Plata but with limited time will start somewhere north of Seville... perhaps Salamanca. Any ideas on getting there... and getting the credential at that time.

2. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Salamanca is easy enough to get to. There are direct trains and buses from Madrid. Where will you be arriving from?

I think you should be able to get a Credencial at the pilgrim hostel in Salamanca. Maybe someone else on here can confirm?

Ger

3. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

Thanks Ger.... I am not sure about flights but assume that I will arrive via Madrid. Is it best to buy train tickets before hand or get them when I arrive in Spain?

Can anyone else give advise on obtaining credentials? Has anyone gotten them before arriving via one of the on-line sites?

4. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    You often get a better price if you book your train journey online at renfe.es. Also, at peak times trains can be full.

You can get a Credencial in Madrid at the Amigos del Camino office. http://www.demadridalcamino.org/ Tue and Thur 19:00 to 21:00 and Wed 11:00 to 12:30. I've heard you can also get one during the day from the Cathedral office.

5. Me Fein

Me Fein New Member

I am hoping to walk Via de la Plata in April/May. At the moment researching flights to Seville but Ryanair from Dublin or Stanstead arrive late in the evening. Has anybody travelled by bus to Seville from Faro airport?
    Maura

6. Dave Murray

Dave Murray New Member

Hi Maura
    I did the first section of the Via de la Plata last April. I flew into Malaga, got a light rail from the airport to Malaga train station and, from there, I got a train to Seville. Worked perfectly.
    Dave Murray

7. Me Fein

Me Fein New Member

Hello Dave
    Thank you for the advice- flying to Malaga seems to be the best option.Did you book your train seat on line?. I only mentioned Faro as Ryanair start flights April 1st from local airport.
    Buen Camino for May
    Maura

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. Dave Murray

Dave Murray New Member

Maura
    I din't book the train tickets at all. I arrived into Malaga airport from Cork in the morning and got a train from the airport to the Malaga central train station. Once there, you will find a large ticket office and they will help you to select the best option, Best not to book in advance as you might have flight delays. There are cheaper and slightly more expensive trains to Seville. The slightly more expensive are worth the extra, as they are faster and more comfortable. Look at the trip duration when you are selecting. I was in Seville by early afternoon. I did book a hostel in Seville, not far from the Cathedral and the starting point of my journey. It was nice,
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
    Dave

9. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

thanks appreciate it..

10. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

11. frankmcm

frankmcm Guest

Yep. Got ours at the albergue in Salamanca. About 5 years ago. We flew to Madrid and bussed to Salamanca..
    buen camino.

12. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

Gracias por todo...

13. tjenkins

tjenkins New Member

14. sean

sean Active Member

Hi,
    You can get the credentials in the Refugio in Salamanca. Just be aware of the time of year you travel at. If there is a festival on, they let the party people in and you can end up sleeping on the floor. Nice town.
    Enjoy,
    Sean,
    Dublin

15. sean

sean Active Member

Hi,
    Should have mentioned, if you are going out of Salamanca for a couple of days, keep an eye out for the Refugio in Buenevente, it is in the old train station and a gem. Get the keys at the local cop shop. Memorable stop.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

16. unadara

unadara New Member

Maura
    Ryanair have 2 flights a week, Sat one arrives pm, Tues arrives in am. I am going on a Tues flight. (I hope, 29th April)
    Una

17. Me Fein

Me Fein New Member

Thank you Una
    Buen Camino Maura

18. unadara

unadara New Member

Dave
    What date in April did you start, did you get a lot of heavy rain? I know everywhere got rain last year, this year it may be sunny?
    Thanks
    Una

19. kiwideb

kiwideb New Member

I am planning to start camino de la Plata from Seville in early May 2014 - probably 06 or 07 May. I am wondering if anyone else might be going around this time? I don't mind walking alone, but would like to know that others are about for company in the afternoons/evenings.

20. Jennie

Jennie New Member

I am staying at Triana backpackers Seville 5th -6th May and plan to start walking on 7th. I think i am a senior! - 64 yrs single woman, did camino frances 2 years ago. Also like to walk alone but happy to connect with others at times and know they are around as I believe this camino is much quieter - am a bit worried about dogs cos they scare me but I use sticks. Am english but live in Auckland - are you in NZ?

21. kiwideb

kiwideb New Member

Hi Jennie, I am from Warkworth, but am living in Gladstone, Queensland until Easter. Home to Warkworth/Auckland for a couple of weeks, then off to Spain. Am 53, sounds like we should make an effort to catch up. I have also read about the dogs. I am more concerned about my poor Spanish, but am trying to get the basics sorted.

22. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Hello Jennie,
    I walked Camino Frances in September 2012 and was homesick for it this past September. I am now planning to walk Camino Via de la Platte, but don't exactly know which year yet. I had just turned 61 when I began my walk on France. I too like to walk alone, but do not mind those who come along, talk and walk with me for a while. I always tell them that I walk my pace and if they like a faster pace to go on when they are ready, and perhaps I will see them again along the way. So we are kindred in that respect.

I waver at time and think about walking Camino Frances again instead of Via de la Platte, which may be because I know what to expect and want to savor the experience again. On the other hand, I enjoy the unknown and also am interested in seeing the Roman roads as well as the difference between the two caminos. I was wondering why you decided to walk Via de la Platte.

23. Jennie

Jennie New Member

Hi Kiwideb, I think it would be lovely to connect with you if possible in Auckland before we/I leave ( I fly to UK on 30th April ) I am also working on my Spanish - have a CD that I play in my car, so I get to hear that a lot! Also am looking at Ma Vida Loco - BBC Learn Spanish online. I am not sure how secure it is to put personal info on this thread so that we could arrange to connect . . .. . . . ..

24. Jennie

Jennie New Member

Hi Waterweed, Since the Camino Frances I became very drawn to another Camino - I like the idea of starting in southern Spain. I like the idea of long, hot walks everyday! I also like the fact that it is a quieter Camino and more isolated even though that can feel a bit scary too. My first experience was great ( despite the pain ) but I feel a second pilgrimage will be different in ways that I don't yet know, so I was keen to walk a different route. I feel I must do this before my body starts to rebel!

25. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Thanks for your perspective. I am not to keen on the hot but long walks are fine. I like the idea of having a flatter terrain at first instead of the steep incline and descent of the Pyrenees. I am glad to have had the experience of Camino Frances. I too like the idea of not knowing exactly what to expect. I am also wanting to see the olive trees, Roman roads and mile markers. With Camino Frances, I was more about the walk the sights and nature. This time my focus is to become more fluent in Spanish, so I can interact with the people more. Again thank you for sharing. I wish you much enjoyment on your future camino.

26. januarius

januarius New Member

That you will see in abundance Roman Markers. I did the Camino de la Plata in 2012, long and hard but beautiful would definitely do it again. I parted with my 2 friends at the last 100ks plus and went to Oseira the monastery was ever so gracious stayed 5 days to recover from foot problem and a quest for some spiritual reflection. If you can afford time that stop is great the small village and two bars is a must with the river. Buen Camino.

27. januarius

januarius New Member

Just a thought Trianna in Sevilla is a beautiful place and the area is fantastic but it is a noise hostel due to young people staying there got little sleep. Stayed two nites.

28. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Thank you for the information; I like the small villages and towns. I also found monasteries great places to stay while on the Camino Frances. I have made note to stay in Oseira.

29. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

Is there another place you would suggest for the first night? I do not plan to stay more than one night in Seville.

30. unadara

unadara New Member

I have booked Hostal Sierpes, it is €33 a night single room, reviews say basic but great location. I did not want to share and followed Johnnie Walkers suggestion re cheaper Hotels, his was too expensive for me! I can post here a review after Apr 10th? any good?.