1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino del Cid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Sil, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Sil

Sil New Member

Home Page:

Two elderly gentlemen (one Swiss, one Canadian) are seeking companions to walk the Camino del Cid with them – Burgos to Elche – approx 1700 km in Spain . Both are very experienced pilgrims. Tom (Canadian) has been to Santiago 7 times, and walked almost every Camino route you can think of, amassing about 10,000 km in the process. They plan to walk together out of Burgos on Sept 23rd and take about 60 days to complete the walk. Please contact Tom Chatham in Victoria , BC , Canada at 250-598-5657 or email chatshima@shaw.ca
    to make arrangements to meet for all or a part of this walk.
    http://www.caminodelcid.org

If you belong to other camino forums, please post this request on behalf of Tom.

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

I have often wondered why the vast majority of "serial Caminoists" I have met on the Ways and heard about in Forums are men.

Is it a "man" thing, or is it that we need lots more Forgiveness for all our manifest Sins, or could it be that we just like the peace and quiet!!

3. Sil

Sil New Member

Home Page:
    Er ..... are you asking me - a 'serial cminoist' or is it a general query?

4. Covey

Covey Active Member

Not directed at you, but just a general reflection whilst waiting for the 22 days to go by before I fly to Bairritz. Time does go slowly!!

5. Gazza

Gazza Member

I have a theory on this. Peace & quiet absolutely. The abililty to walk on your own with your own thoughts & nobody to interupt those thoughts. Where else do you know that this could happen.
    Also the males I met on the trek were men who really enjoyed womens company, & i mean in the the pure way. In the groups i was involved in I was regularly the only male in a mix of 5-6 ladies of mature age.

The other thing that totally amazed me was the number of single, mature ladies doing the walk by themselves

6. Covey

Covey Active Member

Maybe it is the Alpha male thingy! I usually end up walking with a "family" which is mostly female not because I set out to do so, but it just happens that way.

There is a collective security to be found amongst other pilgrims when you are waiting for the train to St Jean contemplating the next 40 days on your own, away from the support of family or friends, so you tend to gravitate to the sounds of your own language and over the next few days indulge in the art of Camino Speed Dating.

This has little to do with normal speed dating, but a lot to do with finding people who speak your own language, walk at your own pace and are fun to be with.

By the time you get to Logrono most are shaken out into families who seem to stick together through thick and thin until Santiago and watching the sunset at Finesterre. There are no secrets on the Camino. Walk with someone for a couple of days and you will know more about them than their husband does!!

7. Gazza

Gazza Member

Speed Dating, what an interesting analogy & so accurate.

It really is a quick, can I put up with this person, can I understand them, do i want to be aroungd them.

We stayed an extra night in Leon & lost our "family" but by the end of the next walking day had created a new family.

It really is the only place I have been where I could imagine this happening. Yes you are right, walk two hours with somebody along the meseta & you know them better then their own family. I know I shared stuff with "total strangers" that very few people are aware of. Perhaps its the anonymity that allows one to open up & talk totally freely about anything & not be judged

8. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    As always, well put, Covey.

9. Covey

Covey Active Member

"Perhaps its the anonymity that allows one to open up & talk totally freely about anything & not be judged" Gazza, you are so right!

I think the "not be judged" is the reason why people are so open and frank whilst walking the Way. There are so many different nationalities, personalities, foibles and outright eccentricities to be found in any group of Pilgrims, that everyone can be their real selves.

We all dress the same, there are none of the usual material possessions which mark out the well off from the not so well off so all that is left is the real you, your character in sometimes difficult circumstances and the spirit you display to your companions.

I have often thought when returning from the Camino, how everyone is so defined by their job, possessions, the way they dress etc and that tends to sort out who they inter-react with, whereas on the Camino, the only factor is the real you. Maybe that is what makes it so special.

10. Gazza

Gazza Member

It is the only place I have been & felt the freedom & openness that I did whilst on the Camino.

It may have been my virgin walk but I know it will not be my last.

I am jealous of you in the UK being able to jump on a cheap flight at any time, "pack always at the ready" & just 'do it', in Australia we are so far away from these amazing experiences. But I shall return

11. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    I don't know, Gazz. My wife is trying to convince me to go to Australia with her in 2012 and see the solar eclipse from Ayers Rock. That sounds pretty amazing.

12. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hi Huskynerd,
    Your wife has a great idea!! We are very hospitable people here. Don't think it, do it !. When you come, We'll meet you and your wife in Alice, and set up beds in our caravan annexe. Then you can go to Canberra and stay with my daughter, she's a health professional like your wife. Then over to the West where you can stay at my place. Depending what time of the year it is, you might walk part of the Bibbulmun Track.
    Sio see you in 2 years.
    Cheers Tanya

13. Gazza

Gazza Member

Always room in beautiful Sydney as well

14. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Gosh, thanks Tanya and Gazz! Pilgrims are the greatest. Maybe Aussie pilgrims are best of all.

15. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hi Huskynerd and Gazza,
    We're a nice mob Downunder. Sydney is beautiful, I'll think of you Gazza when i'm on the ferry to Manly next month. Taking Hubby, Daughter and 2 grandsons for a visit.
    Cheers Tanya

16. Gazza

Gazza Member

That is a georgeous way to see the Harbour. September should have the Temp warming up nicely