Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Del Norte In January 2017

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by Katya Konovalova, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Katya Konovalova

Katya Konovalova New Member

Hola a todos!))
    Anyone going to Camino Del Norte in January- February 2017?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I aren’t sure how much help I can be on this thread as when I walked the first section of The Camino Nord (Irun to Santander) I walked it in August and early September and when I returned to Santander to complete the walk to Santiago de Compostela, it was in May and June

However, you should make sure that, If you are planning to stay in Refugio’s that they aren’t closed down for the winter and that you pack appropriately to take into consideration the cold and wet weather that you are likely to encounter (At least from time to time)

You might also find my own walking notes useful in your planning

The first section, Irun to Santander is at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/42d90/

And the second section, Santander to Santiago de Compostela is at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bc/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Katya, be prepare that on Camino Norte you will be on the way in January maybe alone. If it is ok for you, check open albergues before you start.Buen Camino!

4. Leonard nugent

Leonard nugent New Member

5. Leonard nugent

hi, yes there are two of us hoping to do the north route starting around the 15th January, at the moment i am trying to find out if the alberques are open, but cant find anything yet on any threads?
    this is the first time for us & we are doing the full walk.
    where are you starting from?

6. Rob Hallam

Rob Hallam Member

Home Page:
    Leonard,

The following link is a pretty good resource for info on many of the different camino routes: http://wisepilgrim.com/

I have not used their website extensively, I have mostly used their free app (on my iPhone) for the Camino Del Norte. The app contains info on almost everything along the way, which towns have food, stores, lodgings, opening and closing times, prices, distances, elevation profiles, but it looks like most of the info in the app is also on their website.

I found it to be very useful. And it might help you to locate open accommodations for your camino.

Buen Camino!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Katya Konovalova and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to wisepilgrim

Rob Hallam likes this.
  8. Katya Konovalova

Rob, Daniel, Thanks for your recommendations and for tenderness!

9. Leonard nugent

hi & thanks Rob & Unkle Hammy.
    really appreciate your help, i will download the apps
    many thanks again
    leonard

10. Katya Konovalova

Hi, Leonard! We go together with my friend. We will start in Santander the 24th January and then we plan to go on the Camino Primitivo (after Gijón). This is the first time for us too))
    We take a tent that not to depend on Albergue.
    Buen Camino! And we glad to see you!

11. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Also take a look at the spanish websites Gronze and Eroski. Both written in spanish only but with lots of up to date info which is easy to understand.

You are also welcome to take a look at my blog (links in signature line) I posted every day live from the Norte giving lots of useful information and photos. I walked in May this year.

In January I would expect plenty of rain, wind and lots of mud, and the albergues may not be heated. I am definitely a spring walker.

Maile likes this.
  12. peter obrien

peter obrien New Member

Hi i am also doing the Camino Frances starting from St Jean Pied De Port on January 06 07 ? any help advice this is my first also Peter

13. Leonard nugent

Hi Peter.

We were originally going to do the North route, starting from the 12th January, but have now changed our plans & are going to do the Frances route, starting again on the 12th January from St Jean Pied de Port

I have been doing some research & found a couple of sites on Youtube that are very helpful & also give a real insight in to what is involved.
    The first ones i looked at was a number of short videos from Lindsey Cowie, if you put this name into Youtube, under Comino di Santiago it will bring up some short videos with some practical ideas, & some very good tips.

I also found a documentary by Jamie Nicoll which lasts for about two hours, this film really gives you a good idea of what to expect, we found them both very helpfull.

i hope this helps, & hopefully we will meet up on the way.

all the best

leonard

UnkleHammy likes this.
  14. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

Hi Katya,
    The North or Coastal route in January-February is suppose to be " rainning cat and dogs".
    But not always. Example now Novenber has been excelent. From Irun-Gijón had had some rain 3 days.
    Albergues are open, not all but plenty for the few pilgrims, no need to rush, price most donation, 5 euros and in emergency 10 euros but no reservation needed.
    Take Magwood advise and check on Gronze and Eroski websides are well updated..
    Check all data in advance. Good luck. Ultreia. J-Ç .

SusanMB likes this.
  15. Aritz

Aritz New Member

Hi, I Live in Noja, in the middle of the Camino del Norte. I just want to tell you all that weather in Norte is cold in january and february (2 to 10 degree C). It's better from March to December, and the best from May to October. Rainy days are mainly in october, november, march and april. There are many caminantes now (May 19th) in Noja, I mostly meet them when I'm at the beach with my dogs. Have a nice walk!