1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino del Norte or Camino Frances -- Some food for thought

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by HuskyNerd, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi El Condor

I have also walked the Camino Norte (As well as the Camino Frances and a few others besides ;-) ) and I don’t believe that you are restricted to July and August.

When I walked the Camino Norte, I split the route into two sections, Irun to Santander and then (As part of my Big Camino) Santander to Santiago de Compostela.

On the first section I left Irun on 24th August and had fabulous weather for the 15 day trek to Santander, arriving there on 8th September (Trek notes with lots of photos at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/42d90/)

My second section, I walked though Santander on 5th May and arrived in Santiago de Compostela on 8th June and again, in the main had wonderful weather (Trek notes, Again with lots of photos at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bc/)

And what has being 69 got to do with anything ?? :)

Best Regards

Rob

2. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

RJS, thanks for your post and photos ,
    As I will be travelling from Australia, therefore, I will need to do the whole Camino del Norte in one section. I have read various post about the unpredictable weather and restricted accommodation.
    Your post have got me inspired and I will start planning for El Camino del Norte again.
    Any ideas about camping in the open or camping grounds along El Camino del Norte

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem El Condor – Pleased to be of help :)

I don’t know where you got your info about “restricted accommodation” as I had no difficulties on finding places to stay on either leg - When I walked the second section from Santander, I kept bumping onto a your Spanish pilgrim and she was the only person I came across who was carrying a tent and was just using it from time to time when she wanted to be alone and away from the “Crowds” in the Refugio’s – So there are certainly camping opportunities IF that is what you want.

I always use the little guidebooks printed by The Confraternity of Saint James and these list the accommodation available including the campsites on the “Way” - The Camino Norte is split into two books and these are available from their website at http://www.csj.org.uk/product-category/csjown/page/2/ and represent really good value.

When are you thinking of starting the Camino yourself ??

Best Regards

Rob

4. El Condor 2014

RJS
    I am thinking late May or early September. What would you suggest ?

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again El Condor

For me it would Definitely be May – In fact out of any month, May would probably be my own choice as

1) You are walking into improving weather (Theoretically)

2) Available daylight

3) Spring flowers

4) It shouldn’t be a crowded time

Whereas, September

1) 1) You are walking into deteriorating weather (Theoretically)

2) As your walk progresses, the days are getting shorter

But, you can still get some bad weather in May and should go adequately prepared with good kit – But if you take a look at the photos from second part of my own Camino Norte which was also in May and early June, then that will at least give you an indication of what you might get weather-wise yourself :)

Best Regards

Rob

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  6. El Condor 2014

Thanks RJS,
    I will start planning for 3rd week of May.
    Do you know of a good smart phone apps that can show me the way ? Read somewhere that it is easy to get lost, specially in the big cities.
    Regards
    El Condor

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sorry El Condor, I don’t possess a smart phone so don’t know anything about App’s and as previously mentioned, I always use the little guidebooks printed by The Confraternity of Saint James and have good walking notes street by street for navigating through towns and cities.

Best Regards

Rob

Josh unçu likes this.
  8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I was impressed by what the Confraternity of Saint James has to offer.

9. Aritz

Aritz New Member

Hi there. I am a local here, living in the middle of camino del Norte (Noja). I can tell you the first post is completely excessive and totally out of context. Many caminantes I meet with, found themselves undecided to make this route, and they always change their mind. The landscape is the most beautiful without any doubt, the weather is not that bad, in fact you can sunburn from april to november, routes are getting much better marked, churches are mostly open all year, many tourist in july and august yes, but mainly empty from september to june. If you want to know anything about this route, just ask me and I'll help you as much as I can. Have a nice walk!

10. El Condor 2014

Hi @Aritz , Just read your post, Can you PM me how to find you , love to have a "Cerveza con usted " on my way thru !

Regards

Jose