Camino Forum Phishing Threat ?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Jun 27, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I check Camino Forum several times each day for the past several years. For the first time ever, I signed on this morning and received a warning message from Windows that Caminodesantiago.org.uk has been reported to Microsoft as containing a phishing threat. I copied and pasted in the message below. Has anyone else received this message? I wonder if Leslie can determine what appropriate action to take to ensure we all have safe, continued access to Camino Forum. Bob

This website has been reported as unsafe
    www.caminodesantiago.org.uk

We recommend that you do not continue to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

More information
    This website has been reported to contain the following threats:
    • Phishing threat: This is a phishing website that impersonates a trusted website to trick you into revealing personal or financial information.
    • Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.
    Windows Defender SmartScreen
    upload_2017-6-27_9-44-49.png

2. arun

arun New Member

Seems fine. I almost visit daily. No issue so far.

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have been a fairly regular poster for 3 years and can’t say that I have had any problems either Bob – Maybe drop Leslie (Site Owner) a line and see what he says – I should imagine he will look into it and pop a post up on this thread himself :)

Best Regards

Rob

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

I never had this problem until yesterday. All over the news was a large scale hacking attack. I posted below. Wonder if these are the same or are related?

Hackers have struck again in another large-scale cyberattack that targets some of the world's biggest corporations and government infrastructure. It involves malware known as "Petya," locking victims' computers and asking them to pay a Bitcoin-based ransom of $300. The disruption has spread to Maersk (OTCPK:AMKAF), Merck (NYSE:MRK), WPP (NASDAQ:WPPGY), Reckitt Benckiser (OTCPK:RBGLY) and Rosneft (OTC:RNFTF), who all blamed IT outages on the attack.

5. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Probably a dodgy advert being served up from off site, a lot of ad networks are not as careful with things as they could be. :(

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    This has nothing to do with the hack @BROWNCOUNTYBOB

This is a problem with some browsers, the problem started at the beginning of this year. There is a push by Google, Microsoft and others to force all websites to use SSL - that is a security certificate as part of the web hosting. It only happens where you have to sign into the website - any forum.

This site will be moved to SSL by the end of July. It will result in the forum being unavailable for up to one day. I will post advance notice of the move. The move, as it will involve new web hosting, will also make the forum faster.

Thanks

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Leslie. Seems like a good step to ensure website safety. Interesting that after experiencing the warning message a few times on the day I posted (which was same day as broader scale cyber attack), I've not received any warnings since then. Bob