1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Frances A Bit At A Time?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tim Shepherd, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Tim Shepherd

Tim Shepherd New Member

I am doing my first part of Camino Frances in August this year and due to time constraints anc commitments I can only do St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono. I will return to continue as soon as it’s possible to do so...
    but my question is regarding the Camino Passport, I am understanding that I can continue to use the same passport to continue my journey and not have to start another one.
    I am hoping this is the case, until I get to Sarria which will mean I have to finish it from there to get the certificate.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Tim - Many pilgrim do the CF in chunks or sections usually because of time constraints. Use the same passport for your entire journey from SJPP to Santiago. When you return to continue, pick up in Logroño using the same passport and continue on Your Way. Picking up a couple stamps a day will pretty much fill up the credencial by the time your reach Santiago. For me, it was my favorite souvenir of this journey since I can look back upon individual stamps and think about when and where the credencial was stamped. Buen Camino!

1F6ECFA8-18FE-40FB-8C47-E428D35A3906.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When I walked my own Camino Frances, I also had to split it into two sections – The first one took me from Saint Jean Pied de Port as far as Fromista, I had originally planned on getting as far as Burgos, but made better progress than I anticipated and got as far as Fromista.

Then, two years later, I returned to Fromista, stayed in the Municipal Refugio there as I had done on the last night of my first section, got a second identical stamp (But with a date of two years later) in my original Credentials and continued my Camino – I again did a little better than anticipated and manage to walk all the way to Finisterra – But picking up my Compostela on the way thorough Santiago de Compostela (Then getting the additional Compostela from the Municipal Refugio in Finisterra :) )

So, I can confirm from my own experiences that you can use the same Credentials and still get your Compostela when you arrive in Santiago de Compostela without problems - Even if that is several years later !!

The only other “Advice” I can offer is not to have a fixed finishing point, but to do a little research in advance to check on transport options back to whichever city you flew into from places en-route both before and after Logrono

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Tim, you'll be surprised how quickly your credential fills up with stamps ("sellos" in Spanish). You can easily collect 3 or 4 a day in bars, restaurants, museums, cathedrals. Both caminos we filled our first credential early on, then bought a second one. During our camino last fall, we completely filled our second credential. As Wily said, they make great souvenirs. Bob

5. Tim Shepherd

Tim Shepherd New Member

Thanks Bob, did wonder if peeps filled it up and started again

Greg Canning likes this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Totally agree that Credentials make great souvenirs, but, personally I stick to one cello per day unless there is a place of particular note that I want to remember :)

Rob

Credentials .JPG

Greg Canning likes this.
  7. Tim Shepherd

Tim Shepherd New Member

Mine ready to get filled

Attached Files:

Greg Canning likes this.
  8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I Hope that it is the First on Many :)

Rob

Greg Canning, danvo and Tim Shepherd like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

I always get one each day where I sleep, and then where I eat if I get good service so as I can have a reference for others when asked.

Greg Canning, Tim Shepherd and danvo like this.
  10. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I wanted to get all of my stamps into one Credential so I stuck to one stamp per day, where we slept, until the last 100 km when I got the required two per day. I wanted to get all stamps into one booklet. Our group of four was a little bit lazier than some as we did 39 days of walking to get to Santiago. Even at that slower pace I feel like I missed so much.