1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Frances In January 2018 - Sarria To Santiago

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Alannah, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Alannah

Alannah New Member

Hi,

I'm looking at walking the last 100km of the Camino Frances this January but will more than likely be doing this on my own. I'm a bit apprehensive as it's off peak time and am worried that I will be walking for days without meeting people. Has anyone walked around this time? Can you tell me how often I should expect to meet others along the way?

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

I haven't walked it in January, Alannah, but welcome here. A way to get a very general idea might be to have a look at the daily stats for those coming into Santiago at https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/. They post the number of arrivals twice a day on the first page. So far today it's 49 at their 2 pm post. They'll post the total for the day around 20:30. That would include those arriving from all the Caminos. I'd imagine that fellow pilgrims would be sparse, but maybe not so much so since you're doing the last 100km. Best wishes for a wonderful winter Camino!

3. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    I haven't considered walking at that time of year. April/May was cold enough. :)

4. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

Hi Alannah, Ice and snow that time of year with some long steep climbs, some alburgue will be closed and very few peregrino's, so needs planning and wrap up well.
    good luck,
    PS, love your name, my father, who was Irish called me and my brothers and sisters Alannah.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  5. Iain McKie

Iain McKie New Member

Home Page:
    Hi, I started a walk in late Feb and didn’t reach where your starting near end of March and there were lots of people then however at the end of January I don’t know. I know that you will not be the only person though and that there are always people on the Camino. My advice would be enjoy the not so busyness that can happen later on. Buen Camino for when it comes