Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Francis/september 2017

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Rita Modaressi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Rita Modaressi

Rita Modaressi New Member

I will be leaving Canada last week of Aug/2017 to begin my camino from SJPD. Anyone out there beginning their walk at this time? This will be my retirement gift to myself.

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Rita, my wife and I will be a week or so behind you. We walked the camino last fall, so this will be our second camino. I retired at the end of 2014. Like you, our first camino was a retirement gift to myself.

Next fall we are walking with my brother and his wife. We arrive in Madrid on Sept 5 and will begin our camino from SJPDP on Friday, Sept 8. Good luck planning your camino. Hope to see you on the trail.

Bob

3. Rita Modaressi

Thank you for your reply. I am not an experienced walker so you may catch up with me. I pick places every 4 or 5 years and just get up and go. In 2012 I walked to Mt Everest Base Camp from the old trail head in Jiri. Took me twice as long as the other groups I started out with. I have devoured so many books on the camino and the experiences of others, in my heart I feel as though I have walked it with them. Next year I will write my own chapter. Cheers!

Ginamarie, Peggi and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Rita, I spent several years researching the camino before our walk last fall. I probably read more than 20 books on the camino and read the camino forum daily. Even though my wife and I had little hiking experience, we were confident that we had the right gear and we were fit enough to be successful. Despite her knee pain, we arrived in Santiago on Oct 31 last year. Early on, we decided not to race other pilgrims and simply allow the fast walkers to pass us by on the trail.

We are making a few adjustments next fall. We are allowing 38 days to hike from SJPDP to Santiago (35 days last year), we are shipping my wife's backpack ahead every day via Jacotrans (we did this last year after she developed knee pain 10 days into our walk). The first day we are taking the Valcarlos route rather than Napoleon route. We're taking two rest days and allowing more comfort by staying in smaller rooms in private albergues. And we'll take a few less things to make our backpacks lighter.

We're very excited to plan for our second camino. Best regards, Bob

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Rita - Bob offers you a lot of good advice in his posting. In particular, I like the 38 days to walk the CF that he suggests. I walked it in 31 days last spring and that was too fast. Although I was quite fit to do what I did, I feel that the pace caused me to miss a few things. I've just purchased tickets to Portugal next late March where my wife and I will begin the Camino Portugués in Porto. Although it is a much shorter Camino than the CF, we plan, on the average, to walk only 20 kms. a day. We plan to smell a lot of roses!

Bob's second point I want to reinforce is that of carrying as light a backpack as possible. On my Camino, I kept to the 10% recommendation, but even that was more than I needed to carry. For our upcoming Camino, I will carry no more than 7 kgs. and my wife probably even a bit less than that. "To walk far, carry less."

6. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Hey Rita - Bob offers you a lot of good advice in his posting. In particular, I like the 38 days to walk the CF that he suggests. I walked it in 31 days last spring and that was too fast. Although I was quite fit to do what I did, I feel that the pace caused me to miss a few things. I've just purchased tickets to Portugal next late March where my wife and I will begin the Camino Portugués in Porto. Although it is a much shorter Camino than the CF, we plan, on the average, to walk only 20 kms. a day. We plan to smell a lot of roses!

Wily
    I walked the PC from Oporto earlier this year in June . You have 2 options the costal or the traditional routes. I walked both in 2 sections.The costal route from Porto to Caminha then crossed over to Tui and then on the traditional route to Santiago. The costal route is much quieter than the traditional route and the way marking some stages on the coastal route leaves a lot to be desired or since I was walking solo missed them.?
    I found the Portuguese and Spanish very warm and welcoming. I would recommend you take the opportunity to walk the spiritual variation from Redondela it takes you off the traditional route and rejoins at Padron. A dutch friend walked this last year and said it was amazing experience. I was totally unaware it existed until I reached Redondela , by that time it was to late to change camino my plans as I needed to be in Santiago at given date. Its a strange feeling when you cross the boarder form Portugal to Spain you gain an hour because they are in diffident time zones

Beun Camino

Raymond John

Ginamarie and Wily like this.
  7. Wily

Hey Raymond - Thank you so much for the CP information. We have not yet decided upon a route other than walking out of Porto along the coast the first day since I understand the other route leaves a lot to be desired. A lot more research to be done! I will definitely study the Redondela to Padron segment you mentioned. We have the time to do extra walking, so this might be a great option and opportunity.

As always, this Forum offers all of us some excellent information. Whether one is a veteran or a newbie, there is so much to be gained from each other by what is generously shared here.

8. Rita Modaressi

Thank you Bob for all your wonderful advice. Buen Camino!

9. Tyler Webb

Tyler Webb New Member

We will be walking the Camino in September 2017 also. Not sure of the dates as the airfares will drive our final decision as to whether we fly at the end of August or early September. We are debating having our backpacks forwarded each day and will be staying in hotels or other private facilities.

Ginamarie likes this.
  10. Rita Modaressi

11. Rita Modaressi

I am looking at leaving somewhere between Aug 31 and Sept 5. I think staying in hotels and/or other private facilities is a fabulous idea. Forwarding my backpack is something I have thought about but not sure how to go about arranging that.

12. Wily

Hey Rita - Forwarding your backpack is very simple. JacoTrans provides the service. One does nothing more than fill out a card and put about 7€ in an envelope attached to your pack. Packs get picked up at the place where you have spent the night and sent on to your next stop. Magwood mentioned in another thread that the Spanish Postal Service was also now providing a similar service. It looks to be competitive pricewise. In any case, all of the albergues where I stayed were prepared with luggage tags for the transfer. I only used it once, but it worked very efficiently without any problems. The only thing you need to know in advance is where you want your pack sent. If you make reservations in advance, even just one day ahead, you'll be all set. Do plan on bringing a small day pack with you for the hike.

Ginamarie likes this.
  13. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

At Orisson I saw people with normal suit cases using Jaco Trans to send them on and then hiking with a small day pack.

14. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Rita, sounds like a fantastic retirement present.

At the moment my partner and I are both working so we can only do the Camino in sections for now. We have used Jacotrans and found them to be very reliable. If you have some idea of the distances you might travel each day and can plan ahead then Jacotrans have a website with a table that lets you enter your starting place and destination for each day. It calculates the distance and gives you an indication of the cost (as Wily says it's usually around €7 per day). As far as I know they will transfer a bag up to 15 kilos in wait but you might want to check that.

You can also book your transfers in advance on the site or as Wily says you have the option to do it on a day by day basis. Normally they ask that you have your bag in reception before 8am each morning with the payment in an envelope and a tag setting out the destination. They then transfer it to your destination or a specified location such as an albergue in your destination town. I have to say with my bad knee I wouldn't have made it to Roncesvalles without their service. Not having to carry a full pack allowed me to do the climb over the Pyrenness in one day.

Their webpages is :-

http://jacotrans.com/

and you can select English as a language.

Best of luck with your planning.

Buen Camino

Greg

Ginamarie and Wily like this.
  15. Rita Modaressi

16. Rita Modaressi

Thanks Wily. Great info!

17. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Tyler, I booked hotel rooms pre and post camino - for overnights in Madrid, Pamplona, SJPDP, Santiago and Madrid. I made the reservations in early August and was already getting warning messages that "only one room left on this date". Same thing for a hotel in Burgos, and the three paradors. You can also book hotels on Hotel.com and Booking.com but they don't book as far in advance as Expedia.

As Wily has advised, it is very easy to research albergues in each town. One website that is very helpful, listing all albergues town by town with details in English is "Wise Pilgrim". I began contacting a few albergues asking when they accept reservations for September, 2017. Most of them said they won't begin taking reservations until February or March of next year.

So if you are planning to stay in hotels, you may want to book rooms very soon. Reservations for private albergues can be made early next year.

Bob

Ginamarie likes this.
  18. Rita Modaressi

19. Rita Modaressi

Hi Greg. Transporting my pack is what I will be doing. I was worried about carrying my pack across the Pyrenees. Thanks for the info.

20. Greg Canning

Hi Rita

Well as I say we found Jacotrans very reliable and we are using them again next we week (we start this time from Pamplona on 1 October).

I see you will be walking in August. It's going to be very hot then and still quite hot into September so enuring you have light clothes and shoes/boots will be essential. As Wily has said there's lots of good advice on the forum about what to wear and how to pack (and it really is all about packing light). Get yourself some good, and again light, walking boots or shoes, and give yourself plenty of time to get used to walking in them. I'd also recommend walking/hiking poles.

You have plenty of time and the research and prep is part of the fun.

Buen Camino

Greg

21. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I got dehydrated in May. Drink a lot of water/beer etc.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Ginamarie likes this.
  22. Greg Canning

Agree entirely but would suggest drinking a lot of water :)))

I have to say the reward of a very large gin & tonic at the end of a long day's walk often helped to keep me going :)

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  23. Rita Modaressi

24. Rita Modaressi

Hi Greg, I have a pair of trekking boots for fall/winter weather, so I will go and purchase a lighter pair for my camino trail. Again, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

25. Tyler Webb

Tyler Webb New Member

The challenge I have right now is I wanted to book the airfare first and I cannot find an airline that will allow me to book for October 2017 for the return trip.

26. Wily

Hey Tyler - You're still so far out that you be fine in finding the lowest fares out there once they do become available. As for other reservations, I believe those, too, will be just fine. Finding beds or rooms in albergues or hotels for a fall walk should not be any problem even if you wait until spring to book them. I did most of my reservations in March for a May Camino. No problems at all! Still, once you do get your dates, you can get started on the other reservations. The planning is half the fun!

27. Peggi

Peggi New Member

I have not yet planned my Camino, however, it is tentatively in my head for Spring of 2018. U an enjoying reading and learning from all of you. Rita, I envy you and the others getting ready and those who have already done it. Thank you for allowing me to follow along on this journey through this forum.

28. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Hi Rita, I will be doing the same coming from Australia :) Hope to meet you along the way. I am doing mine for my 50th and because my surgeon said I would never do it - and well HE is wrong :D

29. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Wily, cannot remember where I saw it but I think from memory that if you intend to using their shipping service the entire way - go to their website and book it in to receive a much better price than paying daily :) I too am like you and doing SJPD to Finisterre and then Muxia and I am only doing 20kms a day - no more :D have decided 7 weeks to Santiago - a week for Finisterre and onto Muxia (with rest of course) and then a week in Madrid to explore :) You have convinced me on many discussion points that savouring the walk is far more important than beating a race record :rolleyes: Also by allowing so much time - I have allowed for down days due to blisters, back pain or just feeling a bit tired so less kms walked on a given day. This forum is so good.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  30. Rita Modaressi

31. Rita Modaressi

Hi Peggi,
    I have had it in my head for many years also. Eventually it all comes together and it will for you as well. Buen Camino!