Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Francis/september 2017

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Rita Modaressi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Depending on how strong a walker you are, you might think about Orisson.

2. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Already all over it UnkleHammy :D

SimLin likes this.
  3. freetobe

freetobe Member

Interested to kno
    Would love to know which hotel you booked in Bayonne. I have been looking at trip advisor and booking.com and still not sure which hotel to book late Sept. I have opted for 2 nights in Bayonne so I can really sleep in the next day and see the sights before heading off to SJPDP. Cheers Janet

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  4. Tina-Marie Brownie

Hello Freetobe, I am staying in Ibis Styles Bayonne which is right on the river and around the corner fromt he train to take you to SJPD :) link below
    https://www.agoda.com/ibis-styles-b...equestid=27776a30-2f4e-4685-916a-3ab7e4840619

5. freetobe

freetobe Member

I thought it might have been. Only downside I could see from reviews were noisy am starts from delivery vehicles but you can't have everything. I am inclined to go for it also. Cheers and thanks.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  6. Tina-Marie Brownie

Yes I saw that Freetobe but I guess the trade off was the rail being close and a wonderful view :)

freetobe likes this.
  7. UnkleHammy

20160504_092105.jpg
    I stayed at the Hotel de la Gare. It is about 100 Meters from the train station and located on very quiet street that is closed to traffic. However it is not one of the great hotels of the world.

Wily likes this.
  8. Randi

Randi New Member

I will arrive to Biarritz the 4th of september 2017. Then go to SJDP to start.

9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Randi, we begin our camino from SJDP on Sept 8th, so perhaps we'll see you on the trail.

10. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Nice photo UnkleHammy. I think any town in France that has a train station also has a Hotel de la Gare. Probably a majority of them, at least the one's that I have stayed in, could be described just as you described the one in SJPP: not one of the great hotels of the world. Alas, I remember my choice of a number of them had to do first with price and secondly with location. They were generally one of the cheapest places to sleep in town.

Fortunately, SJPP has a number of good albergues for pilgrims. I stayed at the Gîte Ultreia. Very nice place in the center of the old town and just down the street from the Pilgrim's Office. It was a great introduction to the private albergue system along the Camino. Reservations are recommended! My only regret is that because I left at daylight, I missed what I understand to be a very good breakfast offered by the very kind hospitaleras there. I will definitely book there on my next trip through.

11. UnkleHammy

Whoops, that hotel is on Bayonne. I forgot to mention that detail.

12. Wily

Hey Hammy - Bayonne is a pretty maneageable town to get around on foot. Had you just walked across the bridge into the heart of the old part of the city, not at all far from the train station, a number of pretty decent hotels exists. Of course, you may have gotten the economical deal of the day by staying at the Hotel de la Gare. In any case, anyone needing to spend a night in Bayonne should check out places on booking.com.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. Ashna Maharaj

Ashna Maharaj Ashna Maharaj

We are on an eight week trip so need other clothing for week before and two weeks after & will need to forward our extra clothes in a duffel whilst we walk with our backpacks. Only thing we prefer probably sending two weeks or so ahead just not sure where we will be so difficult to guess where to send the duffel ahead to.

14. Ashna Maharaj

Ashna Maharaj Ashna Maharaj

Lovely gift to yourself- 50th Birthday Me too my Camino is my 50th gift to myself

Dr Pants and Tina-Marie Brownie like this.
  15. Wily

Hey Ashna - You may have already seem this information since several of us have posted it on other threads.

Check out Ivar's website for luggage storage in Santiago. Just go to casaivar.com for all the specifics of the reliable service he offers pilgrims. You certainly don't want to be lugging a duffle along with you on your Camino.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  16. dottie

dottie New Member

I have booked Delta round trip headed out in September, home in October.

17. Garrett

Garrett New Member

Hello! I too am planning to hike the Camino this September 2017. I am from Colorado USA!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  18. Rita Modaressi

Rita Modaressi New Member

Hi Garrett. I am arriving in Biarritz on September 8 at 5:45pm. I have booked a private taxi to SJPDP. Happy to share it with you or anyone else arriving at the same time!

19. Garrett

Garrett New Member

Thats great! I have no solid plan for how I am getting to SJPDP, I was going to fly into Paris but didnt think to look at flying to Biarritz. If I can find a reasonably priced flight perhaps I will just meet you there!

20. Rita Modaressi

I am flying into Paris as well. Arriving there at around 7 am. Long layover. Flying from Paris to Biarritz at 4:20

21. Dr Pants

Dr Pants New Member

Hi Rita and Tina, Im coming from Oz :) but the lower end - Melbourne. Starting on the 11 September for my first Camino. Might see you along the way. I'm not planning to rush this as these experiences don't come along too often. I'm very lucky that I am in a position to do it now - work, life, before my 50th etc. Buen Camino!

22. Rita Modaressi

Hi Dr Pants. I start walking from SJPDP on September 9, stopping in Orisson overnight, and then on to Burguete on the 10th. Perhaps we will run into each other. Buen Camino!

23. Jose

Jose Active Member

I am also arriving in Paris from Mexico and will take a TGV from the airport that afternoon to Bayonne, spend the night and take the local train over to Saint Jean Pied de Port the next morning. That´s one alternative. I am leaving for Orisson on the 17th of September

24. Nan

Nan New Member

Leaving Alberta on 6th Sept. Starting SJPP on the 8th. You probably will be quite a bit ahead of me to catch up to. Buen Camino.

25. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh New Member

Just following up on Wily's comment about backpack transport using Correos (Spanish Postal Service). Details in English are here

https://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite..._documentos/detalle_de_producto-sidioma=en_GB

Seems you just drop your pack into any Correos location on the route and pay €5 and it gets forwarded on but the catch is in the delivery time of 72 hours. May be of use to someone but can't see Jacotrans being worried about it.

26. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Nan - my wife, brother, his wife and I leave St Jean on Sept 8th. They will probably walk the Napoleon Route. This is our second camino, so my wife and I are walking the Valcarlos route. Hope to see you in Roncesvalles. Bob

Nan likes this.
  27. Tina-Marie Brownie

Buen Camino Dr Pants, you never know you might see me along the way as I am taking 7 weeks to walk the Camino due to recent surgery - so you just never know :)

28. Nan

Nan New Member

Breaking it up at Orrison for the night, so most probably not...but who knows. Buen Camino Browncountybob