Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Ideal Equipment List

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Erwin, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Erwin

Erwin New Member

Hello,
    I have gathered a pretty much minimalistic ideal packing list for the Camino Frances. Critics would be recommended, so I would know what to add and what to delete out of the list.

You can find my packing list here - http://www.walk-the-camino.com/camino-packing-list/

I would be happy if I could help you out.

Regards,
    Erwin

danvo likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Erwin - Welcome to the Forum. Great minimalist, ultra-light list of essentials for the Camino. How much did your pack weigh?

My packing list is almost identical. My differences are more personal preferences than disagreements with your list. If I only packed what you suggest, I'd be a happy hiker.

A few of my preferences would include:

- 1 pair of long pants or those that zipper off to make shorts. Every article of clothing I carry is of wicking material and light weight.
    - I'm not really a hoodie-type guy, but my fleece was invaluable. Not much weight difference if any between the two.
    - 2 t-shirts (wicking material) are enough. I just would add 1 long sleeve, light-weight thermal shirt. I'm a big fan of layering plus I often slept in it.
    - 2 pairs of high quality hiking socks (I wore Moreno wool socks). You may have included these in your underwear category.
    -along with your needle and thread for blisters, carry a small roll of pharmaceutical paper tape and possible some sort of anti-friction gel or lotion for your feet.
    - when choosing your skeeping bag, keep weight in mind. A 1-season, 1-pound bag is more than enough.
    -for raingear, I kept it simple and light. 1 poncho.
    - a money belt is essential. I never took mine off except to shower and it still stayed close by.

Great point at the end focusing on the weight of the backpack and the enjoyment of the walk. "To walk far, carry less." Buen Camino!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    RJS likes this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Take few Safety pins as replacement for clothes pins, for drying clothes.

Ginamarie and RJS like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Good info posted by Wily and danvo and I aren’t going to argue ;-)

I also aren’t really into Hoodie’s and also agree that “a money belt (Or similar) is essential”

Personally, I aren’t a Poncho Guy and prefer to wear a single shell “Gortex” type jacket, shorts, gaiters and “Gortex” Fabric boots when it rains – Then the rain runs off the bottom of the jacket, down my bare legs, over my gaiters and boots and this keeps my feet dry – Well for several hours in any case.

One other “Tip” would be to include one of my Rucksack Pro-Tector’s as apart from these helping to ensure that your rucksack gets safely to your starting point, they also have a second function of acting as a water resistant liner for your rucksack (Personally well tested by me on several wet Caminos and other long distance walks) – The weight of the smaller version (Which fits a rucksack up to around 50 litres) is less than 300g http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/rucksack.html

Final Tip from me would be Layers and If you opt for a single shell “Gortex” type jacket, this also acts as a wind stopper

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie likes this.
  5. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

wow minimalist approach for sure :) I think I would pack some sleeping clothes and maybe light clothing for those down days not walking (ie: town exploration) - well I am a girl after all :oops:

6. Orava

Orava Active Member

Buy a cheap knife when you arrive in Spain then donate it before leaving for home. That way you can take your small pack as cabin luggage etc.

You will need a lightweight hiking towel.

A spork is also very handy.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. Keith Jones

Keith Jones New Member

I just returned from my Camino and what you take is very personal as you know your tolerance for cold, weight, wet, etc.

I left SJPP on 5/19/17 and a storm had just hit the Pyrenees and while it had stopped raining in SJPP as I got above Orisson, the wind picked up and it rained and sleeted (some saw snow). We had a cold rain coming out of Roncesvalles as well. Just before I left Spain on 6/30/17, a similar storm hit the Pyrenees again and in parts they got a significant amount of wet snow. I tell you this because in the mountains, things can change quickly and you need to be prepared. My list is below:

Keen low boots
    2 pair of SmartWool socks
    3 pair of liner socks
    3 pair of Ex Officio tech underwear
    2 REI tech t-shirts, short sleeve
    1 tech long sleeve shirt (see profile pic)
    1 pair of tech convertible pants (legs zipped off 90% of the time)
    1 pair of UnderArmor running shorts (swimming and to wear when I washed my pants)
    1 Rain Jacket (layers with other clothes to keep warm as well)
    1 Frog Toggs light-weight rain pants (needed them in the Pyrenees for rain and another layer of warmth)
    1 hat (lost my first in the mountains on day 1) a wide brim will help keep the sun off
    Bandana (left mine in Fisterra, seemed like it belonged there)

I wore my rain jacket on 7 days, very glad I had it. A poncho would not have provided the layering that I needed on several days. Temps ranged while I was on the Camino from 39/4 degrees in the mountains to over 101/39 the day I climbed up to O'Cebreiro on June 18th. It then got cool, rainy and very windy in Santiago/Fisterra/A Coruna.

I won't get in to toiletries but don't take too much, you can always find more soap or toothpaste, etc.

Wily likes this.
  8. calowie

calowie Member

In my opinion, the camino ideal equipment list is that list of things that is necessary for each individual, and therefore will be different for each person based on preferences. We took 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair pants, 2-3 pairs of socks, underwear, socks, etc as mentioned above. The differences people seem to discuss most are footwear (we took Keen hiking shoes), sandals for afterwards, backpacks (we had Osprey 36L), and rain gear. On the norte and primitivo there was wind along with rain- so we had rain pants and rain jackets that doubled for warmth on early morning starts, often around 15C, and cool evenings. And we took a 600g sleeping bag as well that we used every night. Total weight ~ 7Kg. If you have things you never used, you took too much. If you didn't take things you really needed- you took to little. No gold stars awarded for being perfect- everyone is different, and because of conditions and people along the way, every camino is different!