Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino In November

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Rob Hunter, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Rob Hunter

Rob Hunter New Member

Hi All,
    I am setting off on the 4th of November to do the Camino Frances as a pennance for hurting a very special person. I intend to do this on a bare-bones basis but would like some advice on refugios and what to take. I do not want any comforts. Is it advisable to take a small tent at this time of year and what weather can I expect in the high grounds.

2. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi Rob,

You will not be alone on the Camino Frances, there have been quite a few threads on winter Caminos. A tent is not required and I would strongly suggest that you use the pilgrims hostels - it can get quite cold and it would not be a good idea to sleep out in a tent. I have slept in a tent during September and even then it was very cold during the night.

http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/forum/camino-portugues/434-first-time-early-november.html
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/forum/weather/66-camino-frances-october-november.html

And in this thread see the second post from Sil
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/forum/general-chat/937-camino-frances-winter.html

3. Rob Hunter

Rob Hunter New Member

Thanks Leslie,
    A small tent was an idea if I went on past a refugio and didn't make the next one.
    Although this pilgramige is a pennance, I am beginning to get exited about starting. Will there still be many people on the Camino in November?

Rob.

4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    The first time I walked down the Camino I took a lot of "stuff" that was not required.

I have been thinking about some things in life recently - one of the main things is, How much is enough?

I had very little possessions on the Camino and it was good, I sit right now in my home office and wonder how I managed to get all the stuff that surrounds me, stuff that is used little or never.

I think one of the best things about the Camino is being with other people, a tent is the opposite. One last thing on the tent is the weight, keeping your pack light will be harder anyway in the winter - I strongly suggest to use the hostels and be with others walking the way. Just a suggestion.

5. unadara

unadara New Member

Rob
    I think there will be many people walking, the numbers coming into Santiago in October are very high. We still managed to walk alone a lot of the time. I would not recommend a tent. If you walk many hours you need to be able to rest well to keep fit enough to walk, I think you might be too cold also. The alberque system is wonderful. Some nights you will have snorers in the rooms but you will be warm and dry and carrying less weight too!

6. aeveling

aeveling New Member

Home Page:
    Hi Rob,

I'm just down the road from you, in Salisbury.
    I'm starting from SJPP on 9th November and hoping for the continued good weather.
    You won't need a tent. I've tried it and it was a waste of time.

Andrew.

7. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Rob ~

You'll also find that some albergues close at the end of October (example: Orisson). The albergue guide they give at St. Jean's Pilgrim Office lists closures, but you can also go to the great Spanish website by Consumer Eroski El Camino Francés | Guía del Camino de Santiago | EROSKI CONSUMER and dig down to find each albergue's winter closures.

Buen camino!

8. Rob Hunter

Rob Hunter New Member

Thanks Guys for the advice.
    I am just a little anxious about this, but I am doing this as a pennance and to find some faith. I will leave the tent and hopefully I will find a roof to shelter under on a night.

Rob.