1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino In Reverse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sologuy1, Jun 18, 2018.

1. sologuy1

sologuy1 New Member

Sarria to Santiago and from there to Porto is about the distance I want to do for my first camino. I understand that a credencial is necessary to stay in alburgues as a pilgrim. But I wonder how that would work if I'm walking FROM Santiago to Porto. Would I need another credencial for the Camino Portugues and have it stamped in reverse? If anyone has experience doing part of a camino this way, I'd appreciate knowing if there were any problems being admitted to sleeping quarters.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When I walked The Camino Aragones which joins The Camino Frances at Obanos (Near Punte la Reina,) I walked back to Pamplona in the reverse direction – I did this because I had already walked The Camino Frances once and didn’t wish to walk the same route in the same direction for a second time.

The first thing to mention is that walking a Camino in the opposite direction to how it was laid out is very difficult as the yellow arrows (Which are often painted on street signs and streetlamps) aren’t always visible without continually looking back – Also, route descriptions written in guidebooks are very difficult to follow when written in reverse and all the rights become lefts and you are trying to read the instructions backwards !!!!

So - Sure enough, we lost the route in the outskirts of Pamplona.

I aren’t sure what the Hospitalario’s at the Refugio’s will say to you as accommodation is provided for Pilgrims walking TO Santiago de Compostela and although I have come across several Pilgrims walking routes back home, I get the impression that Porto isn’t where you live ?? – Others will come along and give their take on this, but if you attempt this, I don’t think that a second Credential would be beneficial.

My initial thoughts would be to suggest that you set off in Porto, walk The Camino Portuguese to Santiago de Compostela and claim your Compostela, catch a bus to Saria and then walk back to Santiago de Compostela, and If you wish, claim a second Compostela :)

This suggestion would need to sets of Credentials

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Sologuy - We walked the Portugués just a bit over a year ago. Although it is well signed for the pilgrim heading north to Santiago, I would imagine a certain difficulty catching all the markers heading “in reverse” as you plan. However, what will assist your are the blue arrows indicating the pilgrimage route south to Fatima. These markers are not as formal, usually a simple spray painted arrow, but certainly plentiful enough to keep you on the right track. From everything I could see, the two routes, either north to Santiago or south to Fstima, are one in the same. Nonetheless, walking a Camino in reverse would be a challenge, but the Portugués might be easier than others due to the signage to Fatima. Follow the blue arrows and you’ll find Porto. Bom Caminho!

danvo likes this.
  4. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi @sologuy1 welcome to the forum! If you want two Compostelas, you must walk from Porto to Santiago. Otherwise the way from Santiago to Porto is well marked by BLUE arrows - it is the way to Fatima. If you only want to walk, I think it will be ok to use one credential for both parts of your way :)

EDIT: Sorry for this duplicity... I forget to send this post this morning when I wrote it. Now just sent :)

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.