1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Madrid In October

Discussion in 'Camino de Madrid' started by Dinah, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Dinah

Dinah Member

I am interested in doing the Camino Madrid in October but going through Ourense, not the Camino Frances. Does anyone know how to do that? Distance from Madrid to Santiago that way? Any other helpful information appreciated.

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Dinah - Hope all is well in Guatemala this summer. Interesting that you mention this Camino since it is the one that I’ve been researching to walk in the spring. Unfortunately, my wife’s vacation schedule won’t allow us to walk longer than two weeks, so we’ll only be going as far as Sahagun where the Madrid connects to the Francés. You probably already have a map of the Camino routes like this one.

601FC062-3A4A-4B51-BF00-A3EBF325EB2C.jpeg

Just as someone looking at the map and not as someone who has walked it, it seems to me that jumping on the Francés at Sahagun to Astorga and then backtracking down the VdlP until just north of Zamora to catch the route continuing up to Ourense is both long and a bit convoluted. If I were planning the route that would take me how you want to go, I’d walk as far as Valladolid (8 stages or 220 kms) on the Camino Madrid. At that point, there is a main highway that goes directly west to Zamora. You could bus between these two locations (1h22m).

http://www.laregionalvsa.com/lineasregulares/linea_detalle/1/

At Zamora pick up the VdlP that will take you up to Ourense and then on into Santiago (12 stages or approximately 260 kms). As far as mileage, if you visit Gronze.com, you can piece together stages and get at least an approximation of the typical stage distances.

Since there isn’t a connection from the Madrid over to the VdlP other than going all the way up to the CF, and if you don’t mind taking the bus for the Valladolid-Zamora segment, it seems to this amateur geographer the simplest route to go. Buen Camino!

3. Dinah

Dinah Member

Thanks. I think perhaps it was Via de la Plata that goes through Ourense. I just don't want to end up on the Frances and Madrid looked like a nice Camino. Also I hear Via de la Plata has no transport for backpacks and my back won't let me carry on for any distance.

Wily likes this.
  4. Dinah

Dinah Member

Wily things have not been well in Antigua. We had a horrible volcanic eruption killing many, many more than the government says and leaving thousands without homes or a way to make a living. Not good. Are you coming to Antigua in August?

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and Wily like this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Dinah

Sorry to hear that things have not been well in Antigua and hope that they improve soon – Its many years since I sailed into Nelsons Dockyard on a replica of Francis Drake’s Golden Hinde :)

I can’t comment on The Camino Madrid as its one that I didn’t get around to walking :-(

But I did walk The Via de la Plata and, you are correct that there didn’t used to be a luggage transfer service on that route, but I believe things are now changing rapidly and that https://www.pilbeo.com/backpack-tra...a;jsessionid=65CAF3E82163E25CECFAA63DCC2024C2 have started transferring luggage on the 4 sages between Orense and Santiago de Compostela.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  6. Wily

Hey Dinah - Yes, your problems around Antigua with Fuego this year were horrible. The images of the people and devastation were aweful! No Guate trip right now, but maybe during the winter months. Heading to Europe in the fall instead. I’ll keep you posted.

My wife and I also thought that the Camino Madrid looked to be a good walk. I wish we had more than two weeks, but we’ll make the most of our time on the Camino. We’re also looking forward to spending a few days exploring Madrid both at the start and the end of the trip. In any case, depending on how much time you have to spend there, I’m sure you’ll put together a great experience for yourself. Buen Camino!

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  7. Dinah

Dinah Member

Thank you very much for the luggage info. Unfortunately, I'd need it for the whole Camino but we'll see.

RJS likes this.
  8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Dinah – Pleased to pass on the info and I suspect that luggage transfer companies will soon be offering their services for the whole of the route – Alas, probably not in time for your next Camino though ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

9. Dinah

Dinah Member

I probably won't do the Madrid or VdlPlalta this time. I have a Spanish Camino friend in Oviedo who might walk with me so I'll aim for the Primitivo or the remainder of the Norte which I didn't do last time

Wily likes this.
  10. Dinah

Dinah Member

Let's keep in touch as I will be bopping around Europe as well in the fall besides the Camino. Basel to visit a classmate and Amsterdam to visit a famous friend (She wrote The Happy Hooker which was probably before your time.) and Malaga to visit friends. Have a great trip. Winter months are the best in Guatemala-dry season and great weather and clear skies. Hope to see you then

Wily likes this.
  11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Choosing between The Camino Primativo and your remaining section of The Camino Norte won’t be an easy decision – But I suspect that you will eventually walk both routes :)

My only input would be, if you opt for The Camino Primativo, then to start this at Villlaviciosa as apart from it being a beautiful town, the route between there and Oviedo is also interesting with nice places to stay including the small Refugio in the grounds of the monastery at Valdedios,

I Loved walking The Camino Primativo and being from Lakeland, felt very at home in the mountains, but then when I walked the coastal route I also Loved that – So Good Luck with making your choice.

Best Regards

Rob

12. Dinah

Dinah Member

I will be waiting to see how my hamstring comes along but am hoping to do the Primitivo in October from Oviedo as I have a Camino buddy who lives there and might accompany me. I could, of course, start in Villaviciosa and meet her in Oviedo. My original plan was to start with the San Salvador, but my injury has put that aside for now. I loved the Norte. I did not think it was difficult but I live in the mountains and climb mountains and volcanoes as a routine. If I can get healthy I am sure the Primitivo won't be too difficult. Thank you

13. Wily

Hey Dinah - Xaviera Hollander is your famous friend? Wow! I remember that book very well from the late 70s if my memory is correct. It made quite the spash!

I will keep in touch regarding my travels. Still putting together my Camino plans, but should have them figured out in the next few weeks. So many good possibilites to choose from regarding routes. And yes, Guate in the winter is the best! Can’t wait to return there as well. Take care and Buen Camino!

14. Dinah

Dinah Member

Yep Xaviera is my friend and you'll never guess where we met. Antigua! If you wait long enough everyone comes through Antigua. She did a small book signing at a friend's house. We've been in touch ever since and she's been wanting me to visit her at her B&B in Amsterdam so off I go! She's a really great gal!

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.