1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino No 2 - Route Advise

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lindy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Lindy

Lindy New Member

Hello All,

I did my first Camino (alone) in October 2014 and have yearned for more since returning home!! I walked from Sarria to Finisterre in 8 days on that trip and am seeking advise for my second journey.

I'm 64 and my 70 year old sister is joining me this time - she's a good walker but a little older than me which means I may not be able to be as adventurous as I was the first time. The longest day I had was 29 kms in 2014.

We only have a week. I would love to walk a different way as I do not want to compare the second walk with the first. I don't want to keep telling her "up here is this" or "around this corner is the most beautiful village"! I want her to be able to experience the Camino for herself as well as share it with me.

I am thinking of walking from Tui to Santiago and would welcome any suggestions as to how it may compare to Sarria to Santiago so I can make a decision where my sister's ability is concerned.

Or if anyone can suggest any other routes that I could consider I love to hear from you .

Many thanks for any help you can all provide.

Buen Camino

2. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

Hi Lindy,

From Tui, it is about 120km to Santiago so that should be doable for almost everyone over a week. It took my wife and I five days back in 2014 to cover that section. I recall this part was not as hilly as the last 100km of the Frances.

Note that if you do have any problems, there is pretty decent infrastructure along this part of the Portuguese route that will allow you to get transport or other assistance, if needed.

You also may consider starting in Portugal, even if just across the river in Valenca. That town is a touristy but beautiful. It just sounds better to me to walk from Portugal to Santiago. :p

Also, be careful around Orbenlle. I understand that they are still having a bit of a "arrow war" with competing establishments taking turns to change the directions of the arrows so that the Caminho goes past their bar or restaurant. There is a green, riverside route into Porrino which is the best way.

Finally, in 2014 I found that the Portuguese Caminho gave me a fairly similar experience to the Frances in terms of meeting people, the camaraderie, the albegues, the food, etc. There were not as many people though but it is as close to the Frances as we have seen, just better over the last 100km. I am sure that you and your sister would love it. Bom Caminho!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018