Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Portuges Albergues Reservation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by galya, May 15, 2017.

1. galya

galya New Member

hello dearest,
    In few days we will start hiking on the Camino Portuges starting from Tui to Santiago:

1. I wonder if it is a good idea to book our albergues in advance (i prefer the privet ones). ןIf yes, how can I do so?

I will be happy to hear from u experienced people.

2. Also would like to know if along the Camino form Tui to Santiago it would be possible to find a privet room with privet toilet.

tanks for everyone and all the best,
    Galya

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Gayla - My wife and I just walked the Camino Portugués including Tui to Santiago last month. I'm sure you will enjoy it just as we did.

We were on this section the first week of April. I did make reservations at private albergues and small inns. Because it was so early in the hiking season, our reservations weren't necessary. However, that might be very different now with more pilgrims on the trail. If you go below to my Portugues blog, you'll find a post showing all of our accomodations (March 22). The only change to that schedule is that we decided to break-up the Tui to Redondela stage and spent a night in O Porriño at the Alojamiento Camino Portugués.

Making reservations was very easy. For many of them, we reserved a room/bed directly through Booking.com. Visit the website Gronze.com for a list and many links to the albergues and inns on this Camino. It will definitely help you with reservations. For others, we either contacted them through their website or emailed them requesting a reservation. It all worked out very well. On the Gronze website, you'll see which places offer private rooms and baths. We stayed in several private rooms w/bath as well as the more traditional dorm-style bed set-ups. Any of the places that I've listed we'd stay at again.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

Bom Caminho!

3. galya

galya New Member

Hi wily,
    You have helped me very much with you wide answer.
    I also looked into your Blog and learned a lot.
    Thank you for all your efforts to make it possible for me like me and surly for others.
    All the best,
    Galya

Wily likes this.
  4. galya

galya New Member

Dear wily,
    can you please specify regarding the alternative road from Tui to o pirrinio?
    i understand from what you wrote that this alternative road is now well signed.
    Thanks a lot,
    Galya

5. Wily

Hey Galya - About 3 km out of Tui, right on the trail, you'll come to a wall mural. Just past there is the left hand turn for the route through the woods. It's a little tricky because on the path itself are spray painted indicators to go straight. If you go straight at this point, you'll be walking along the highway snd through the industrial zone of O Porrino. So, at the crossroads, turn left onto the path even though it looks like you should go straight. Within a hundred yards of being on the path, you will then begin to see the regular Camino markers taking you along the river into O Porrino. The path will lead you directly to two albergues in town: the municipal and just across the street the private El Camino. This section through the woods and along the river are quite nice. Bom Caminho!

6. galya

galya New Member

Hello wily, you are our guide for our first Camino. thank you for that!
    last minute questions: what do we have to bring with us in order to get my Camino passport from Tui?
    Photo?
    How can i find out the openning hours of this office?
    thanks wily

Wily likes this.
  7. Wily

Hey Galya - In Tui, you can get your Credencial or passport at the cathedral. I believe it opens at 09:00. You don't need a photo or anything else. The cost is 2€. They will give you your first stamp and from there, you can get other stamps or sellos at albergues, cafe/bars, tourist offices, churches, etc. along The Way. You should plan on getting two or more stamps a day to show your journy from Tui to Santiago.

IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

8. Gazza

Gazza Member

Wily, what sort of KM's were you doing each day & where did you start. We have done Camino France & were looking at Portuguese route a few years ago but albergues were too far apart ie 30km. Are they closer now?

Wily likes this.
  9. Wily

Hey Gazza - We started in Porto and walked the 250 kms in 12 days. Our shortest day was 15 km while our longest was 29. Most of them were around 20 km. Even though we walked 29 km one day (Vila do Conde to Barcelos), had we wanted to stop earlier, we could have. Now, with the number of albergues on the CP, you can plan on 20 km days. Because of my wife's knee problem that developed, longer walking days would have been a real problem. That wasn't a problem since we slowed down a bit, shorted our daily distance, and used Tuitrans to move her backpack from albergue to albergue for a few days. Albergues seemed quite plentiful and regularly found. Bom Caminho!