1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camino Portuguese September 2019

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Greg Canning, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi All

I'm back looking for some good advice. My wife and I are considering walking the Camino Portuguese for around 9 days at the end of September . We will probably start in Porto (Ryanair fly direct from Dublin) and return from Santiago (on the 1st).

The plan so far is to fly into Porto on Friday the 20th and to start walking on Sunday 22 September. We would fly back on the 1st of October. So as I say this gives us 9 days actual walking. We like to walk at a reasonable pace (20 to 24 kms per day). Any suggestion as to how far we could expect to get? Ideally we would like to finish somewhere within striking distance of Santiago so that we could bus or taxi to Santiago on either the evening of the 30th or morning of the 1st.

Alternatively I've seen previous suggestions about skipping the first part out of Porto and then walking into Santiago.

Any advise gratefully received including suggestions as to coastal v central route and suggested accommodations (Wily I know you had a good list :) )

Thanks again and Buen Camino

Greg

Wily likes this.
  2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Hi Greg- you have cut yourself a pretty tight timeline here!
    If you forced me to decide, I would use the bus to skip ahead a bit to be able to make the final walk into Santiago, but it really comes down to six of one, half dozen of the other.
    I took 11 days to walk from Porto, starting along the coast first day then cutting in to meet the central day 2 (which was not a pretty walk or any fun due to the traffic and cobble stones).
    Accommodations were pretty much as Wily had outlined, which you can book on Booking.com, though we did hit a few more off the list places, but none that are recommendations.
    I guess I have nothing really cool to offer you other than have a fantastic Camino!
    Cheers

Wily, UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  3. Greg Canning

Hi CW and thank you for the advice.

We have decided to do just as you advise. We arrive in Porto on the evening of Friday 20 September. We will have a wander around Porto on Saturday 21st and then take a train to Barcelos on the Saturday Evening. We will start with the long walk to Ponte de Lima on Sunday the 22nd. This means we will get to walk into Santiago on Monday the 30th and fly home on 1 October.

The walk into Santiago has become much much more significant for me. My father, who had suffered from dementia for a long time, passed away last Wednesday. For many years we had discussed the Camino and I carried his rosary with me on all my walks. This time I will walk and collect the Compostella in my father's name. His name of course was James.

Buen Camino

Greg

BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Wily, danvo and 2 others like this.
  4. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Greg- sorry for your loss, I understand, going through some of the same with my Dad. I actually met a man in 2015 on CF I called my Camino Dad, who was a man that made an impression on me, I wrote about him under "the People you meet".
    God bless, and enjoy your walk and reflection time.

5. Greg Canning

Hi CW

I’m sorry to hear your father is ill. I will keep him in my prayers when we are on Camino.

Greg

Canadian Wander likes this.
  6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg, Walking from Barcelos to Santiago sounds like a great plan! Although we took 12 days from Porto, we also had a number of relatively short 15 km days. Your daily distances and time frame sounds like a plan. I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I did.

We, too, are heading back to Spain. We arrive in SJPP on October 4 and have about two weeks to enjoy a fall hike that will give us enough time to make it to Burgos. I’m very excited to share the CF with Nancy this year. We’ll most likely finish it up in the spring. And, based on your suggestion, we’ll be making a stop at the church in Zabaldika. Making a few changes from my first trek. We’ll take the Valcarlos route across the Pyrenees. Move on past Roncesvalles to Burguete so as to stay at the hostel where Hemingway stayed when he came to Navarra to fish. Take my own advice and do a rest day in Pamplona. Although we’ll be staying in many of the same towns along this section of The Way, we’re trying some different hostels. So, looking forward to being in Spain in the fall.

Very sorry to hear about your father. I lost my father from the very same terrible disease some seven years ago. Your father will definitely be with you as you walk to Santiago this time. Take care my friend. Bom Caminho!

7. Greg Canning

Hi Wily

Thank you for your kind message. It really is a horrible disease so although for us it is a sad time it was a blessed release for my dad. I have carried his rosary with me on all my Caminos so far and had them blessed in Rabanal.

Delighted to hear you will be back on Camino soon. Pity we will have just left Santiago on 1 October. A couple of small recommendations for you - We stayed in a lovely little hotel in Puente La Reina. Its called El Cerco. Very nice, lovely people and great breakfast.

In Estella we treated ourselves to the Hospederia Chapitel. Again a nice little hotel.

Finally we stopped for lunch in Hontanas at the Hostel Fuentestrella. Manuel, the owner, met his wife Svetlana on the Camino. They are warm and welcoming.

Hope you have a fantastic Camino

Greg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg, Thank you for the recommendations. I will definitely research the hotels in Puente la Reina and Estella. As Bob and many of you know, making reservations on Booking.com makes it easy to do changes as long as they offer “free cancellations.” As Nancy has dealt with a leg problem this past year, we’re also going to be following in Bob’s footsteps by shipping our packs daily. Having walked three Caminos with packs, even fairly light weight ones, I look forward to only sporting a light day pack for essentials and water. We really are looking forward to walking at a very different time of year. Hopefully, we’ll be able to enjoy some of the fruits of the wine harvest. Bom Caminho!

9. Greg Canning

Wily

I like the idea of the day bag. My knees, right one in particular, are beginning to complain too much.

Late September/ early October is one of my favorite times for the Camino. The autumn colors, the slightly cooler days make for a little easier walking. As for the fruits of the wine harvest, one of the great pleasures we had last October walking through Galicia was discovering Mencia wine (whisper it....I think it’s probably better than Rioja!!!).

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily, UnkleHammy and Canadian Wander like this.
  10. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member Donating Member

Impressed by your thinking here, Wily. I can appreciate the desire to make it easier so you can enjoy the Walk in a different way. Enjoy !

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.