Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Primitivo In Early Spring?

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by Dominique, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dominique

Dominique Member

Hi all! I was thinking of walking the Camino Primitivo end of March/beg. of April. Has anyone done it at that time of the year?
    Thanks.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Dominique

I walked my Camino Primitivo in early September and even then, the weather was less than Ideal and we had quite a rough crossing of The Puerto del Palo (1140m) with driving rain and cold conditions, the little stone hits on the top of the pass had quite a few pilgrims sheltering in them (Pic below) - But other than that, the weather was quite kind to us.

Difficult to say what the weather will be like at the end of March/beg. of April. – But IF it were me, I think I would leave it until as late as possible in the Spring

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4199273-Day_6_Pola_de_Allende_to_La_Messa_u2013_20k-Asturias.jpg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Dominique

Dominique Member

Thank you so much for your quick answer, Rob.
    It is very much what I , in a way, expected to hear but didn't want to hear, if that makes any sense :)
    Awsome pic btw!
    I'll wait till very close to the date to book any flights and watch the weather forecasts. It's just that I have a 2 week break just before Easter and I'm desperate to walk another Camino, preferably the Primitivo. I guess it'll have to wait ;-)
    Thank you!

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like a good plan to me Dominique – Then if the weather doesn’t look up to much, you can drop onto a Camino that doesn’t have so many high passes / mountains to cross ;-)

There are several Camino’s that you can walk in your two week timeframe including The Camino Portuguese, The Tunnel Route, The Camí de Sant Jaume 1 and 2 as well as sections of many of the longer Caminos

Good Luck and Buen Camino whichever one that you happen to walk

Best Regards

Rob

5. Dominique

Dominique Member

Hi Rob and thanks for answering.
    The Portuguese doesn't appeal so much as I greatly enjoy walking in Spain but never say never... I may look into that....
    I'll definitely look into the others, plenty of ideas there, thank you again :)
    Buen Camino to you too.
    Dominique

6. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hi Dominique, I walked the Camino Primitivo in June 2015 from Oviedo to SdC, and continued on to Finisterre.
    It was a beautiful camino and I loved it so much I'm seriously considering doing it again. I too experienced all kinds of weather - from heavy downpours to glorious sunshine. So as Rob mentions above, the weather conditions could be more "challenging" in early spring. You would also need to bear in mind that the Camino Primitivo has some longer and lonelier stages that the Frances, you're walking through open countryside, woods, country lanes, several steep climbs up and then down again. At the end of the day, it's your own decision, but personally I would also wait til a bit later in spring, or early summer. Just to give you an idea of the terrain I'm attaching some pictures.

Attached Files:

Dominique, RJS, Wily and 1 other person like this.
  7. Prosper

Prosper New Member

8. Prosper

Prosper New Member

I must apologize for entering this thread, because I can''t reply to the writer. However, I have been looking for a way to Compestelo by way of perhaps Lisbon to Fatima and rejoin the Camino from Fatima. Perhaps there is another way wher in I can receive my stamps along the way

9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Prosper and welcome to the forum

With your question, you would get a better response if you posted a new question as you have posted this question on a thread that is entirely about a different Camino

Also – I aren’t sure what you mean when you say “Perhaps there is another way where in I can receive my stamps along the way” – I think you mane are Cellos available off the main routes and, IF I am correct in my thinking, then yes, most hotels / restaurants have official stamps and these can be used in your Credentials to confirm your progress.

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  10. Dominique

Dominique Member

Thank you Lucymi. What beautiful pictures!

11. Keith Camino

Keith Camino New Member

Hi Dominique,
    I'm on the same plan! I fly in to Madrid late on 31 March and was going to catch an overnight bus to Oviedo, then get started right away. A few days ago there was a bit of snow on the route, and the overnight temps are near freezing. I've got the gear for it, but still, there could be a warmer way, such as the Northern route which doesn't get as high. Have you decided what you will do?
    Cheers,
    Keith

UnkleHammy likes this.
  12. Prosper

Prosper New Member