Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Primitivo Luggage Transfer

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by christiankenneth, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I'm from Australia and planning on doing the Camino Primitivo from Ovideo to Santiago (my first Camino) in August 2015. I am travelling before and after the trail and as such need to transfer my luggage ahead of my to collect. All the ones I've looked at only transfer around 25km at a time, but I was wondering if there was anyway of putting it further than that because I don't want to have to keep transferring it after every stage.

The only option I've come up with is either going to Santiago or Madrid first and leaving my main bags there for collection, but I'd rather not as I'll be going both these places after the Camino.

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Christian

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like a difficult problem and one that I can’t think of a straight forwards solution to.
    Are you flying into and out of the same Spanish airport – If so then it might be possible to leave your excess luggage at this airport?
    I haven’t used the luggage transfer services that are now available to Peregrino’s on Caminos, but the ones that I have seen just take bags from one stage to the next – The main operator for the Camino Primitivo seems to be http://www.taxicamino.com/ - It might be worth dropping them a line to see if they could shuttle your extra bag up to Santiago de Compostela
    Other than that, you might be able to leave your extra bag at Oviedo and then after you have finished your Camino, take a bus from Santiago de Compostela up to Ferrol and from there, the wonderful FEVE narrow gauge train back to Oviedo, pick up your bag and continue on your travels – I took this train ride a view years ago and it has to be said, it’s a wonderful little trip.

Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  4. robermarbe

robermarbe New Member

The best solution is to send it by post from Oviedo to Santiago. You will pick it up when you get there.

5. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

I did put a thread on sending excess luggage ahead to Ivar.....in Santiago
    I will find it and add some prices for size of parcels

Christiankenneth already knows this he contacted me to say he will be doing like wise

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    It's easy to mail your excess luggage from your starting point to Santiago. From a post office, to the post office in Santiago, or to Ivar Revke, also in Santiago. The post office has special boxes in various sizes for this purpose. It's efficient and secure, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! The post office in Oviedo is not far from the Cathedral. In Santiago, it's in walking distance of the Pilgrims' Office.
    If Santiago is too far away, you could mail the box to Lugo. I wouldn't risk any other small places along the route, except perhaps taxi service, which then becomes an expensive exercise!
    Your main problem will be to define which items you may not need on the Primitivo until the destination of your package.:)

7. Camino-David

Camino-David New Member

I understand the post offices only keep parcels for max 14 days. They then return them to the address from where they were sent. Is this still correct.

8. muggie

muggie New Member

following...

9. KateFD

KateFD New Member

10. KateFD

KateFD New Member

Hello Christian,
    I'm also planning to walk the Primitivo this summer, starting in late July. Looking for information on this route!