Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Primitivo Oct 2014, a photographic tour

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by KatDavis, Nov 16, 2014.

1. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:
    Hi,

I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela in October (2014), and it was an absolutely stunning walk with spectacular scenery. Challenging mountains, hills, lush green forests, quaint stone hamlets, the delicacies of Asturias and Galicia, the sound of the cow bells... I can't recommend this camino enough!!

I made a video of some of the photos I took along the way because the beauty of this trail needs to be shared :)

http://youtu.be/KTQNfeYt-OU

If anyone has any questions or is thinking of doing this walk, please don't hesitate to ask away. I also wrote a daily blog: www.followingthearrows.com

I've walked 4 camino's and would happily walk this one again!

Buen Camino,

Kat

Lizzyb15 and highlander like this.
  2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Kat,
    I agree with you. It is the best Camino route I have walked. I walked it in September 2013 and had a fantastic time. Would do it again in the morning.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. skipper

skipper New Member

I walked the camino last June and want to walk the primitivo this year. I am a little concerned about the distances between stops. Is the small places to stay along the path in smaller areas, or is the bigger stops the only choices. I have trouble with 24 to 30 ks a day. I did well going to O'ceberio but understand this route is more strenuous .. Can you or anyone share firsthand advice.

4. skipper

skipper New Member

Is there a list of albergues or hotels available on the primitivo? I want to walk this route this (2015) summer.. I would like to do it self guided but an worried about distances between stops.. Need advice....

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The Camino Primitivo is also among my Most Favourite Camino’s
    In the main there are choices of where to stay, so long days aren’t usually necessary, there might still be one or two quite long days, but as time goes on, accommodation choices become greater.
    Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

6. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:
    Hi skipper,

The best resource I found for the Primitivo was put together by a lady called Liz and uploaded onto Ivar's Camino forum. Liz keeps updating it with advice from people who have recently walked it so it's very up-to-date. I used this guide in conjunction with the Cicerone guide. This is the link:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...tiago-and-then-to-muxia-finisterre-guide.225/

Im pretty sure all the accommodation options are included so it will help you to plan based on how far you want to walk each day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kat

7. Mollycol

Mollycol New Member

Hi Kat, I have just viewed your photo-essay on youtube. It was wonderful! I was on the Camino Frances at same time as you were walking the Primitivo so the 'mood' and lighting are similar to my own images. I want to congratulate you on your editing and music compilation - you really capture something special.
    This was my first ever Camino and I think I have 'caught the bug'. Next year I will be thinking Primitivo for sure.

Regards,
    Mollycol

8. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Mollycol, I'm really glad you liked it :) ... You'll love the Primitivo!

Kat

9. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hello Kat, thank you very much for sharing your blog about the Camino Primitivo with us. I've really enjoyed reading it, so full of useful information.
    And I do admit I've lurked around some of your other walks - really enjoyable reading.
    Now I'm trying to make up my mind whether to walk the Primitivo next year or the Ulster Way / Appalachian Trail in Norther Ireland.
    I've been searching for blogs about these walks, but haven't found one. Any chance you'll be heading to Northern Ireland in the near future?? Cheers. Lucy

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. KatDavis

KatDavis Member

Home Page:
    Hi Lucy,

Thanks so much for telling me about these two trails!

I love the idea of the International Appalachian Trail, and after seeing your comment I've been looking at the details online... it looks stunning! I think it's too late in the year now to consider, but it would be a lovely summertime walk (complete with wet weather gear and waterproof shoes!)

I found a website detailing the Ulster Way, with a link to a blog of someone who has walked it:
    http://www.outdoorni.com/blog/2014/05/28/contemplating-walking-the-ulster-way/

I'll add both of them to my list, but I'm really hoping to walk the PCT next year (Mexico to Canada), so it might be some time before I get over to Ireland... keep us updated if you walk them first!

On a sidenote, I haven't walked in Ireland, but I have walked in England, and it's quite pricey unless you plan to take a tent and camp. This might be a factor in deciding between the Primitivo (albergues all along the way costing between 5-12 euros per night) or walking in Ireland? ...

Kat