1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Campervan Be Driven On The Camino Francis Route?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Arthur, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Arthur

Arthur New Member

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in the spring time and my wife , who isn’t up to walking long distances would like to drive our camper van along the route and meet up with me at the end of each days walk. Does anyone know of any reason this arrangement wouldn’t work with the regard to roads being suitable/overnight parking etc etc. Would appreciate any feed back that might helpful. Thanks in anticipation.

Wily likes this.
  2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Some of the Camino is along side motorways and all places to spend the night are easily accessible to cars. In fact the stops are usually accessible to trucks and busses. The Camino is a civilized way to criss Spain, it is not the PCT, nor the AT, in a different country.

Your wife should have no problems.

Wily and RJS like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t see you having major problems – In fact I did something similar for the UK section of my Big Camino (From my home in Cumbria to Santiago de Compostela) where I had a support vehicle and driver who met me every night.

What you will probably have to do is each have a mobile phone so that you can keep in touch, then every morning have a loose plan of where you would like to walk to, then your wife can set off and find a suitable overnight park and contact you to give you details of where, exactly, she will be. Then if she wishes, she can backtrack to enable you to meet up for lunch.

You might find the little guidebooks produced by The Confraternity of Saint James (UK) very useful as these list campsites https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Arthur, there may be two related aspects to your question. So you prefer to walk, and your wife does not, so can she drive a vehicle to meet you at your destination each afternoon so you can enjoy the town, spend the night together? That answer is clearly yes. For most of the 800 kms, there is a road only several meters from the camino senda. So not only could you meet your wife at your destination, you can also rendezvous along the way - meeting for lunch as well. The more complicated question might be, "if we want to camp out in a campervan every night along the camino frances, that might be more complicated. There are camper parks along the camino, but I don't recall many of them. I did see a few pilgrims camping in tents along the way ... not always in a camper park. Sometimes they just pitched a tent a few meters off the trail, possibly without seeking any permission. If your goal is to meet your wife at your destination and spend every night in a campervan, this will require lots of advance planning. Perhaps the website Rob has shared will be helpful to you. Be sure to also check out Gronze.com for camino planning. Bob

RJS, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Arthur - As Bob and Unklehammy indicated, there shouldn't be any problem with your wife meeting up with you in the camper van at the end of each walking day. And, as Bob indicated, she could easily meet you for lunch at a predetermined spot along the Camino (actually sounds like a lot of fun for the two of you). If you have a copy of Brierley’s guide to the Camino, you’ll clearly see the roads/highways along each stage and their relation to the Camino path. Parking in the small towns and villages shouldn’t be a problem. Just like anywhere, parking and navigating your van around the cities will be a bit more problematic. Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Santiago are all large urban centers. As a number of tour companies do exactly what you want to do, it should work out fine for you and your wife. Planning will be important particularly with regard to overnight camping. I, too, like Bob, would recommend checking out accommodations on Gronze.com. If I remember correctly, camping sites are listed along with albergues and hotels. Good luck and Buen Camino.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

Hi Arthur. I have walked CF twice And also have a camper van. I have similar ideas ,I would like to travel along the way in the van with my wife and spend longer then an afternoon/evening in and around some of the villages/towns and a few days in the cities along the way. We would get plenty of walking each day, I know from city weekend visits we walk between 12 and 20 km per day. I would like to start in Santander follow the Camino north to Santiago and return the CF to SJPP continuing to Biarritz's and back along the coast to Santander.
    No consider your idea, there is no problem with you doing what you suggest as long as you are prepared to wild camp a lot of the time. You or your wife will have to go to a campsite or an Aire to service the van every 3days or so. Think about the following . while you walk say 25km per day meeting new friends. Your wife will have to pack up the van and drive for aprox 15/30min to get to where you will finish. And then see up again. She will Probably have 5/6hours on her own hanging around for you each day,if she goes site seeing she will not want to go over it again with you. You will not have the benefit of a Camino family as I don't think you will move off each day until later because you do not have to.( which can be a bonus ).Unless you are married to a Saint I think it'll do her head in before the first weekend.

danvo, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.