Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Can We Do It!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Martin (Ozzy) Osborne, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne New Member

My wife and I are planning our Camino in late may of 2018. We are avid hikers, Grand Canyon rim to rim 4 days 3 nights in June 2 years ago. A lot o high elevation gain hikes but only day hikes. The most in 1 day 15 miles with 2500 elev gain. Back to back 12 miles 2 days in a row. She is 15 to 17 minute miles and I do 18 to 20 min mile. We are wondering if we will be able to do those miles everyday. I know and her for sure that we need to slow down. Think we can do it? Tell me what you think. By the way I am 64 and she 63 and I plan to finish at the Fenestra on my Birthday June 30th.

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Oz - Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you're already in shape to take on the Camino and more! If you've done the rim to rim of the GC, you'll find that there is nothing that difficult on the CF. As avid hikers, you already know many of the secrets of trekking - good shoes and socks and to carry a light load.

Pace is an individual thing. Most pilgrims follow the Brierkey guide walking 12-15 miles a day. When I walked the CF last year, and by the way I, too, was 64, I'd get up early so as to leave as the sun was coming up which was around 06:30 in May, and finish by early afternoon. Walking the Camino as I did in 31 days was a bit quick and I would definitely take more time the second time around. What I would recommend regarding the day after day after day walking is to build in some rest days so as to recharge. There are wonderful cities along The Way like Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon to enjoy a little down time. And, of course, take some time in Santiago before heading off to Finisterre.

So, plan your trip so as to be able to go at a comfortable pace. Continue to hike and train, but it sounds like you're already in great shape. I can't think of anything better than spending your 65th birthday at the End of the World. Buen Camino!

3. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Sounds to me like you can! :D Go for it and have a great Camino.

4. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Thanks for the encouragement you all. I must mention that I had a couple of transient strokes in 2016 and am getting back to hiking shape now after having a Stent put in. But enough about me, BECAUSE, WE ARE DOING IT! I will be in perfect shape by that time. Thanks guys and gals!

5. Wily

Hey Oz - It is said that the pilgrim faces three challenges along The Way: the physical, the psychological, and the spiritual. It seems to me that you have both the attitude and determination to make your journey along the Camino a very successful one. Enjoy your preparations ! The anticipation of walking and getting ready for it make the actual pilgrimage to Santiago even more worthwhile. Buen Camino!

6. Ann Bauer

Ann Bauer New Member

I am 63 and now passed Burgos and on the Meseta. Do the Camino in your own time and enjoy every moment. I came on my own but am never lonely. I spend time with people much older and much younger. I will get to Finisterra and am using the Brierley guide. I don't always do his full day and there's no reason to, it is a guide but very very useful. It is a wonderful experience.

7. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

Started training today after not hiking for the past 4 and a half months. Boy do i have a long way to go. Plus with my work and not being able to hike with the exception of between jobs. When i wotk we do 12 to 13 hour days 6 days a week. Hard to get out and workout after that. But that is only a couple of monts in Spring and Fall. So we went out here in Arizona to start our 1st day of trainig hikes and staryed at 0530 to beat the heat and sun. Summer time here is pretty hot. Only went 2.69 miles and wore out. That is what i mean by a long ways to go. Only 203 foot elevation gain and felt like more. 22 minute miles. I want to add a couple of pictures but do not know how. Have a great day to everyone doing their Camino and going to start their Camino. See you all i hope on the Camino in late May.

8. Wily

Hey Oz -You've started and that's what's most important. Don't worry about the timeframe! You have plenty of months in front of you to get into the condition you're looking for. One step at a time and before you know it, you'll be leaving SJPP with your first steps on the Camino.

Posting a photo is easy. Use the "Upload a File" link at the bottom of your post. From there, it will give you the option of using a photo from your photo library. Upload it and then choose either the full photo format or a thumbnail. Looking forward to see what you post. Buen Camino!

James Orrock likes this.
  9. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Ozzy, I am in Arizona as well. You still have plenty of time to train for the Camino by May. Once this 'OVEN' cools down you will have more daylight hours to hike also. I was going to go for a hike this morning at 5:00am, and even the birds wouldn't come out to eat after filling their feeders! Ha....decided to head to the pool, and then use my dumb bells. Hang in there!

10. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

You should message me and my wife and i could meet up with you and introduce ourselves and go for a hike. 20170715_053222.jpg

James Orrock, Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hey, is this picture of your wife at Thunderbird Park? That is where I usually go!!

12. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

At Estrella. Closer to our house. But we have hiked Thunderbird, Gateway, Bell Pass Lost Dog Wash, Sunrise Mountain. Etc. Hopefully we could get together and hike. When are you doing the Camino. We are leaving 5th of August for some work in MI and will not be back until 1st week of December. So hopefully we could meet you prior to us leaving.

hindsfeet likes this.
  13. Tom V

Tom V Member

Oz,

Based on what you said, I'm confident you and your wife will be fine. I did it at age 66 and will be doing it again this Sept./Oct. at 68. You can see my notes at tomswalk.com. Blisters are the leading cause of people not finishing so choose your shoes and socks wisely and learn all you can about blister prevention and treatment. I highly recommend Compeed to help prevent blisters. Apply it as soon as you feel anything that may turn into a "hot" spot. Prevention is key. I walked 500 miles and over a million steps with no blisters!

Buen Camino!

14. Martin (Ozzy) Osborne

For sure on hotspots. Stop them before they stop you. Thanks for the encourgement.