1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you rent a horse to ride the camino?

Discussion in 'The Camino by Horse' started by Tigerrmc2014, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Tigerrmc2014

Tigerrmc2014 New Member

Anyone know if there is an outfitter that takes someone the whole Camino route by horseback? If so, how much?

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Tiger,
    I have come upon a few groups of riders on the Camino Frances. They were all French and had a second string of horses waiting for them on the outskirts of Burgos. They simply dismounted, changed saddles and were away again before you could say Jack Robinson. I would think it would be a very expensive way to travel the full Camino, as the horses were not your typical pack horses. They looked like 3/4 thoroughbred and light on their feet. Do not know how they would operate in mountain terrain. I would think some of the French Camino sites may have info on hire of horses, or Camino packages on offer. Hope you find someone that can assist you. If not, you could try buying a pair of Irish hobnail boots and walking. Nearest thing to horse sounds I can think of.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

You should read the book 'Horseshoes and Holy Water' (available on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horseshoes-Holy-Water-Canterbury-Compostela/dp/0753510383). I was interested to come across this book when originally researching the camino Frances, as I have a horse and the idea of riding the camino seemed very romantic.

The reality is very different, very hard work for all involved. It is enough effort worrying about yourself let alone the well being of a horse over such an extended period. Having now walked the CF I would certainly not want to cope with logistical nightmare of stabling and finding feed every day and with sourcing a farrier or vet when necessary. However, if there are organised tours with experience of the camino who take all responsibility, I guess it could be a great experience, but most likely at huge coat. I recommend you read the above book for an insight into what is involved.

4. Dutch

Dutch Member

About 10-15km from o'cebreiro i saw signs "on horse to o cebreiro? call....". This was a local farmer I guess who would guide small groups of people on horses to O'Cebreiro. It was about euro 25 pp.
    I thought about it, but for some reason i just kept on walking. Halfway up to o cebreiro i saw the guide coming down the trail on his horse, with 3 other horses.

That was the only time i ever saw anything (advertised) with horses.

5. Elizabeth2014

Elizabeth2014 Member

Anyone thinking about riding a horse should read Tim Moore's Travels with My Ass: One Man and His Donkey on the Camino de Santiago. Hugely entertaining read but also cautionary about taking an animal along be it a horse, a donkey or a dog.