1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry on rucksacks that comply with Ryan Air and Easy Jet hand luggage restrictions?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Image, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Image

Image New Member

Hello everyone :) Could anyone suggest possible carry on rucksacks that comply with these restrictions?

2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I use an Opsrey Atmos 35 litre and it fitted in the Ryanair measuring cage. This was on my return flight from Santiago. However I posted my walking poles home because I was not confident that they would allow them as carry on. There is a major post office in Santiago with very helpful staff.

3. Image

Image New Member

That looks like a really good pack. Do you know if anyone uses just a day pack? something like a Osprey Stratos 24?

4. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

My daughter carried a small daypack, an osprey that was part of a larger set up and zipped onto a larger pack for other expeditions. I think the capacity of her small pack was 20 litres. She had to carry a couple of dry bags hanging from her waist belt which were always bouncing off her backside. She was insistent on using what she already had, although I offered to buy her a more suitable one. I would most definitely not recommend something so small. She is an experienced traveller and packs very light but even so it was totally inadequate - and of course good old mum ended up carrying a few bits and pieces for her. Maybe that's why she asked me to join her!

5. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Image,
    I think Magwood has it right at 35 ltrs. I have used one for the past few years without problems, even out of Santander!!!!!!! Ryanair seem to pick the right staff to manhandle the airports with no other option of getting home, unless you want to circumnavigate the globe. Santander has to be the best moneymaker they have. There is a 'very nice Spanish lady' (note lower case-even though tomorrow is Valentine's Day) who checks every bag in the line with her personal Michael O'Leary measureupper. I have seen her make students and grown ups cry in harmony, as they are asked to pay the fee and put their bag in the hold. Stay safe and go 35. When anything over 35 is mentioned, I feel old.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin