1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrying Persciptions

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by cruiser9608, Sep 18, 2016.

1. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 New Member

when carrying perscriptions do I need to bring some kind of paperwork to prove they are Doctor prescribed medicines?

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Cruiser, I'm not sure what the regulations are in Spain, but I take meds for hypertension and chloresterol. I had my physician prepare a one page memo (in English) saying that I am his patient, what conditions he is treating me for and the prescriptions he has approved. Including transit time to/from the camino, we were gone for six weeks. I brought seven weeks of meds with me, protected by a plastic bag, then inserted in a plastic bottle. No one searched my gear nor asked for documentation for my meds. Had that happened, I felt I had necessary documentation. By the way, my wife and I both developed some swelling in our ankles/knees so used up our 200 mg ibuprofen within two weeks. We went to a Spanish pharmacy and bought 600 mg tablets for a very low price.

Maurice Marr likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

HI
    I assumed that the rules in Europe are similar to those here in the USA, so I carried mine in either the original containers with the original prescription information on the container. Or I removed the contents and peeled the label off. I then put the label on a Zip Lock bag with the prescription inside. I used the bag, when I could, to save weight. I also took pictures of all the originals with my cell phone so that I could get more if I needed them.

4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Cruiser - Here is a website that addresses your questions:

https://www.iamat.org/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-travelling-with-medications/

I think you'll find traveling with medications pretty straight forward and not a problem that you'll likely encounter in Spain. Traveling with prescription narcotics/psychotropic drugs may be a bit touchier, as it is in the States, and requires better documentation for all the right reasons.

In addition to all the other services offered by Spanish pharmacies, you'll also find them your best source for foot, knee, or leg care. Along the Camino, the pharmacists are quite experienced in dealing with problems pilgrims might have.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@Wily has a better reply than I had. In addition information on multiple medical problems are available from that Web site.

6. anniem

anniem Active Member

I had a one pager from the home Doctor and never had to show it to anyone. I packed all the medication in a stash in the bottom of my pack and then filled the daily container (Mon to Sun) once a week so I wasn't hauling out the stash daily. Worked well. Buen Camino