1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cathedral Closed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by keithlundy1, Jul 29, 2019.

1. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

can anyone shed any light on this. I’m five days out from Santiago and there are lots of rumours saying the cathedral is completely closed. If there is anyone out there who has just passed through or knows what the truth is there are lots of pilgrims would really appreciate what the truth is.
    Many thanks

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Hi Keith- just checked the official website for the cathedral, and there seems to be no indication I see, hours are normal, open year round. They are undergoing renovations, and alterations are in place, such as mass celebrated in church of S. Francisco.
    Strange.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Tough news for us peregrinos planning on making it to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela this year.

It's just been announced that beginning 28 January 2019 and continuing for 12 months the Cathedral will be undergoing major interior renovations. The daily Pilgrims Mass will be offered at the Church of S. Francisco.

Peregrinos will still be able to enter the Cathedral from 0900 to 1900 and also be able to embrace the Apostle and even enter the crypt. Masses in different languages will be offered in different churches in the city.

The announcement can be read here translated into English.

Despite this, I'm still greatly looking forward to walking the Camino Primitivo in July, arriving in time for the Feast of St. James. Hope to see you all on the Way.

Buen Camino,

Fr. Lance W.

aka Bearded Peregrino

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. keithlundy1

Hi pilgrims
    Well I’ve made it, came into Santiago yesterday after a long 32 days but it was worth it even after walking it twice before.
    Here is the official position on the cathedral.
    The service is cancelled, masses are being said across various chapels in different languages for those wishing to attend.taken
    You can still visit inside the cathedral but everything is covered in dust sheets and the alter is obscured by scaffolding but you can still get to see the coffin of st James but the awe of the cathedral is still there.
    You can visit the portal still on a guided tour which I found interesting some may not.
    The rest of Santiago is the same.
    There is one good thing all the scaffolding has been taken down from the front of the cathedral and you can see how good the restoration has left it, you can now see the cathedral in all it’s beauty and splendour, worth every step of the Camino.
    For all you pilgrims who may have yet to decide whether to walk or not, walk it guys the journey will change your lives believe me you won’t be disappointed.
    I have five hours left here in Santiago just enjoying the last sun before heading off to the airport, so I will bid you farewell, oh by the way book the Last Stamp Albergue in Santiago well in advance besides being a thoroughly clean Albergue with great facilities it’s 3-4 mins walk to the cathedral.
    I will be posting the names of great Albergues used along the way when I get back.
    So farewell for now until the next time.
    Buen Camino Keith (Norfolk England)

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  5. Mo Mittelstaedt

Mo Mittelstaedt New Member

I finished end of June and yes, it is under renovation with no Mass but mass in other parts of the city. You can still walk through and see the Crypt. Yes, it is to bad for all of us but Mass in other areas is nice also.

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Congrats, Keith on your "three-peat". My wife and I hope to join the club at the end of October. Safe travels home.

Bob

7. keithlundy1

Thanks bob it definitely feels harder as you get older haha