1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caution: Think Twice About Checking Your Backpack

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Rob - As you may well know the days of food being served on domestic flights here in the State are long gone! One is now lucky to get a complementary bag of peanuts! I continue to enjoy the food and drinks on the internationsl flights, but the writing may be on the wall regarding all extra services.

Because my wife doesn't travel as much as I do, I've gone ahead and selected seats on our flights so we can sit together. As annoying as it is to pay extra for seat selection, her enjoyment of the flights outways the extra charges. But, as you said in an earlier post, there shouldn't be any issues with our packs.

On a slightly different note, I'll mention to our fellow Forum members that Santiago lodging is slready filling up for Easter. We'll be walking the Inglés during Holy Week which, although I not a Catholic, I'm really looking forward to. We arrive in Santiago on Holy Saturday and will spend Easter there, which also happens to be my wife's birthday this year, before heading off to Finisterre and Muxía. I only mention this here because if anyone else is thinking about being in Santiago on Easter, it would be best to reserve beds/rooms now. Buen Camino!

BenL likes this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Agreed Rob and imagine the situation if you were seated away from your children! I understand the need to drive down costs and raise income but surely at some point safety has to come into it.

As for the Ryanair idea to essentially charge people to carry on large bags, having had time to think it over I'm not sure it's such a bad idea. More and more I've seen people trying to lug enormous duffle bags on as hand-luggage and the delay and discomfort that causes for other passengers and as you said if it's carried to the plane/boarding gate (and in Ryanair's case it's the steps of the plane) then you can be pretty sure your bag is going to make it to your destination.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    RJS likes this.
  3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Wily, with some notable exceptions, the days of being served edible food in economy class on long hauls are but a distant memory too :)

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  4. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Hello all... I have been reading some older posts, and thought I would weigh in for my little adventure when we did Portugal in Sept. So 2018.
    I planned on checking my pack, and we carry on my wife's much as we did in 2015 when we did CF. this time I had a simple light bag I carried my sleeping bag, t shirt, socks and shave kit (less the razor) as carry on, and we put both sets of hiking poles in my checked pack.
    We had to fly from Western Canada(Alberta) to Montreal, Montreal to Amsterdam, then Ansterdam to Porto. Despite being fairly warned by intrepid Wily, I went with this plan.

So, naturally, we are left in Porto at the empty luggage belt. Long story short- it took many calls, several lovely Potuguese ladies, and 5 days to be reunited. In that time, I carried all our gear in my wife's pack (that would have been a sight!), but honestly, because we started in hiking boots, conversion pants and t shirt...I really wasn't out anything. Yes it was nice to get our poles, and my after hiking walk about shoes, it really wasn't an issue. It reminds you how little you actually need.
    However, I am on the watch for a nice Ospry 36 l...as one ignores the Wily at your peril!

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. anniem

anniem Active Member

I walked Camino Portuguese Sept 2018
    I also walked Camino Portuguese in Sept 18 and also caught flight from Amsterdam to Porto! Perhaps I saw you? I have a Osprey 3

Canadian Wander likes this.
  6. anniem

anniem Active Member

Canadian Wander likes this.
  7. anniem

anniem Active Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  8. Wily

Hey CW - The trials and tribulations of travel! But, even with certain inconveniences and annoyances, I’d hate to give up the life of a semi-nomad!

Even as I travel here in the States, my most frequent traveling companion is my Osprey 36. I can’t remember when I last used a suitcase. Although I don’t find the design of the new model nearly as convenient as my older Osprey (it has both the front and top loading options instead of just the top), it’s still the perfect size to be allowed in the cabin. There’s a certain comfort knowing that all your gear is just a few feet above you on the plane. You and I and so many others have experienced the angst of, as you so picturesquely described, standing by an empty luggage belt knowing that our bag hadn’t made the flight. You did fine heading north out of Porto until your pack caught up with you, but it wasn’t quite how you had planned starting out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, our pole bag didn’t arrive in Santiago with us last spring. Fortunately, a lovely lady in baggage took care of us by showing us to her abandoned pole locker allowing us to continue our journey on that same day up to Ferrol, with poles, and ready to start hiking in the morning. Certainly, a bit of Camino good luck! When given the option, and I know that with certain of the discount airlines this isn’t possible, I keep my pack with me. Our pole bag did finally find its way home three weeks later by the most circuitous route! Buen Camino!

9. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Onmy most recent trip I had my pack with me in the cabin, but checked my poles. In Biarritz the poles didn't show up. The lady at the airport was very helpful, but I didn't see them until I got back to California (and they were broken). Fortunately replacements were easy to find in Saint Jean. I had two nights planned for Saint Jean as a "just in case" so it all worked out OK with a nice a nice relaxing day wandering around Saint Jean.

10. Wily

Hey Unklehammy - Excellent advice about planning that “just in case” day prior to your first day hiking. For a number of good reasons, one might want to consider building in that extra day before starting the Camino. I have tended to start right off which can leave one in a bit of a bind as is the case when gear doesn't arrive as expected. Or, if you arrive in Paris, as an example, with plans on catching an afternoon train south, what do you do when either your pack or poles don’t come off the plane? From a number of starting points, picking up a pair of poles, as you indicated about SJPP, is pretty straightforward since one can find a number of good outfitters. On my next Camino, I might very well leave my poles at home and pick up a new pair upon arrival in France or Spain and avoid that moment in baggage claim when the carrosel stops and there’s no pole bag in sight. Argh! Buen Camino!

11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

If I can ever get back I plan on buying poles in Saint Jean. It works out OK, I didn't expect it to be so easy.

12. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

I'm sorry for the chuckle CW, when I read "naturally we are left in Porto at the empty luggage belt" after defiantly following YOUR plan!! :D I know, it's not funny....It was the way you wrote it. And I know that thoughts of Wily and his prudent advice was swirling around your head at that moment. You guys seem to always make the best of every situation though, and possess a wonderful pilgrim spirit! :D

13. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Well, if everything went according to plan... My life in the military would have been less chaotic!
    The funny part was I really did think of what Wily had said. Funnier still probably watching me from behind wearing my wife's shorter pack for the 5 days it took to be reunited.
    Live and learn. The wine helped calm my sad spirit!