1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarendon Way

Discussion in 'Camino Ingles' started by Wessex Crusader, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Wessex Crusader

Wessex Crusader New Member

If I were to complete the Clarendon Way before I start my camino, could this be added into the total kms after completing the camino ingles from A Coruna?

Any ideas on how I could get accreditation for this?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When I walked my “Big Camino” from my home in Cumbria to Santiago de Compostela, I recorded all the miles I walked on a home-made set of Credentials, my route in the UK ended in Plymouth where I took the ferry to Santander, and there I picked up proper Credentials from the Cathedral and continued my walk to Santiago de Compostela along The Camino Norte.

When I arrived in Santiago de Compostela, I attached my home-made set of Credentials from the UK to the ones I obtained from the Cathedral in Santander and, on the extra Compostela that you can now buy from the Compostela office, All 1550km were recorded :)

I don’t see any reason that you can’t do something similar yourself :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

IMG_7499.JPG

3. Wessex Crusader

Cheers Rob! That's enormously encouraging and really puts my far less arduous journey into perspective.

RJS likes this.
  4. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

I am not so optimistic about this. I think it depends a lot in the person that you will find at the pilgrims office in Santiago and in how much you want to fight for the certificate (in my case I am not interested in the distance certificate at all - further more I never purchased the distance certificate).

I say so because in one camino I arrived to Santiago with another pilgrim. This guy had walked SJPdP to Leon, following the Camino Frances, from Leon he took the Camino del Salvador (Leon - Oviedo) and from Oviedo the Camino Primitivo (Oviedo - Santiago). He asked for the distance certificate and the person there told him that he had walked SJPdP - Santiago and, no matter the way he had followed, the distance for the certificate was the same: The official distance for the Camino Frances. As the guy was not so interested in how many kilometer were stated in the certificate, he decided not to fight too much and to accept that distance. They issued the distance certificate like that. :(

As I said, for me this is not a relevant issue, but for other people it could be.

Wessex Crusader likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    My Experiences were the complete opposite of the above poster – There were actually two of us getting the extra, more detailed Compostela’s that included the distance we walked, my friend that set off from his home in Devon and joined me en-route – We queued together and got different people in the Compostela office and he had no problems either – In fact we both cause quite a bit of interest as apparently not too many people set off from their own homes in the UK :)

Also – Although this is the only time that I have bought the extra Compostela, all of my previous visits to the Compostela Office have been Very Friendly and I have never had to “Fight” for anything – The only slight disappointment that I ever encountered was when I wasn’t awarded with a Compostela for my Camino Primitivo – Although I had walked from Villaviciosa to Melide, but then caught the bus from there into Santiago de Compostela (As I had no wish to walk this same overcrowded section again) – But as the rules state that you have to walk the last 100km, I didn’t qualify – So Entirely my own fault !! and as I already have quite a collection of Compostela’s, one more or less wasn’t so important ;-)

Therefore, I see no reason why you shouldn’t be awarded with your more detailed Compostela’s that includes the distance that you have walked and see no reason why you would have to fight for it either !!

Best Regards

Rob

Wessex Crusader likes this.
  6. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

I absolutely agree with you. Probably instead of saying fight I had to say "fight" in brackets, because it wasn't any fight at all!!

I think it probably depends on the person and on the season. Most probably in January, with a small number of pilgrims, the people in Compostela can take a little more time to calculate the distance and in August, being so crowded, they may have a certain tendency to issue the certificates as quick as possible, not loosing so much time in calculations.

What is true is that the people at the pilgrims office in Santiago has always been extremely friendly, at least in my case, and I really thank them for that!!

RJS and Wessex Crusader like this.
  7. Pam Simpson

Pam Simpson Member

I walked the CW as a training exercise for the Frances (the Test Way is much more challenging and prepares you in some small way for the hike from SJPdP to Roncesvalles) but personnel at both Salisbury and Winchester Cathedrals had no stamps they could give us. If you walk from Ferrol to Santiago, you have earned your Compostella - I did it in September 2016 and there was no problem, just remember to get 2 stamps each day.

Wessex Crusader and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. Wessex Crusader

Thanks for the advice Pam. The Clarendon Way option looks like a non-starter as neither cathedral has got back to me regarding accreditation.

So off to Ferrol it is then! Anybody else up for it at the end of May?