1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class of 2014 for Le Puy Route

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by IrishGurrrl, Feb 24, 2014.

1. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi folks

I will start walking from Le Puy en Velay to St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday 15th April 2014. I'm going to be travelling with a camino buddy for part of the way until she has to go home to Canada while I continue onwards to the Pyrenees.

Just wondering if anyone else is planning to start the Le Puy route around that time?

Feel free to post below :)

Eilish

2. unadara

unadara New Member

Eilish
    How many days have you got? Where are your flights into? I hope you can let us know how you get on. April is early to walk this route? But I go to walk the VdelaPlata, 9th April, 2014. Who knows what next year's plan will be.
    Buen camino.

3. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi Una,

Via de la Plata would be one I'd love to walk too :) It sounds like such a lovely route. Are you going to do the full thing or a section? How much time will you be on the road? :) Hope you have a fantastic time and enjoy every minute :)

Flights wise I'll be flying from Dublin into Lyon on the 12th April, meeting my Canadian camino buddy there and then the next day we're getting the train to Le Puy en Velay (starting point). The train takes under 4 hours I think. She's able to walk for about 25 days with me then has to catch a flight home while I will continue walking on to SJPdeP.

I want to get to SJPdeP by around the 26th May so I've about 43 days in all on the route which is way above what people normally take to complete it (usually people allow 32-35 days I think). However, unlike my last camino where I only had ONE rest day for the entire route from SJPdeP to Finisterre (eek!) we plan to take our time with as many rest days and sightseeing days as possible.

For anyone who has completed this route, it seems to be a firm favourite amongst pilgrims with alot of off-road walking through very scenic areas. The first 2 weeks seem to be a particular highlight for many even if the terrain is alot more strenuous. From what I have read on the forums and in the guidebooks there are many beautiful places, amazing scenery, quaint French villages and lots of character and history all along the Le Puy Route. I can't wait!

If you exclude the sightseeing days from the total number of days I'll be en route, I'm not really spending much longer walking the route than the average pilgrim. As most of the sightseeing days are during the first half of the camino when I am walking with my friend I will probably have to make up time on the second half somehow so I can get to SJPdeP in time for my flight home... . Sure will see what happens and how I feel day to day :) Just so happy to be getting so much time out in nature and on the camino. Here's hoping the weather is kind to us along the way and I am physically as prepared as I need to be (these crazy winter storms allowing!) :)

4. chrobi

chrobi Guest

Hi to all,

Two friends and I, all retired, all from New Jersey, will be doing 9 days of the Chemin du Puy - Le Puy to Conques - in late May and early June this year. Love to hear any thoughts about those sections of the trail. I am aware of the topography: we picked these sections at least partly because of the natural beauty in this area.

Did the Coast to Coast trail in England in 2011. Hoping/expecting the weather will be better on the Chemin du Puy.

Charlie

5. djhilditch

djhilditch Guest

Charlie, 2 of us from St. Louis will be doing this route in mid May, over about 12 days. I have heard there is an agricultural festival ("transhumance") May 24-25 in Aubrac. This may affect us more than you. Safe travels!