1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Route Napoleon November Through March

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnkleHammy, Oct 26, 2018.

1. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Most interesting Unklehammy! The reference to fines for trespassing and rescue efforts got my attention. Good thing the trespassing is only deemed a “light” infraction at a cost of up to 12,000 €. I’d hate to see the charge assessed by the municipality on a more serious charge. Buen Camino!

danvo, James Orrock and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. UnkleHammy

I liked the way they broke down the fees by what was going to happen, then there was penalty too.

4. Corry

Corry New Member

I am wondering what this is all about ... Is there a real safety ussue due to visibility, snow or rock fall in the mountains? Have there been recent major rescue operations that have gone wrong? Is this not a public track? with common access normally.
    I wonder what is the reason for all this fuss.

Happy Caminho everyone Don’t get fined!

5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

6. UnkleHammy

Thanks @Wily, after Google translate worked it over it is clear that winter crossing of the mountains is unsafe and that the locals are getting tired of dragging people out of dangerous conditions.

@Corry @Wily's link should explain what is going on.

oldman, James Orrock and Wily like this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I walked the Ruta Napoleon in 2015 and the Valcarlos in 2015. We enjoyed walking Valcarlos. The hike includes walking through a few small towns which was nice to take a break and sip warm cafe con leche, plus places to use the restroom and refill your bottles of water. There is some road / asphalt walking, but not too much. The hike through the woods and along streams was very enjoyable. Of course, there is a steep climb towards the end, but not as steep as Napoleon. We plan to walk Valcarlos again in 2019. Maybe save Napoleon for our 4th camino. Bob

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Sorry for typo. We walked Valcarlos route in 2017.

9. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

The article to me reads that many pilgrims are not adequately conditioned, do not have adequate equipment (I read that to mean proper clothing, etc.), and just are not knowledgeable about the conditions and what it takes to be successful. Most don't know what they are getting into. It also noted that this is the fourth time they have taken this action. Coming from Minnesota where temperatures can get down to -30 degrees F and whiteout blizzard conditions, I don't have a problem with this action. I am pretty confident that I have the appropriate gear for a winter crossing, but getting caught up there in a blinding snowstorm would be a terrible situation. There are the two shelter huts, which would provide a bit of wind protection in an emergency, but not much else (that assumes that you can find them when the snow storm hits). For those who know real winter conditions and have the proper clothing and equipment it would probably be okay. It is those that don't know winter conditions and aren't physically prepared that are causing the issues. That is what I got out of the article. Thanks for linking the article Wily.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.