1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closest Albergue From Porto Airport.

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Anner, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anner

Anner New Member

I arrive at the Porto airport at 4 pm on 7 July. I hear this is where you begin the trail. My thought was to walk and hour or 2 after landing. Is this feasible? Would I find an albergue to stay at. Thanks Anne

2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Ann - Do you already have your Pilgrim's Passport or Credencial? You'll need this if you want to stay in the albergues. If you don't already have it, you can get one at the Porto Cathedral for just 2€. However, I believe you may be arriving too late in the afternoon to get there before it closes. If that is the case, you'd be better off going into the city, stay at an albergue in the historical district, and get your Credencial in the morning when the cathedral opens at 9 am.

If you already have your Credencial, then yes, you can start off straight from the airport. If you have a copy of the Brierley guide, you'll see that the airport is very close to one of the Caminho routes. Based on the map, it appears that the nearest albergue is the municipal at Labruge (but only 8 beds) which doesn't look like it's more than 5 km away. You could then walk along the coast for part of the next day up to Vila do Conde before cutting in to the Central route. From what I can tell, the next closest albergues are at either Vairao or Vilarinho (directly on the Central route). But with your late arrival, those might be a bit farther than you want to walk that late. As most pilgrims arrive at their destination albergues prior to 4 pm, you might want to check into making a reservation due to your late arrival. I know that Casa do Laura in Vilarinho takes reservations. It's not usually possible to make reservations at the municipal albergues. As there aren't a lot of albergue choices along this section, you don't want to get somewhere and see the "Completo" sign. July will be a busy time!

IMHO, if I were arriving this late in the afternoon, even assuming you're on time, I'd overnight in Porto and start fresh the next day. From downtown, you have a couple options for Caminho routes north. Bom Caminho!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. Anner

Anner New Member

Thank you for the information. It seems I am able to get my camino visa online. However I think I will play it safe and spend the night in Porto. Are you able to advice me on the best (cheapest) way to get to downtown Porto?

4. Wily

Hey Ann - I think spending the night in Porto is a good decision. Getting downtown is both easy and inexpensive. Walk right out the main entrance of the airport, cross the street and you'll find the metro right in front of you. You can purchase your metro ticket at a kiosk right inside the metro station. A ticket downtown is about 2€. If you want to go to the heart of the historical district, take the metro (E line) to the Trindade Station. Transfer here to the D Line direction Santo Ovidio. Two stations down is Sao Bento. You're now in the middle of the historical district close to the cathedral. There may be a better exit to use, but that would depends on where your albergue is.

When leaving Porto the next morning, you have several options. You can walk north along the Central route, but that will take you for a rather long stroll through the less than attractive industrial zone of the city. You could also bypass part of this by getting back on the metro to one of the northern stations and begin walking there. You could also take the metro to the coast and get off at the Matosinhos Market and walk up the coast your first day. You could also, beginning at the cathedral, start walking along the river to the coast and then head straight north. What we did was take the #500 bus from near Sao Bento up along the river to Matosinhos and began walking there to Vila do Conde. So, some nice options await you. Bom Caminho!

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Comprehensive replies above and only one snippet to add

When I walked The Camino Portuguese there was a lack of good budget accommodation in central Porto, But after extensive web- searching I found the Andarilho Hostel. Centrally located and with good metro links (Direct metro from the airport to within an easy stroll of the hostel) this made a very good choice,
    Beds from 15 euro in 6 / 8 / 10 person dormitories, Bed linen and towels provided in the price, Good showers and toilets and lockers for your more valuable items (Key from reception for a small deposit)
    No Curfew

Website http://www.urcamino.com/camino-portugues/porto/andarilho

Address: Andarilho Oporto Hostel. Rua da Firmeza nº 364. 4000 Porto

Directions: Arriving by metro: Exit on the Bolhão stop. Turn to Rua Santa Catarina street (main shopping street), turn left, walk up and turn on the first to the right, Rua da Firmeza

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

6. Wily

Hey Ann - One last thought for you regarding an albergue in Porto. Had we walked the Central route right out of the city, we were going to stay at the Albergue de Peregrinos Porto. This particular albergue is right on the Camino route and about 3 km north of the cathedral. So, if you have decided in this route, it gives you a bit of a headstart in the morning as you leave the city. You'll see on their website that you can reserve a bed there and the cost is a very reasonsble 10€. As they suggest, they get busy in the summer so they encourage reservations. And as you are arriving late in the afternoon, a reservation would guarantee you that bed for the night. They're also close to the metro station Carolina Michaelis which is directly on the line in from the airport, so you'd have the option that evening of either walking into the historical district or taking the metro in or out. If you decide to walk the Coastal route up to Vila do Conde, you could still easily catch the metro from there over to Matosinhos to begin your walk. Bom Caminho!

https://www.gronze.com/portugal/oporto/porto/albergue-peregrinos-porto

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    On small point that I forgot to mention Anne was that the Andarilho Hostel now offers a 10% reduction for Pilgrims – So IF you decide to opt to stay in central Porto, then, as they say, every little helps :)

Best Regards

Rob