1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothing After Walking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ampiji, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Hi,
    I'm busy organizing for my Camino & trying very hard to adhere to recommended lists but have a couple of questions. I am packing one pair of shorts, leggings and one pair lightweight pants with zipped shorts, two T shirts, fleece jacket, rain jacket etc but have what sounds like a silly question: After arriving at your destination for the night, what do people change into after a shower in light of clothes either being dirty, sweaty etc ? I don't want to over pack but am thinking of bringing a pair of pants and clean top just for night time ( not sleeping in ). Any help from seasoned pilgrims would be greatly appreciated.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Good Question

When I arrive in the Refugio, I like to get my shower and all my washing done ASAP so that it has the maximum chances of drying (Drying clothes can be problematic if you get a prolonged spell of wet weather, so lightweight, quick drying kit is essential) – As I tend to walk in shorts, in the evenings I change into my lightweight walking trousers and put on a clean T-Shirt (As well as a clean set of underwear)

I then sleep in the same T-Shirt and Boxers and wear them for walking the next day.

Every now and then I only walk a ½ day and have a good catch up with washing and wash the long trousers and wear shorts while these are drying – They are usually dry in a couple of hours and if I need to, I can then wash out the shorts and they are then hopefully dry for the morning too.

Sometimes it all goes a bit wrong when the weather lets me down; I then have 3 pairs of socks, 3 T-shirts (Usually one long-sleeved) and 3 pairs of trekking boxers – One pair / item on, one spare, and one tied to the outside my rucksack hopefully drying :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I have three pairs of pants that are lightweight enough for me. 1) Shorts that I walk in and wash every couple of days. 2) long pants that have zip-off legs that I wear in the afternoon & evenings and will become my walking shorts if my shorts don't dry enough or get ridiculously torn or dirty during the day. They usually go the whole month before needing a wash. 3) lightweight Northface long pants that are my travel pants, get over jet-lag pants, tourist pants after the Camino, church pants and emergency second pair of pants if something happens to either of the first two.

4. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

I brought same plus long T to wear out of shower/sleep in and changed into what I would be wearing next day and washed the dirty clothes. Quit a few places have washing machines. Don't forget cheap shower flip-flops.

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

During our last / second camino Frances, I had one pair of hiking shorts and one pair of hiking pants. Both Fjallraven brand - expensive, but very well suited for hiking. I wore the pants or shorts for three consecutive days, then washed them with other dirty clothes.

I had four Icebreaker tops - two long sleeve and two short sleeve. Also four sets of socks - Icebreaker merino wool and silk liners. And four sets of underwear. This allowed us to wash our clothes every third day, since I could wear the clean fourth set after my shower and then wash the dirty stuff and hang them out to dry. I also had a pair of gym trunks and a short sleeve shirt for sleeping at night. This routine worked very well for us and we we'll follow the same routine for camino #3 in 2019.

By the way, we brought plastic laundry clips with us. They don't weigh much and some places have very few laundry pins. The plastic clips worked better for us than safety pins, which we used camino 1. The safety pins are not as easy to use as the plastic clips and can cause small holes in your clothes if the wind is whipping your laundry around on the line.

It's worth planning ahead to decide which stages you'll wash your laundry. If you don't arrive until mid or late afternoon, there may be a queue for the washing machine and not much sun left to dry your clothes on the line.

Bob

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I carried about the same clothing as @RJS . When you are on the Camino it is not place for high fashion clothing. Almost every one you meet will be in the same condition that you are and will understand your clothing choices.

Remember that:
    1.Anything you take with you adds to the weight on your back.
    2. You can throw out anything that you don't need.
    3. If you don't have it with you, you can buy what you need in the next large city.
    4. Spain is a civilized county and you will have fellow helpful pilgrims, and locals, that will help.

7. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

So true UnkleHammy. There are so many Pilgrim shops and stores. Packing much lighter next time....

8. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Hi Rob,
    Many thanks and yes I'd say washing is the key !

9. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Many thanks for your info!

10. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Many th
    Many thanks !

11. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Thanks very much Bob !

12. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

...and for drying take few pcs of safepins instead of clothespins - they are much lighter and smaller. Totally agree with @RJS, @UnkleHammy and all others. For Camino you must pack with minimum of things, so you must take combination - things you can use for sleeping/wearing on the way/wearing after shower in albergue. Btw. - on all my photos from camino I am either with blue or green t-shirt. :) (you can see :D )
    Don't take many things (for hot and/or cold weather) but things you can use in many layers, lightweight. Buen Camino :)

13. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Many thanks !

14. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I take only two safety pins for wool socks hanging from my backpack. So that I don't put holes in sock liners, shirts, underwear, etc, I use 25mm paper binder clips. They secure the clothes without making holes and they are more compact and lightweight than clothespins. I also carry a long piece of paracord as by the time I reach an albergue, there is often no space left on the line. If we stay in a hotel, it helps dry stuff in the room overnight.
    (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...dent-Files-Documents/1934570_32491311712.html )

Ampiji, RJS and Ginamarie like this.
  15. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I picked up two pair of very light weight pants with zip-off legs and usually had the legs zipped off by 10 am (we started walking about 7:10 am every morning. When I received them in the mail, the total package weighed just 2 lbs. Just about all of the pockets had Velcro flaps to prevent pick pockets from being interested. For tops I had two Underarmor short sleeve t-shirts, two Underarmor long sleeve shirts, and one long sleeve fleece so I could dress in layers. Then I carried a pair of gym shorts and a very lightweight t-shirt that I wore after showering and for in bed at night. That way I only had to wash clothes every other day at the most. We had a group of four, so whenever available we shared a washer and dryer load for the four of us. 1.5 euros per person every other day to wash and dry beat washing and drying by hand. I did not carry gloves, but wore socks on my hands for the few very cool mornings. All very lightweight stuff. Now that I am home and doing presentations on the Camino, I frequently dress in my Camino clothes for these, but literally freeze whenever the temp is below freezing which is most of the time here in Minnesota.

16. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hey Gina, remember I had that ultra thin cotton indian top (split sides) and ultra-light cotton tights - they were so comfortable and allowed me to wash all my hiking gear at same time :) also meant I was able to parade through town with my bright pink injinji socks and blue teva sandals which really caught the attention of the locals haha

17. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

From my personal experience, I always bring leggins and a cozy jumper to change into once I get to the destination, that could be used as pj's too, but avoid walking with them during the day. Under the jumper, long or short sleeve (depending on the season). Bought a pair of leggins and a polar jumper in Decathlon for less than 15€, warm and effective.

UnkleHammy, Ginamarie and Ampiji like this.
  18. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Great, many thanks and yes I've packed leggins ( good idea thanks ) ! Do you mean a polar fleece ? Ta again

19. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

Ampiji likes this.
  20. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Many thanks have found this shop which is similar to Katmandu here is Australia but much cheaper. I bought one like the pic you sent from Katmandu, black,pockets, zip all the way down and a hood but can you believe it I think I accidentally threw it out as I can't find it & I never got to wear it ! Ii have located Decathlon in Sydney. Thanks for all your tips.