Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Combining the Camino Aragones and Primitivo

Discussion in 'Camino Aragones' started by Samoht, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Samoht

Samoht New Member

[h=3]For my second Camino I am considering starting in Pau, FR and walking the Camino Aragones to Puente la Reina. Then taking a bus or train to Oviedo where I will continue my walk to Santiago on the Camino Primitivo.

I already have train tickets from Paris and lodging arranged in Pau. My arrival in Pau is 27 August, and my return date back to North America is 8 October from Barcelona.

Does this sound like a practical plan?

Tom the Hillwalker[/h]

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    [FONT=&amp]Sounds like a fair plan to me Tom[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I have walked both The Camino Aragon’s and The Camino Primitivo and are probably my two favourite routes[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] I started The Camino Aragon’s at Oleron Ste Marie and it took me just over a week to walk to Obanos which isn’t far away fromPuente la Reina[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Details on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/2c/ including how I chose to break the route into daily stages as well as some reviews on where I stayed[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I aren’t sure on busses from Puente la Reina toOviedo – But as Spain has such an excellent long distance bus service, I am sure that this will be fairly straight forwards[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]You have time, so might wish to start walking [/FONT][FONT=&amp]The Camino Primitivo at [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Villaviciosa – by doing this you are stating at the coast (Practically) and take in the Monastery at Valdedios[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The route from Villaviciosa to Melide is around 350k and took us just under 2 weeks - Details on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/ - Again including how I chose to break the route into daily stages as well as some reviews on where I stayed[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]From Melide it’s around 53k to Santiago de Compostela, so another couple of days [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Good Luck and Buen Camino[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Rob[/FONT]

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I highly recommend the Aragones route. I walked part of it in 2005 and it was great. Very quiet and peaceful but still enough pilgrims to meet and chat with people in the evening. The route markings were not as good and I got lost for a few hours one day - but then again we were going on an extension route that day to see a very old church cut into the face of a cliff - it was well worth it.

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes – I Totally Agree with Leslie - The side trip from Santa Cilia de Jaca to The Monasterio Viejo de San Juan de la Pena is a worthwhile side trip – http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/22590b/
    You could do it in one long day, or if you had time, split it into two and stay at The Monasterio Nuevo de San Juan de la Pena.
    Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

5. Beachboy

Beachboy New Member

We actually did a return trip by taxi, the owner at the Aragones Restaurant (on the way) organised it. I think we paid 30 euro and only had about 30 minutes in the old Monastry and about 15 minutes in lovely old church 1/2 way back. The 30 minutes in the old section, although not long was wonderful and I'm sure you could negotiate whatever you wanted, so if you don't have the time and you have the money it is just another way of seeing something magnificent.

6. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Tom,
    Best decision you will ever make in deciding on the Primitivo. If you have two extra days, go back to Villaviciosa and start from the coast.
    P.S. Keep it to yourself-best walk ever.
    Slan,
    Sean,
    Dublin

7. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    There is a possibility of taking an early morning bus from Jaca to the Monastery, visit this most interesting place and then walk downhill towards Santa Cilia or even until Arrès. The path is spectacular though hard on the knees!:)