1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Count Down Has Begun!

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Canadian Wander, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Alright, the clock has begun, 25 days until flight to Porto! Of course, it us a milk run, but that is the norm from here in the west to almost any spot.
    But, the gear is checked, the long hikes (with full pack of course) are at normal distance +, and the excitement has begun. We have our booking for arrival in Porto, and in Santiago, and then afterwards back to Porto for a few days of fun.
    Eat, walk, sleep...soon.

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

You guys got this covered!!

THE PURPOSE OF LIFE, AFTERALL, IS TO LIVE IT,
    TO TASTE EXPERIENCE TO THE UTMOST,
    TO REACH OUT EAGERLY AND WITHOUT FEAR
    FOR NEWER AND RICHER EXPERIENCES.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Buen Camino!!!!

Nora, Corry, UnkleHammy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Canadian Wander

Thanks Hinds! Hope the temp comes down a bit though!

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  4. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

..take best shoes possible. Otherwise you will thank to God for every meter of asphalt road. Bom Caminho!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. calowie

calowie Active Member

You guys should be excited! And hopefully the weather will cool down a little for you. It seems that by only booking the beginning and end of your trip you will have lots of flexibility. We stayed on the coast all the way rather than cut back to the central route, and then took the 'spiritual variant' after Pontevedra, again along the coast to keep cool. As you know there is no right way... just your way. We will be living vicariously through your exploits, so make sure you send updates! Bom caminho.

6. Canadian Wander

Thanks Calowie!

7. EhorShk Canada

EhorShk Canada New Member

Hey wanderers - I'll be a couple of days behind you and I'm also getting excited about my first walk on the CP. I'm still in process of dusting off my Camino gear from three years ago. But no chance of this plodding 72 year old catching up to 'high-stepping' young ones.

Buen Camino!

8. Canadian Wander

LOL, high stepping...gotta remember that. I will be in full wander mode!
    Perhaps we shall meet up in Santiago! Enjoy.

9. KateM

KateM New Member

I'll be there same time next year! Are you planning to blog? If so, where can we read of your adventure? I'd love to hear your impressions and any advice you can impart.
    Buen Camino....you lucky things.

Canadian Wander likes this.
  10. Canadian Wander

Morning Kate! 16 days until we fly...can`t wait!
    We will not be blogging, I keep my online stuff low when on the Camino so I don`t get swept up in the very stuff I am trying to clear my mind of, but I will certainly be adding my two cents worth afterwards. I got a ton of great advice from Wily and Laurie F, who both rave about this path, so I will be comparing notes.
    As to advice...well, for now I say... check your gear, lose as much pack weight as you can, and walk with the boots, socks and pack you intend to take...many people seem to do the walk distance part, but don`t wear their pack, which means they are missing out on a number of really important lessons!
    Cheers
    R

danvo, KateM, hindsfeet and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Kate - Excellent advice offered by CW about gear and footwear. Let me reinforce his comment on keeping your backpack weight as low as possible. You don’t need much on the Camino and most of us have the tendency to overpack. I now have my pack weight down to around just 6 kg. It’s a very light pack to carry which increases the joy of walking. I mention this in part because from Porto to Tui, you’ll be walking on cobblestones. Although I didn’t have any problems with them, they gave my wife’s knees problems. Therefore, the lighter your pack, the easier it will be on this stretch of Camino up to the border with Spain. And footwear/footcare! So important! You’ll find a number of threads on this Forum discussing this most important topic. The CP is a great walk and one that I look forward to doing again. Bom Caminho!

12. KateM

KateM New Member

Thanks...I'll look forward to hearing of your adventures after you return. Have a great time and soak it all in!

13. KateM

KateM New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've read about the need for good footwear and will be buying and wearing in the best shoes I can early next year. We trained with our packs last time (2016 Frances Way) and will definitely do the same for the CP. Do knee supports/strapping help knees to stay strong? Mine sometimes cause me some concern.
    Thanks again.
    Kate

Wily likes this.
  14. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Kate - When my wife first started having kneee problems on the CP, we headed directly to the pharmacy. They recommended an elastic knee support which did help her quite a bit. She also regularly rubbed her knee down with Ibufren cream which we also picked up at the pharmacy. Using a luggage transfer service for her backpack for a couple days so as to take the weight off helped her situation as well. She had worked through most of her problem by the time we reached Santiago. Since they weigh next to nothing, I’d through elastic knee supports in with your gear. The cobbles are an odd, uneven surface to walk on hour after hour. Hopefully, you have no problems with them. Bom Caminho!

danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  15. Canadian Wander

One week and counting... (deep James Earl Jones voice)
    Funny story: ran into a guy yesterday who was sitting beside me that overheard a lady and I talking about Portugal. She asked what the current weather was like. This guy answers before I could, and said his wife was there right now doing this walking thing. I asked what kind of walking thing, and he told me I may never have heard of this, but their is the thing called the Camino, and she was doing it with her mom and daughter (3 generations - how cool is that?).
    The really funny part, is a few months before my wife and I did the Camino France, we met this lady who gave us a run-down and demo'd her pack, etc.
    Life is pretty funny. World is a small place.

Wily, UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and 2 others like this.
  16. danvo

World is really very small place :D Thanks! and - Buen Camino!!! (or - Bom Caminho :) )

17. Canadian Wander

Thanks Danvo!
    Just unpacked, then repacked my bag again. Not really needing to do it, but it is part of my battle planning!

hindsfeet and danvo like this.
  18. danvo

One example that world is really"small" : My friend -teacher- is these days on Camino... She wrote to me few days ago that she met one of her student on the way :)

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.