1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple Packing For The Camino De Santiago | What We Take With Us?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walking Nature World, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Walking Nature World

Walking Nature World Member

Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around.

In this video we are willing to show you what things we are going to take with us on our Camino de Santiago del Norte. As you might know we've been already hiking for one year but this is our biggest and the most serious hike ever. And so we did our best to pack only necessary things that we really need. And before we start we wanted to point out that we are working on getting our backpacks lighter and all things lighter. But this is a long journey and for now our backpacks are not in the perfect state but we want to show it to you anyway.

If you are interested in any particular thing that we showed you in this video leave us a comment below and we may film a separate video about it. We are interested to know what things do you take with you for any longer hikes that you do and also we'll appreciate any tips that you'll have for us to lighten our backpack.

Watch the full video here:

Hope you enjoyed our video! Leave us a comment if you have any further questions left or just want to share your experience. We would love to read your feedback - it is very important to us!

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Guys - Another good video! I think I can say that most of us work at keeping the backpack weight down. Even though it may be your longest Camino, you still won’t need that much! I’ve been able to reduce my pack weight over three Caminos to now just a bit under 6 kg. It’s a nice light pack that is comfortable on even the longest of days. If this helps, here’s my packing list along with weights from last spring when my wife and I walked from Ferrol to Santiago to Finisterre. Buen Camino!

Gear for the Camino Inglés

Packing weights. Packed Wearing

(ounces) (Ounces)

Patagonia Pants (2) 9.5. 9.5
    Short Sleeve Shirts (2) 4.0 4.0
    Pullover Fleece. 12.5
    North Face Rain Jacket/Shell 10.0
    Gerry Down Vest 8.5
    Base layer
    Long sleeved shirt 6.75
    Pants 5.0
    injinji ToesocksSocks (3) 2.50 1.25
    Underwear (3) 4.0 2.0
    Ball cap 2.0
    Buff 1.25
    Gloves & Touk 2.5
    OR Low Gaiters 3.75
    Saucony Exodus Trail-running shoe. 22.5
    PR/Soles Sandals 7.0
    Sunglasses. 1.0

Equipment/Supplies

Osprey Stratos 36L Backpack 48.0
    W/ Rain Clover
    Fjallraven Sleeping bag 17.0
    (1-season)
    Sunland Microfiber Towel 4.5
    Opinel pocket knife 1.6
    Toiletries/First Aid Kit 19.0
    H2O bottle (500ml) filled 17.5
    BAFX Hiking Poles 21.5

Extras

Brierley Guidebook 4.50
    Canon G9X camera /case 10.25
    Mini iPad 15.5
    Electronic Accessories 9.5

201 ounces or 12.56 lbs. or 5.71 kg

hindsfeet likes this.
  3. Walking Nature World

Thank you for your comment and for providing a very detailed information about your packing list. Definetely useful and we will be looking closely at it. Especially we are interested in the waterproof things like coats and pants cause we haven't got any. Thank you again.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Guys - Glad to pass on some ideas. We hit tremendous rain last spring walking the Inglés. On previous Caminos, I had carried a poncho. In the strong wind, which we had a lot of, I don’t find them as helpful. After this last walk, I picked up a pair of high quality, light weight rain pants by North Face (make sure they’re breathable) to go with my rain jacket. Although many folks like ponchos, my recommendation is for the rain jacket and pants combination (just personal preference).

Although the initial outlay for high quality gear may seem high, I can tell you that most of my gear will be heading out on their fourth Camino this year. From my experience, quality matters. Invest up front and it will last you a long time. Buen Camino!

5. Walking Nature World

Thank you for your advice. We try to stick with the high quality things always when we can. North Face pants look great, woul be a good addition to our hiking gear for the next season. We were hesitant about ponchos, probably they are not as comfortable when you are moving.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

upload_2019-1-24_17-13-32.png

7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@davebugg glad to see you back, it's been awhile now. I used to enjoy your equipment reviews, etc.

8. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

Thanks, UnkleHammy :)

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  9. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I get nostalgic when I see DustOff