1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crutches Yes I Am Serious

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

I am going back to walk the Camino again in April and my foot is still giving me grief .
    If I had to could I get crutches at St jean or pamploma .
    Just when you thought you had heard it all.;).

raymond john likes this.
  2. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

Now that is a Camino question I have never heard. I am certain that you can get crutches in Pamplona. I would bet that you can get them in SJPdP but I would not guarantee it.

You didn't ask about how sensible it would be to walk with crutches so I'll keep my mouth shut on that!

3. Terry Wilson

OK how sensible would it be???.
    There the floor is yours.

4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Most of the Camino is reasonably easy to walk on. However there are many places with steep walking such as down into Rochavells and down into Zuberi.

An important thing to consider here is how experienced are you when using crutches?

The last time I needed them it took me several days to get comfortable with them and that was 50 years ago (when I was younger).

Using hiking poles is totally different than using crutches.

Greg Canning and Ginamarie like this.
  5. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I have bungy jumped. I have been alone at 35m underwater with not enough air to reach the surface safely. I have tackled two armed robbers. I have walked through the slums of Mumbai alone at night. I have - God, please forgive me - driven a car from Manhattan to Bloomfield NJ in 1983 when so drunk that I could only remember tiny snippets like the argument with the toll lady. (luckily no one was injured)

I would never attempt to walk a Camino on crutches.

6. Terry Wilson

Pussy cat

MichaelSG likes this.
  7. Pam Simpson

Pam Simpson Member

I met a very courageous bloke walking the whole Camino on his crutches in 2016, and he did it! Not impossible, but I am in awe of him it made my aches and pains insignificant.

8. UnkleHammy

How was he carrying his pack?

Ginamarie likes this.
  9. Terry Wilson

While I am treating this with some humor I am quite serious about the possibility as I am committed to going back in April with others to walk again I have just finished my first walk last August so I am aware of the terrain so I think if I used my sticks for the hard rocky stuff and light weight crutches for the rest of it to rest my foot I think I could do it. I would have to engineer the ends to give me the option of spikes.
    I am in this situation because in August I rolled my foot at Burgos took a day off there and one day off in Leone and kept walking. Then slamed it into a concrete culvert fifteen k,s from Santiago. Nearly ended up in hospital. So it has never come right and so three months out from this trip I am looking at a backup plan.
    What could possible:) go wrong.;)

hindsfeet likes this.
  10. UnkleHammy

Think of dialing 112.

11. Terry Wilson

Can you book them in advanceo_O

MichaelSG likes this.
  12. Pam Simpson

Pam Simpson Member

He carried a small backpack so I presume he sent his big stuff on via jakotrans...

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Wow Terry.....you have come a LONG way! I remember your apprehension before your first Camino. I consider myself somewhat of a risk taker, but crutches on the Camino seems pretty dangerous. If I am purely honest with myself, if I was in your shoes...(or shoe, ha), and desperately wanted to head to the Camino again, I probably would wear one of those rehab medical walking boots. But as stubborn and independent as I am, I would probably consult my physician also. You don't want anything to happen that would prevent you from walking your third Camino! Wish you the very BEST. Buen Camino

14. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

During our two caminos, we saw several pilgrims with walking boots on one ankle or very braces being worn on ankle/knee. And we encountered pilgrims with obvious foot / knee problems walking very slowly.

Some of the uphills and downhills are challenging even for those of us that have no knee / foot problems and are reasonably fit. I'm sure you can manage on some of the stages, such as the long meseta. But on the climbs up/down to Roncesvalles, Zubiri, Alto de Perdon, O'Cebreiro . . . I can't imagine. You don't want to risk further damage to your foot.

It's your camino and you decide (with inputs from your doctor?). Why not delay your camino until your foot has fully healed?

One wild suggestion my wife made, saying if we wanted to capture some of the camino spirit and still enjoy the many towns we pass through - if/when we are unable to hike: rent a car and drive the camino frances from town to town. We'd not have a pilgrim's passport or collect sellos, and I'm sure we'd receive disapproving looks by some pilgrims, but we'd still have a great time ! Bob

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  15. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

hi Terry

I think I would have to agree with others. I am sure there are sections where walking with the help of crutches would be perfectly doable but on the climbs and particularly on the descents I think it would be very very difficult if not downright dangerous. But in fairness I have seen people on wheelchairs on sections I would have considered impossible and I have had young guys running in plimsoles down a hillside covered in wet paving slabs where I could barely keep my feet! I suppose it comes down to each persons ability but, and it is a big but, on the balance of probabilities and risk it's not something I would attempt.

In relation to BCB's reply above I use hiking poles and a knee support especially on the steep descents.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  16. UnkleHammy

If you decide to do this be sure to have some extra cash available to help solve mobility problems.

17. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Hi Terry
    There are many types of crutches we all have them. I met a lady on the camino who could not walk down hills, she would go down them backwards. Pilgrims who have completed the camino in wheel chairs .
    As expected you have received a wide range of advise. However ,the best advise I can give you, if you are determined to walk to camino ,is put your trust in God and go the distance and take all the challenges a day at a time.

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

18. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

Hi Terry. No matter what the logistics of doing the Camino on crutches,there are too many people going around the world on crutches on all sorts of terrain ,but as I presume you are not a registered invalid, I would not think that you would get any kind of insurance cover, if something happens the emergency services would be quite justified in charging you for their service's .Fine if you can afford to cover all you're own expenses ,including Air Ambulance, please do not put others at risk just because you want to go for a walk spend your time and money getting better , you are the only one who is insisting going back this year.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  19. UnkleHammy

Hi
    I am from the US and have never heard of a "registered invalid" is this a European thing? That does something for the seemingly universal health care that is in Europe.